2017 CX-5 Soul Red Crystal Metallic

So today is day 9. The dealer rep still does not have authorization from Mazda. He confirmed they had found paint chips on all but two panels but the estimates they sent to Mazda include the cost to blend the color into those two panels. So in fact, they are planning to put paint on the entire car, but repaint the entire car! Absolutely unbelievable.

We know the paint is going to chip on those two panels, it is only a matter of when. So when that happens they repaint those panels and "blend" the paint to the ones they already repainted?

I instructed the dealer to put Mazda's refusal to repaint the entire car in writing, and to not begin any panel repaints.

At this point it looks like I may have to get an estimate from a body shop to repaint the entire car and meet them in court over their refusal to make it right. The judge will take one look at the Soul Red Crystal Metallic touch-up paint disclaimer, and the pictures of the paint chips on my car to make a decision. Mazda will either be paying for a paint job, or more likely the judge will order them to buy our car back due to lack of fitness for merchantability.

While this may seem extreme to some, in California consumer protection from auto manufacturers is very effective. About 20 years ago the Chrysler Corporation bought my '98 Dakota R/T back for full purchase price, plus T & L, and the full cost of upgrades I made to it (spray-in bedliner) because they had overstated the towing capacity as being 5000 lbs. Apparently nobody in engineering had noticed that the lowered suspension on the R/T model did not work well with anything heavier than 1500 lbs. In the notification letter they sent me was a sticker to put in the owners manual changing the spec for max. towing. They also offered five different remedies for the inconvenience, the fifth of which was a repurchase of the vehicle.

While paint failing to adhere to the primer is not the safety issue towing capacity is, the legal concept of fitness for the purpose the product is intended to be used for is the same.

This entire process baffles me. Nine days to make such an obvious decision, and the refusal to even consider the only obviously correct remedy. In a world where corporate behavior is so easily shared with other potential customers, how do they think this experience supports the brand they have worked so hard to create and are spending millions to communicate to buyers.

I think everyone understands that if you bought an inexpensive car you might expect this treatment, but Mazda is seeking to play in the world of Infiniti, Lexus, Audi and BMW. Can you imagine any of those brands keeping your car for over a week before suggesting they repaint all but two panels because those two haven't got any chips in them yet?

Machine Gray on ours, but I agree!
20180622_074543.jpg

What did that cost and where did you have it done?

What did that cost and where did you have it done?

Ghost Shield in Newbury Park did the install (highly recommended), and the cost was $825 for hood, bumper, mirrors, rear bumper top near the hatch, and a custom piece they did for my black painted grill piece (that alone was I think $100 since there is no pattern for it).

So today is day 9. The dealer rep still does not have authorization from Mazda. He confirmed they had found paint chips on all but two panels but the estimates they sent to Mazda include the cost to blend the color into those two panels. So in fact, they are planning to put paint on the entire car, but repaint the entire car! Absolutely unbelievable.

We know the paint is going to chip on those two panels, it is only a matter of when. So when that happens they repaint those panels and "blend" the paint to the ones they already repainted?

I instructed the dealer to put Mazda's refusal to repaint the entire car in writing, and to not begin any panel repaints.

At this point it looks like I may have to get an estimate from a body shop to repaint the entire car and meet them in court over their refusal to make it right. The judge will take one look at the Soul Red Crystal Metallic touch-up paint disclaimer, and the pictures of the paint chips on my car to make a decision. Mazda will either be paying for a paint job, or more likely the judge will order them to buy our car back due to lack of fitness for merchantability.

While this may seem extreme to some, in California consumer protection from auto manufacturers is very effective. About 20 years ago the Chrysler Corporation bought my '98 Dakota R/T back for full purchase price, plus T & L, and the full cost of upgrades I made to it (spray-in bedliner) because they had overstated the towing capacity as being 5000 lbs. Apparently nobody in engineering had noticed that the lowered suspension on the R/T model did not work well with anything heavier than 1500 lbs. In the notification letter they sent me was a sticker to put in the owners manual changing the spec for max. towing. They also offered five different remedies for the inconvenience, the fifth of which was a repurchase of the vehicle.

