2017 CX-5 Soul Red Crystal Metallic

Here are some photos from when I brought it to the dealer.

CX-5 1.jpg20180710_100918.jpg20180710_100910.jpg20180710_100927.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

You'd hate my black CX-5 then. After 5 years, chipped way worse than that.

But brand new, that is very excessive.

After 16 days I was notified Mazda wants to do a partial repaint. All panels to be repainted except roof, rear door and back bumper. Very interesting decision since the Service Manager at the dealer saw chips on the roof. They plan to "blend" the paint onto the panels they aren't painting.

So I asked if since Mazda agrees the paint is flaking away on multiple panels on the car, why do they think the other panels are immune? Of course they aren't, which is obvious. So when they start chipping are they going to blend that repaint on the panels they already painted? This logic is frankly incredible. I have refused authorization to do a partial repaint and requested contact from Mazda. So far, radio silence.

So here's a grin for you: You know those cheap cars from Korea? They have a problem with one of their paint colors (the same problem as Soul Crystal Red Mettalic) and check out how they are handling it:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1118007_kia-recalls-sunset-yellow-stingers-to-respray-cracked-paint

Mazda should be ashamed of themselves for dragging their feet, grinding it out with each owner. Kia, the lowest-end brand of Hyundai, is not only standing up to the problem, they are offering cash compensation for the aggravation to their owners. Apparently someone in the car business understands the value of their brand is much bigger than a few repaints.

Here's the story from Motor Authority: https://www.motorauthority.com/news...nset-yellow-stingers-to-respray-cracked-paint

Kia recalls Sunset Yellow Stingers to respray cracked paint

1118007_kia-recalls-sunset-yellow-stingers-to-respray-cracked-paint

1118007_kia-recalls-sunset-yellow-stingers-to-respray-cracked-paint

Owners of Sunset Yellow Kia Stingers at this point are likely aware of chipping and cracking paint finishes, and the brand has acknowledged the problem and will remedy the situation.

First reported by Australian publication Car Advice last month, Kia confirmed it will recall all Stingers finished in the beaming yellow hue for repainting.

A Kia spokesman has confirmed to Motor Authority that the recall includes approximately 400 cars in the United States, which feature the cracking Sunset Yellow paint. It was a special 2018 model year option.

According to Kia, the issue stems from an error in the paint process at the factory and affects "paint adherence that may result in some paint chipping on certain affected areas." Areas most likely to show chipping and cracking are the hood, doors, windshield pillars, and decklid.

Those owners of Sunset Yellow Stingers should have received a notification by mail last month that details Kia's potential solutions. Owners can opt for a dealership to arrange for repainting of affected areas in accordance with Kia's guidelines and paint specifications. If an owner chooses a respray, Kia will provide alternative transportation during the repainting process and a "financial goodwill gesture" of $5,000 for the inconvenience.

If a respray is not a desired option for a particular customer, Kia will also purchase the Stinger back outright or replace the car with an equivalent model. Since Sunset Yellow was a limited-edition hue, the replacement car will feature a different color. No other colors are affected by the adherence issue and customers that do opt for a repaint cannot choose a new color. Resprays will not affect the 3-year/36,000-mile warranty included with the Stinger.

Kia said it will give customers 30 days after completing the voluntary campaign to notify the company if they plan to return the car or seek a replacement model. Both secondary options will be available to owners until December 1, 2018.

How many yellow stingers sold there (uhm)

If not a lot then easier to do a recall on that ratherthan SRC CX-5's

Yeah, it's ALWAYS much easier and potentially cheaper to stonewall than it is to do the right thing when you realize you have a problem. Ask GM about the price of ignoring a little ignition switch issue.

The pictures a few posts above this one make it very clear how serious this problem is.

Of course now we live in a world where car buyers get to find out how others are being treated addressing a known problem. And they get to see how other companies deal with the very same defect.

Last edited:
(iagree) but I doubt Mazda will do a recall on this considering the volume of SRC CX-5's sold in comparison to yellow Kia Stingers.

