Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 CX-5 Soul Red Crystal Metallic

Registered Member

cx5

Thank you for your suggestion. We will be sure to do that!

Registered Member
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 GT FWD, 2015 Mazda 3 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by ddtigger1 View Post
    Not necessarily true, (about the chips) while talegateing is bad, yes true sure.. However I do not tailgate I have several chips in my paint as well. I do fell the Mazda paint is to thin or too soft. How many of you got the sales pitch for their clear bra services.. I feel they do this as they know the paint is thin.

My red Ď96 BMW has much fewer chips on it vs. my one year old CX 5..
    Back in the 90s Japanese manufacturers switched to waterborne low VOC paints that aren't as chip resistant. In the 2000's US manufacturers switched too. IIRC German manufacturers are still using solvent based paints that have more chip resistance - the auto industry there has great sway over government regulation. Of course, if you're in the US and need your car repainted they'll may do it with waterborne due to EPA rules making it difficult to find high VOC paints.

http://www.carwashmag.com/home/artic...9e28efd60.html

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Yeah. My black CX-5 is riddled with paint chips/marks all over the hood. Just the nature of the beast if you don't put some kind of protection on it.

Registered Member

Mazda 2016 CX-5

Nearly two years old, 19,800 miles. Zero chips in paint or windshield. Maybe road conditions in your area???????? Or maybe the white is more durable?????

Some folks are so judgy.
    "Don't tailgate!"
    Really?
    I was on the freeway the other day in a section that was being redone. It had those grooves in the road where they had just stripped the concrete. One lane wasn't grooved yet so I was in that lane for awhile. Move right to the grooved section and there's a semi-truck pretty far in front of me... suddenly I hear *ting ting ting ting ting ting ting* omg.... shit hitting my car.
    I was nowhere near tailgating.
    This was just last Friday,
    I haven't inspected the hood yet.
    I'm afraid to.

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM mazdadude's Avatar

'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD, '05 PRIUS

Quote Originally Posted by craigo View Post
    Back in the 90s Japanese manufacturers switched to waterborne low VOC paints that aren't as chip resistant. In the 2000's US manufacturers switched too. IIRC German manufacturers are still using solvent based paints that have more chip resistance - the auto industry there has great sway over government regulation. Of course, if you're in the US and need your car repainted they'll may do it with waterborne due to EPA rules making it difficult to find high VOC paints.

http://www.carwashmag.com/home/artic...9e28efd60.html
    Mazda switched to water based painting technologies around 2009. I have found that the new paint is not as durable as the solvent based paints from the 70's-90's.

Here is Mazda's link to their painting technologies.
    http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/t...er/paint_tech/
    Mazda's I have owned over the years. (boom07)
    80' Mazda GLC SPORT MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    85' Mazda 626 LX MT - sold
    87' Mazda 626 GT Turbo MT - sold
    85' Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE MT- sold
    87' Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2 MT - sold
    91' Mazda Protege LX MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    93' Mazda MX-3 GS-V6 Special Edition MT - sold
    00' Mazda 626 LX-V6 MT - sold
    02.5' Mazda Protege5 MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    06' Mazda 5 Touring AT - sold
    13' Mazda CX-5 Touring AT - sold
    14' Mazda 3i Grand Touring MT - sold
    15' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - sold
    03' Mazda Protege5 AT - sold
    16.5' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - current
    09' Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT - current

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT FWD, 2015 Mazda 3 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by mazdadude View Post
    Mazda switched to water based painting technologies around 2009. I have found that the new paint is not as durable as the solvent based paints from the 70's-90's.

Here is Mazda's link to their painting technologies.
    http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/t...er/paint_tech/
    Seems like there's also a tradeoff in formula goals where coatings that are chip durable are more prone to swirl marks during routine washing

2016.5 Mazda CX 5 Grand Touring W/ Tech PKG

Makes me want to go get a clear bra coating thing now....

Washed the car tonight. Not as bad as it sounded. Just a couple dings.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Does this work? Does that office at Mazda really help to resolve issues like this? That would be an awesome lead!

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Hmm... This is disconcerting. I recently noticed chips in the hood of my Soul Red Crystal Metallic 2017 CX5 and I'm not happy to hear it may be a paint flaw...

2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

I was in the motor industry all through the 70s, 80s & 90s before the introduction of modern paint technologies and cars were much worse for stone chips than they are now. Not only that but the metal underneath wasn’t treated like it is now so it almost immediately started with ugly spots of rust. We had big fleets of company cars and anything over about a year old was peppered with stone chips and rust spots with very few exceptions.

People are very critical of modern paint but certainly in Europe, most cars had metal or black plastic bumpers/fenders and if you tried to bend and flex a painted version like a modern painted fender, the paint would just crack and lift straight off. It’s astonishing just how durable these modern paints are.

It’s up to each of us to decide how close to get to the vehicle in front but I’m sorry, if you can hear bits of debris hitting your car from something in front, you are too close to it. What is harder to avoid is anything that comes from a vehicle coming towards you.

2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

Quote Originally Posted by RKinMTL View Post
    Hmm... This is disconcerting. I recently noticed chips in the hood of my Soul Red Crystal Metallic 2017 CX5 and I'm not happy to hear it may be a paint flaw...
    It isnít a paint flaw, that is nonsense. Paint doesnít chip on its own but you donít always hear what chipped it. There is guidance in the owners manual about what causes chipping and the paint chipping zone at only 56mph is 50m/164ft. That doesnít mean you mustnít get that close, it means that if you do you are in the area where debris from the vehicle in front is still in motion and if you are unlucky, something will chip it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post

It’s up to each of us to decide how close to get to the vehicle in front but I’m sorry, if you can hear bits of debris hitting your car from something in front, you are too close to it. What is harder to avoid is anything that comes from a vehicle coming towards you.
    That semi that was dragging a cloud of debris behind it was so far from me, it was ridiculous. You could have fit 10 cars between us. It isn't always a case of following to closely. Shit happens.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    That semi that was dragging a cloud of debris behind it was so far from me, it was ridiculous. You could have fit 10 cars between us. It isn't always a case of following to closely. Shit happens.
    10 CX-5 lengths is 150 feet. The quote from Mazda above says chip range at 56 MPH is 164 feet. So your idea of a ridiculous following distance is less than the recommended distance.

I also agree with Anchorman, is that if you are following closely enough for rock chips to hit you, you are at risk of hitting more dangerous things from that vehicle.
    Last edited by murky; 10-07-2017 at 12:09 PM.

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast