2017 CX-5 Soul Red Crystal Metallic

I understand that. A body shop can repaint a car but it is not the same controlled environment that is used at the factory. Maybe I’m wrong but does any body shop use robotics for example?

The application of Soul Red Crystal is a mystery to me as every single minute rectangle Of aluminium is aligned in the same direction. How they do that must be fascinating.

Correct. When my Z06 arrived, one of the fenders was actually cracked. I had Bowling Green dropship me a brand new factory painted fender to avoid a body-shop job on a brand new car. (FYI, those fenders (front) are $1700 before a drop of paint hits them, and they weigh less than the paint that's on them.).

I watched cars painted at BG, or panels, rather. There is paint, an oven/cooking, etc. No body shop can replicate it.

FFWD...

My 370Z was in a wreck (I was hit by a driver who lost control of their SUV on ice), and I needed replacement panels. Nissan obviously wasn't going to dropship new ones factory painted, soo....body shop. I am proud to report they matched the color, the texture, EVERYTHING FLAWLESSLY! Which is a minor miracle with Gun Metallic on the 370Z. Then they F'ed it all up when I brought the car back for a slight tweaking of the rear bumper, and they gave me a courtesy wash on the still soft paint, and sworled the s*** out of it. *sigh*

My 370Z was in a wreck (I was hit by a driver who lost control of their SUV on ice), and I needed replacement panels. Nissan obviously wasn't going to dropship new ones factory painted, soo....body shop. I am proud to report they matched the color, the texture, EVERYTHING FLAWLESSLY! Which is a minor miracle with Gun Metallic on the 370Z. Then they F'ed it all up when I brought the car back for a slight tweaking of the rear bumper, and they gave me a courtesy wash on the still soft paint, and sworled the s*** out of it. *sigh*

I'm surprised they didn't bake the paint when they did it. If they did the paint would have already been mostly hardened and the set and cure time would be drastically reduced and that likely wouldn't have happened.

I'm surprised they didn't bake the paint when they did it. If they did the paint would have already been mostly hardened and the set and cure time would be drastically reduced and that likely wouldn't have happened.

I'm unsure if they baked it or not, but regardless, paint isn't cured in less than a week from a body shop. They recommended something like 4-6 weeks before I waxed it.

With baking though, you should be able to give it a light wash with no wax, polish or other sealers/abrasives. Less than a week is def pushing it tho, so that suuuuucks. :(

I've always been told to wait around 6 - 8 weeks after fresh paint to wax and, of course, I draw it closer to the longer end of the spectrum.

I was recently contacted by a representative from Mazda, who's been working with me since I filed my complaint back in November about my paint chipping. She said that she's received numerous complaints from people with similar issues, and it's now being escalated to their engineering team. I strongly encourage anyone that's having this issue to go to Mazda's website, and file a complaint. The only way this will get resolved is if enough of our voices are heard. Going to the dealership is not useful, they will not report these issues to Mazda corporate.

1) go to www.mymazda.com
2) Scroll to bottom of screen and click on "contact us"
3) Fill out the form, and explain the issue you're having with the paint chips.

I would just use touch up paint and be done with it

Unfortunately Mazda doesn't offer touchup paint for the Soul Red Crystal Metallic. With only 5,000 miles on my car, my hood looks like someone took a sandblaster to it. If it were just a single chip, due to an unfortunate rock hitting my hood, then yes, touchup paint is the way to go. Given my paint is literally flaking off my hood on a weekly basis, and all other panels are perfect, something needs to be done.

You want them painting a different colour? Sorry but I’m quite happy with mine.

I'm not worried about color matching. Body shops have to repaint this color on a regular basis, and Mazda provides them detailed instructions on how to get a perfect match. Whenever a car is in an accident, and a bodyshop needs to order a replacement panel, the panels are not shipped pre-painted, they must paint the panel themselves. Having my hood repainted would be no different.
Mazda sent me to a nearby body shop to have my paint inspected, the body shop was confident that this is a quality issue on how the paint was applied at the factory, and stated they had repainted this color many times, with no issues matching the color.

Unfortunately Mazda doesn't offer touchup paint for the Soul Red Crystal Metallic. With only 5,000 miles on my car, my hood looks like someone took a sandblaster to it. If it were just a single chip, due to an unfortunate rock hitting my hood, then yes, touchup paint is the way to go. Given my paint is literally flaking off my hood on a weekly basis, and all other panels are perfect, something needs to be done.

Yes I know they don't offer it. Probably best to get the paint code and go to an auto paint retailer and get them to make a batch.

Here is the instructional video on how to paint.

This is directly from the manufacturer of the Mazda Paint, NIPPON PAINT

Here is one from PPG

Last edited:
Here is the instructional video on how to paint.

This is directly from the manufacturer of the Mazda Paint, NIPPON PAINT

Here is one from PPG
Thanks for linking those.

That doesn't look like "thin paint" to me.

I'm not worried about color matching. Body shops have to repaint this color on a regular basis, and Mazda provides them detailed instructions on how to get a perfect match. Whenever a car is in an accident, and a bodyshop needs to order a replacement panel, the panels are not shipped pre-painted, they must paint the panel themselves. Having my hood repainted would be no different.
Mazda sent me to a nearby body shop to have my paint inspected, the body shop was confident that this is a quality issue on how the paint was applied at the factory, and stated they had repainted this color many times, with no issues matching the color.
Can you photograph this terrible paint?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, I'd like to see the really bad hood. Right now my hood has some chips in it, but I assume they're from a stray rock here or there; I don't think they're necessarily abnormal, despite there being a fair few of them on the hood and up the passenger doors. The touch-up paint I bought from ChipFixx works perfectly in masking them, so my only complaint is the lack of a color matched paint pen from the OEM/dealership. The first time I've ever had a car that didn't have a touch-up pen from the dealer/factory.

Not trying to pour salt to the wound, but I as well would like to see the condition of your hood. I love the red metallic color, and it was my color of choice when I began researching. But if the paint adhesion is really as bad as this thread suggests, I'm going with another color this summer when I make my purchase.

I drove my then month old Sonic Silver '17 with a full front end clear bra from LA to Toronto and back in mid January, including trying and failing to get through Denver's freezing rain on MLK Day. I came so close to a horrible accident when a guy in front of me spun out that I ran over his bumper as it dangled off the front of his SUV. The only mark on the car by the end of the trip, and still, is a finger nail sized nick very low on the front end and I think that that's where I ran over a tumbleweed in New Mexico.

Mazda_Plant_BM004.jpg

I really hope the paint issue with Soul Red Crystal reported here is specific to individual road conditions, and staying with better paved and maintained freeways will help. Because SRC is the favorite color for my next CX-5! But reading this thread is very discouraging. If indeed it's paint defect related hope someone could tell from the picture what went wrong with their process and inform Mazda according. Video even better. Anyone can share links?

Back