While paint failing to adhere to the primer is not the safety issue towing capacity is, the legal concept of fitness for the purpose the product is intended to be used for is the same.

This entire process baffles me. Nine days to make such an obvious decision, and the refusal to even consider the only obviously correct remedy. In a world where corporate behavior is so easily shared with other potential customers, how do they think this experience supports the brand they have worked so hard to create and are spending millions to communicate to buyers.

I think everyone understands that if you bought an inexpensive car you might expect this treatment, but Mazda is seeking to play in the world of Infiniti, Lexus, Audi and BMW. Can you imagine any of those brands keeping your car for over a week before suggesting they repaint all but two panels because those two haven't got any chips in them yet?

It*s not just your car they are considering, there are many others so the implications of goving the go ahead on yours are wide reaching. Their going to have to have a policy on it soon, there are so many waiting for a decision. The other thing is that they*ve rolled this colour out across the range so I would hope they are working with the supplier to improve the durability.

It*s not just your car they are considering, there are many others so the implications of goving the go ahead on yours are wide reaching. Their going to have to have a policy on it soon, there are so many waiting for a decision. The other thing is that they*ve rolled this colour out across the range so I would hope they are working with the supplier to improve the durability.

The weird thing is, the problem only seems to effect CX-5s to date. I've been watching and querying on 3, 6 and MX-5 forums with zero results!

Only the CX-5 has the soul red crystal. All the others are soul red.

No, that*s incorrect. All 2018 models except the 3 (which surprises me as I*d swear I*ve seen 3s that look just as *twinkly* as the CX-5) offer the crystal version. Everything other than CX-5 in MY 2017 was the straight soul red metallic. At least that*s how it is on this side of the pond.

No, that*s incorrect. All 2018 models except the 3 (which surprises me as I*d swear I*ve seen 3s that look just as *twinkly* as the CX-5) offer the crystal version. Everything other than CX-5 in MY 2017 was the straight soul red metallic. At least that*s how it is on this side of the pond.

OK. They*ve just introduced it here on the new 6 but the others are still in the pipeline.

Ghost Shield in Newbury Park did the install (highly recommended), and the cost was $825 for hood, bumper, mirrors, rear bumper top near the hatch, and a custom piece they did for my black painted grill piece (that alone was I think $100 since there is no pattern for it).

Thanks for the info. I'm really thinking about getting this done but have not got a single chip mark yet...knock on wood!

My dealer got the OK from Mazda to repaint mine next week. From first contact to approval was six weeks. I'm unsure how long it will be in the shop though.

I read somewhere on another forum that apparently "the ingredients" mix was wrong and they have now corrected this and therefore new SRC shouldn't have this issue.

Wonder if this is true (uhm)

I read somewhere on another forum that apparently "the ingredients" mix was wrong and they have now corrected this and therefore new SRC shouldn't have this issue.

Wonder if this is true (uhm)

My dealer says it was the factory clear coat and that chipping won't be an issue after they do the respray.

If it was the clearcoat, you would think that it would have affected other colors as well?

Yes and no. SRCM uses a tinted clear coat under the top coat. I think the failure is a combination of the base coat failing to adhere to the primer and the two separate clears not working as well as more layers of the same clear.

Again, this is just a guess so I can't say for sure why this only happens to 2017 CX-5s AFAIK.

EDIT: I'm getting conflicting information. Mazda's site says its a 3 layer process. https://1ijylmozio83m2nkr2v293mp-wp...uploads/2016/11/Soul-Red-Crystal-1024x768.jpg They don't even include primer in this diagram. Did they spray base coat on the bare metal?

Last edited:
I've put about 5,000 miles on mine since the repaint. So far, no new chips. With the old paint job, I had about 10 chips after 5,000 miles.

Back