2017 CX-5 Soul Red Crystal Metallic

so after 3 months of phone call with mazda usa they finally decided that they will repaint my car. well dealership is 100miles away; just 30miles out of town some f***er ran a stop sign about 65mph while i was going 92mph i f***king totaled the car now no more repaint needed......... but one thing i gotta say about this car is very safe at that speed i was not injured at all.
*pic*
https://www.flickr.com/photos/142892569@N07/42844027194/in/dateposted-public/

Now if i get another cx5 would it have the same problem? and should i wait for the 2019 cx5 if so what will be the difference
Holy s*** is all I can say. The fact that you walked away injury free is very impressive. That said...see how you feel in a few days/week. I got rear ended at much lower speed and jacked my back big time, but didn't feel it until a week after the rear ending, sitting at my desk at work.

rather be safe than sorry......
i think i will get this car again (different color) although paint chips it is annoying but it saved my life!

This car body structure definitely protected me; I walked away with only few cuts from the front glass and sore body thats it. The car hit me into other side of the road and stopped by hitting 2 more trees(not sure why brake won't work...)

I might know the reason why i have so many chips with the car but Mazda does have a thinner paint. The speed that i'm going was pretty fast which means the rocks will hit me a lot harder. freeway average 90mph. tollway average 98mph. Texas highway speed limit mostly 75mph sometime 80mph.? Mostly no car on freeway it only get crowded on tollroad but i stay away from them if i see them i will move into other lane to past them. No sure how the rocks hit me.

Still waiting for approval

Last week I used the link provided in this thread to contact Mazda and register my dissatisfaction with the durability of the extra cost Soul Crystal Red paint. They contacted me the next day advising me to make an appointment with my dealer to inspect the car. The dealer called and I made an appointment. Today I took my CX-5 to the dealer. Service Manager had been given a heads up from Mazda on this issue, and told me they would need to keep the car for the day to take pictures of the problem areas, and they would be in touch with the single contact at Mazda dealing with these issues.

Just as I was thinking I would be marooned at the dealer all day the service manager said he already had a no charge loaner car reserved for me (a CX-5 Grand Touring with just a few hundred miles on it), and that it would take a least a day to evaluate the needed repairs, and if needed, at least a few days to send it out to Mazda's body shop to make the repairs. He told me Mazda had a single point of contact for him regarding this issue that will review the pictures they take, and expedite the decision process. if the entire car was going to need to be repainted they would have it at least a week.

Experience tells me that when you are told a body shop job might take a week, that may in fact mean three weeks. Having the loaner gives me the peace of mind of knowing if it takes a little longer that is because it just needs to, because they have some skin in the game with the loaner as I do being without our car.

I showed the service manager a variety of paint chips, on the front valance and hood, including four on the passenger door, a few on areas higher up on sides of the body and on the roof. I also showed him the paint was flaking off the edges of the doors. He was super professional in looking it over and found spots I had not seen. I had not really realized how many there were until a few months ago I bought some touch-up paint and really looked it over closely as I painted them. It was then I realized each chip was only the color coat and that the primer was still intact. None of the chips were impacts big enough to dent the sheet metal. He was surprised by that as I was. That was a few months ago and I told him it had become clear that more were appearing and I was not going to be able to keep up.

Service Manager introduced me to the Service Advisor who will be in touch with me as they get direction from Mazda. Within half an hour of my arrival my belongings were transferred to the loaner, the customer service person and I checked the loaner, noted a few small scratches, and I was on my way.

I expect to hear from them tomorrow, and have to say at this point I am super impressed. I worked as Service Advisor and a Service Manager many years ago for a dealership that sold Fiat and BMW. Two step paint was just being introduced on BMW's and I dealt with many paint problems as the clear coat expanded under heat at a different rate from the color coat, resulting in the paint "crazing". It was almost normal for the plane surfaces (hood, roof, deck lid) that took direct sunlight to need repainting. Being near the ocean we had a fair share of rusting Fiats as well. Having dealt with getting factory approvals on paint repairs was not one of my fondest memories of being in the car business. My brother is a retired quality engineer at Nissan and he's seen a few model/color specific paint issues as well.