After 16 days I was notified Mazda wants to do a partial repaint. All panels to be repainted except roof, rear door and back bumper. Very interesting decision since the Service Manager at the dealer saw chips on the roof. They plan to "blend" the paint onto the panels they aren't painting.

So I asked if since Mazda agrees the paint is flaking away on multiple panels on the car, why do they think the other panels are immune? Of course they aren't, which is obvious. So when they start chipping are they going to blend that repaint on the panels they already painted? This logic is frankly incredible. I have refused authorization to do a partial repaint and requested contact from Mazda. So far, radio silence.

So here's a grin for you: You know those cheap cars from Korea? They have a problem with one of their paint colors (the same problem as Soul Crystal Red Mettalic) and check out how they are handling it:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1118007_kia-recalls-sunset-yellow-stingers-to-respray-cracked-paint

Mazda should be ashamed of themselves for dragging their feet, grinding it out with each owner. Kia, the lowest-end brand of Hyundai, is not only standing up to the problem, they are offering cash compensation for the aggravation to their owners. Apparently someone in the car business understands the value of their brand is much bigger than a few repaints.

Within the Song-Beverly Act, there is a presumption guideline
wherein it is presumed that a vehicle is a *lemon* if the following
criteria are met within 18 months of delivery to the buyer or
lessee or 18,000 miles on the vehicle*s odometer, whichever
comes first:

* The manufacturer or its agents have made two or more
attempts to repair a warranty problem that results in a
condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily
injury if the vehicle is driven;
* The manufacturer or its agents have made four or more
attempts to repair the same warranty problem; or
* The vehicle has been out of service for more than 30
days (not necessarily all at the same time) while being
repaired for any number of warranty problems; or
* The problems are covered by the warranty, substantially
reduce the vehicle*s use, value, or safety to the consumer
and are not caused by abuse of the vehicle;
* If required by the warranty materials or by the owner*s
manual, the consumer has to directly notify the
manufacturer about the problem(s), preferably in writing.
The notice must be sent to the address shown in the
warranty or owner*s manual (for bullets 1 and 2).

If these criteria are met, the Lemon Law presumes that the buyer
or lessee is entitled to a replacement vehicle or a refund of the
purchase price. However, this presumption is rebuttable. The
manufacturer may show that the criteria has not been met (for
example, because the problems are minor) and therefore, the
buyer or lessee is not entitled to a replacement vehicle or refund.

*Source: California Civil Code Section 1793.22(b).

Well, I've officially got an appointment for next Monday to repaint areas of our 2018 Soul Red Crystal that have chips at the 6k mile mark. It's been roughly 3 weeks since I contacted Mazda via the general customer service form linked in another thread around here. I heard from them almost right away, got an appointment for photos, and waited about two weeks to get the final authorization from the district service manager. I'm really pleased I didn't have to fight at all. Now to cross my fingers for a good outcome on the repaint!

Just as an aside from following the events in this thread, it seems Mazda now recognizes this as a widespread issue and will make it right for those who take the initiative to contact them. I really wish they'd just step up and offer this service to everyone who's still under warranty, but I doubt they'll ever go out of their way to advertise the problem considering a) the cost and b) how much great pub this color has gotten them.

So, have they actually solved the problem, or is repainting just going to recreate the same problem 6 months down the road?

So, have they actually solved the problem, or is repainting just going to recreate the same problem 6 months down the road?
I believe there was an error in their initial pain job that resulted in the paint not adhering properly, hence the chipping. Supposedly that error has been fixed, and I believe there were some folks on here who got repainted and didn't have the chipping issue reoccur.

I believe there was an error in their initial pain job that resulted in the paint not adhering properly, hence the chipping. Supposedly that error has been fixed, and I believe there were some folks on here who got repainted and didn't have the chipping issue reoccur.
All of which has little or nothing to do with solving the problem on the factory floor.

Hey, folks.

