2017 CX-5 Soul Red Crystal Metallic

Of course, the Mazda dealership where I work isn't going to be Mazda anymore come Monday and there is no way to get a warranty claim started by then
Initiate the request through Mazda USA. See post #125 in this thread for a link to the online form. That's what I did for my 2017 with SRCM paint, and they got back to me within a day or two. Obviously, you'll have to take it to a different Mazda dealer for the inspection.

Initiate the request through Mazda USA. See post #125 in this thread for a link to the online form. That's what I did for my 2017 with SRCM paint, and they got back to me within a day or two. Obviously, you'll have to take it to a different Mazda dealer for the inspection.

Quoting the post for ease of reference:

I was recently contacted by a representative from Mazda, who's been working with me since I filed my complaint back in November about my paint chipping. She said that she's received numerous complaints from people with similar issues, and it's now being escalated to their engineering team. I strongly encourage anyone that's having this issue to go to Mazda's website, and file a complaint. The only way this will get resolved is if enough of our voices are heard. Going to the dealership is not useful, they will not report these issues to Mazda corporate.

1) go to www.mymazda.com
2) Scroll to bottom of screen and click on "contact us"
3) Fill out the form, and explain the issue you're having with the paint chips.

Just a quick update on my situation (sadly, for anyone that cares (rolleyes)). I got my car back on Nov 1 after a partial repaint. The new paint had defects. Dealer recommended we wait until Spring (i.e. warm weather) to do 2nd repaint. I just this week agreed to do so. However, I did reach out to the dealer's owner (who owns many brand dealerships in the area) a couple weeks ago to discuss a trade-in deal. They made me an offer that I had to refuse, as I wasn't going to go substantially further into debt on a new CX-5 just to end this headache. I didn't expect Mazda Corp. to bend over backwards to appease me.

Just a quick update on my situation (sadly, for anyone that cares (rolleyes)). I got my car back on Nov 1 after a partial repaint. The new paint had defects. Dealer recommended we wait until Spring (i.e. warm weather) to do 2nd repaint. I just this week agreed to do so. However, I did reach out to the dealer's owner (who owns many brand dealerships in the area) a couple weeks ago to discuss a trade-in deal. They made me an offer that I had to refuse, as I wasn't going to go substantially further into debt on a new CX-5 just to end this headache. I didn't expect Mazda Corp. to bend over backwards to appease me.

Seems a little odd for the dealership to want to wait for warm weather. I had some minor paint work done by a dealer in the dead of winter, and it came out perfectly.

Weird.

Seems a little odd for the dealership to want to wait for warm weather. I had some minor paint work done by a dealer in the dead of winter, and it came out perfectly.

Weird.
Its a strategy called "will eventually get bored and go away"
With busier people this is a good strategy. I doubt I would be buying another Mazda anytime soon. Not enough value and just above Mitsubishi in mpg#s is poor. The new 6 does 24/33 non turbo. A 4spd Corolla did slightly better in 2013.

There is a link early in this thread to Mazda customer service. Enter an inquiry and they will get in touch and refer you to a dealer.

Make an appointment with the dealer and plan on leaving your car (remove ALL personal property). The factory will be in touch with the dealer and will have a loaner car for you. They will take a few days so they can take photos of the chips, and get authorization from Mazda to send it to a body shop for estimates. Typically Mazda spends a week or two grinding the body shop down on their quote, and only when that is done to they ask or your authorization to repaint the effected areas.

My car had issues on most of it's panels and it is SCR, so it took months to repaint (including multiple repaints along the way).

PRO TIP: Make sure you like the loaner car they offer you as you might be in it awhile.

Before meeting with the service manager, look closely at all panels, and take pictures of all with any issues. My front passenger door had a bunch of chips in areas you would not expect problems. And the edges of all the doors showed a lot of chips. The problem is the tinted color coat not adhering to the primer coats so problems can show up anywhere.

Before meeting with the service manager, look closely at all panels, and take pictures of all with any issues. My front passenger door had a bunch of chips in areas you would not expect problems. And the edges of all the doors showed a lot of chips. The problem is the tinted color coat not adhering to the primer coats so problems can show up anywhere.

That describes my machine, plus a lot more showing up on the hood now and some on the driver side doors. But Mazda and their body shop swear it's "rock chips" showing up in clusters inside my door handles and elsewhere. I've just decided to live with it and when the thing rusts out I'll buy something else that isn't a Mazda. I plan on keeping it till it falls apart anyway, so not like I care much for trade-in value. Shame tho, cause the car otherwise has held up well so far for the past 35k km. Haven't had a single other issue, but they refuse to acknowledge this one, so no more new Mazdas for me. (wiggle)(spin)

I'll probably go back to Hyundai/Kia tbh, Hyundai has treated me well in just about every issue I've had with any of their vehicles. And I've had some big ones with the coupe I had. Even though it was tuned and outside factory spec, they replaced the motor, and the gearbox in it on separate ocassions. That's why I went back for the Genesis Sedan; no hassle customer service. Only reason I had to go with another brand was due to bank reasons. Was still technically paying out the Genesis when I had to buy another car, even though it was totalled, and their bank wouldn't approve the second car due to the situation at the time. Mazda approved me no questions asked at their standard rate, and the CX-5 drives better than anything else in the segment, hands down; plus the great Canadian warranty they have. Although I'm beginning to questions how that might turn out if I do have any issues down the road, since they aren't too eager to warranty this paint issue.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me the first model year that had soul red crystal metallic paint?
I saw a KE in a parking lot today, and it had a few chips, just like mine.

2016 had Soul Red but no Crystal (I have one). 2017 was the first year for SRC.

Back