2017 CX-5 Soul Red Crystal Metallic

Oh, I said all this stuff about CX5 paint before. Got shouted down by this, the same forum that said 'CX5 shouldn't have sound deadening!'. Meh.

At a certain point, the amount of chips become unreasonable. I Have about 8 chips on my hood now, with 5,000 miles. For comparison, I put 160,000 miles on my 2005 Jeep liberty, with 0 chips on the hood. Absolutely there is not doubt that this is a quality issue.

I took mine to my dealer on Tues. The sales manager took pics to send to "his rep" and I was suppose to hear back by today. Haven't heard a thing. I don't think the sales manager is who I should deal with honestly. I'm not sure what to do. I get sick when I look at my hood. . .

When I clicked on this thread, the post in my head, no lie, was "That's a BEAUTIFUL color, but it looks like it will go down-hill fast/wear badly/have issues." Irony. Also, chips on that color probably look absolutely horrible. THe only way to own that car properly is to wrap the hood, front fenders, and roof and mirrors, at a MINIMUM.

Knock on wood - so far I only have chips on my hood. I'm not sure what to do. There are too many to deal with properly imo. No touch up paint to fix them and won't apply a clear bra without them being fixed. But I think it's too late honestly.

Has there ever been a recall for PAINT by any company? Imagine...

I don’t believe there is any way to replicate a factory coating and painting process outside of the factory. So Mazda would be dependent on thousands of outside paint shops to fix the error.

But, that’s the only way it can be done unless some auto body shop has the dunk tank and robotic paint spray system. I think one does not exist.

For chips no, for rust due to paint not correctly applied then yes:

Mazda recalls 2.2 million cars over rust risk

The story details make it sound like the strut not the body has the paint issue.

incorrectly applied to the boot area, which can cause corrosion if not rectified. International reports are suggesting water can enter the gas strut that holds the boot lid open, which can cause it to close unexpectedly.

Yeah, pretty sure it was the strut. Someone posted pics of theirs all rusty in an older thread under one of the different subforums.

I don’t believe there is any way to replicate a factory coating and painting process outside of the factory. So Mazda would be dependent on thousands of outside paint shops to fix the error.

But, that’s the only way it can be done unless some auto body shop has the dunk tank and robotic paint spray system. I think one does not exist.

Body shops can repaint a panel. What do you think auto body shops do whenever a Soul Red Mazda gets in an accident? They don't send the car back to Mazda to have the panel painted, and Mazda doesn't ship body panels already painted. The body shop has to paint every panel themselves. Mazda gives them instructions on how to apply the paint, and how to match the color.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5fK52H24wQ

Body shops can repaint a panel. What do you think auto body shops do whenever a Soul Red Mazda gets in an accident? They don't send the car back to Mazda to have the panel painted, and Mazda doesn't ship body panels already painted. The body shop has to paint every panel themselves. Mazda gives them instructions on how to apply the paint, and how to match the color.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5fK52H24wQ

I understand that. A body shop can repaint a car but it is not the same controlled environment that is used at the factory. Maybe I’m wrong but does any body shop use robotics for example?

The application of Soul Red Crystal is a mystery to me as every single minute rectangle Of aluminium is aligned in the same direction. How they do that must be fascinating.

It’s a beautiful color but the premium price for it plus the fact it would be dirty looking 9+ months of the year due to our rainy climate made me gravitate towards the silver.

I am the same. Sonic Silver FTW

I understand that. A body shop can repaint a car but it is not the same controlled environment that is used at the factory. Maybe I’m wrong but does any body shop use robotics for example?

The application of Soul Red Crystal is a mystery to me as every single minute rectangle Of aluminium is aligned in the same direction. How they do that must be fascinating.

You could hand paint in the factory, it would just slow the production down and risk the health of the operative. The particles are randomly dispersed not aligned.

Back