This is my first post on this forum. I saw no "Introduce Yourself" area, not that I'm all that interesting. If this comment belongs elsewhere, please let me know and I'll move it.

I am about to pull the trigger on a 2018 CX-5 GT, and the Mazda paint quality in general--and the SRCM paint quality specifically--has me hesitating. I see that I am not the only one in this position. Everything else I read indicates that these are long-term mechanically sound.

I've read the threads here and on other forums about the paint, and see that those who have had this "fixed" with no subsequent chips had portions of their cars repainted at professional shops and not by the factory.

(1) Am I correct that nothing has changed in the quality of the paint coming out of the factory?

(2) Has anyone gone back to Mazda on this issue after they put on film or any other aftermarket paint protection? I'm concerned about voiding my factory paint warranty in an effort to prevent damage.

I struck up a phone relationship with a Mazda customer service rep on the west coast, as I have had pre-purchase questions I wanted answered by the manufacturer and not the dealer. I sent her an email late Friday asking about this issue and about the current status of any fix at the factory, and have received no reply. I'm going to call her in a couple of days and will post here if she gives any meaningful data. I have not spoken with the dealer regarding this issue to see how they react or to get a feel for how supportive they might be should I need their help.

I hate to buy a brand new car thinking that I'll shortly be upset with cosmetics, and it does not sound as though any of the colors are very resilient.

I really like this car. I see nothing in its class that I enjoy driving as much.
I've committed the Buyer's Faux Pas of developing an emotional attachment. :)

Hey, folks.

This is my first post on this forum. I saw no "Introduce Yourself" area, not that I'm all that interesting. If this comment belongs elsewhere, please let me know and I'll move it.

I am about to pull the trigger on a 2018 CX-5 GT, and the Mazda paint quality in general--and the SRCM paint quality specifically--has me hesitating. I see that I am not the only one in this position. Everything else I read indicates that these are long-term mechanically sound.

I've read the threads here and on other forums about the paint, and see that those who have had this "fixed" with no subsequent chips had portions of their cars repainted at professional shops and not by the factory.

(1) Am I correct that nothing has changed in the quality of the paint coming out of the factory?

(2) Has anyone gone back to Mazda on this issue after they put on film or any other aftermarket paint protection? I'm concerned about voiding my factory paint warranty in an effort to prevent damage.

I struck up a phone relationship with a Mazda customer service rep on the west coast, as I have had pre-purchase questions I wanted answered by the manufacturer and not the dealer. I sent her an email late Friday asking about this issue and about the current status of any fix at the factory, and have received no reply. I'm going to call her in a couple of days and will post here if she gives any meaningful data. I have not spoken with the dealer regarding this issue to see how they react or to get a feel for how supportive they might be should I need their help.

I hate to buy a brand new car thinking that I'll shortly be upset with cosmetics, and it does not sound as though any of the colors are very resilient.

I really like this car. I see nothing in its class that I enjoy driving as much.
I've committed the Buyer's Faux Pas of developing an emotional attachment. :)

Welcome!

If you are still concerned with Soul Red Crystal paint issue including responses (lack thereof) from Mazda, you can always select another colour.

I have the sonic silver and touch wood, it has no issues.

Don't let the Soul Red Crystal issue put you off :)

Welcome!

If you are still concerned with Soul Red Crystal paint issue including responses (lack thereof) from Mazda, you can always select another colour.

I have the sonic silver and touch wood, it has no issues.

Don't let the Soul Red Crystal issue put you off :)

Thanks for the advice, Xeler8ing.

As I read, it seems that Mazda paints in general have had a long term reputation.
So if I'm not gonna be perfectly pleased, I may as well be not pleased in a red car ;)

I'm recently retired and have only purchased 2 new vehicles in my entire life. Both were trucks, both were driven for 15+ years. I don't get off my wallet easily.

We knick in wood over here X...we don't touch it. [emoji16] First time you posted that, it took me a minute... LoL

Good luck with your Red Car OP. Will be interested in a reply from the dealer.

Back