We bought our CX-5 from a high volume dealer a one hour drive from home, and I never expected to need or get this kind of service. Nor did I expect the factory to already have procedures in place to review and address the problem in a timely manner. Based on 21 pages of comments on this thread, I have to assume this is a fairly recent development. In any case, it appears the factory understands the problem, and is prepared to make it right. I should know more soon...

Contacted the dealer at noon today and they have sent Mazda pictures of the problem areas last week. The car was sent to their body shop and they have provided Mazda with estimates of repairs (which I assume is a full repaint since chipped areas are found on the doors, roof, hood, front valence, and both front fenders). This is the status I was given on Thursday. Perhaps there is some negotiating going on over their estimate.

Typically imported car manufacturers have an arrangement with a large body shop near the port to fix cars that get body damage in shipment to the U.S. (more common than most people realize). Since I live in Los Angeles, that vendor would be near the Port of Los Angeles. With a repair this pricey (and challenging with this special paint process) that may be where our car ends up going.

In the meantime my wife is getting spoiled by the Grand Touring loaner CX-5 with it's added crispness to the steering (19" wheels), nicer leather seats, sunroof, active cruise control, push button back door, etc.

In the meantime my wife is getting spoiled by the Grand Touring loaner CX-5 with it's added crispness to the steering (19" wheels), nicer leather seats, sunroof, active cruise control, push button back door, etc.

It is a good unit :D

Mazda finally has the touch-up paint available for the Soul Red Crystal, I bought it this morning from my dealership in San Jose, CA. It's funny, they include a pamphlet with the touchup paint, which is basically a giant disclaimer saying this probably won't match your paint color.

iuyz7XmdqzWgN31Qqe6jr0Y_5001o19q1yPiONSSIPbdiiyuTp_J4lBYSSFCYFCdk2UAU-JPvVYbVH_Y2m5fdigF0jFyfxIXTXuhiLOyfl2D3zyd_c1PvEBxs1oazKlsZfjmxZzaAX5huhhGOWhf1NJHVxRHmvqVDp9JuYTwIrwtP784MZEbrubOHKi0QWqnh3eRNFvNkgPuRx8ZYAP8SVM90QNnWWC8ImUQSCeglKKNfxYFeqroMriVuFNY-2Hf4-4H82NStWkTfef1hBW3F3e0aXDRVmZwM3FaPcL3MT-Kd9d_jTms0B4Pmfe8RRoSo2550itrWwjtKuLWHDJpva0bKdEdwCsW0ohNPMY8CNi1I5Jjo6c3p8qZGiSeF2YmdczsGWycPpOXvBnoEDXy1Zp2kjpIol-5-lT6h87bvmD50JRVHwG0ibuKIxh6T86EhnX3vmhQ_E3xmh5FihDHEn6E5hJO0psGW7cs5lGlmllBA2n2lyjVXnvogouTTD5NglLauHa5BcpExgbP2ttEM0jgMT6XMwvIwuUNFP2YPkQEhQqDeNomvx3nG0x9dUvR7pkigVufq7qPi1A2x47mGV48ulYDP1na1xbFMh-mwyyMDWYfp43jrORKDxCtnhCIBPEJYgPPUpRmqT50nAcLUhjwP3yDQa7exw=w1308-h1744-no

YzEUUvsrL6gwPvryutrl4SeWdTc_k695st6AyMKRWUt3MBIJWwhtLfKkNQLGXenRQw6_YoQHoKPmzqzyTS1xEb9tlYhEnmFDzJ3ANnGV_ldYEQ1BLRhRbbM5R7StlnvBDl1VmYHcxwijWnuTngzNgi4_5ek5zhVQiuTYYD0NdbxYRcFWu1COtuGMQnG0ajpoRDDj5NEfR6eUBWUGM5_KIEdM_7vDgHvCYfK-UsPfosHx2QMi1luynZS18hxZUBt01PXI78m3tGlRUIeRl3l4958ojmJr_wj_kPS_ZhSsHd96mbSxrewzhi8OelNvHgFI0O1HVx7x_1lrW2RIjU3NxuAQiwuYzbjHiZu-QadOOlIDtCf0hu2BnA3vV1pIco3DQF57NThE6FoX6QlvaQ-ADH7u9zTzHWr5jDOUh88qqxMtZG35R3oDYNWhqbH_VSBwc7t5z0zInJGNMb7dctQH4_3IoxbzQSTlk7km5lnrYEND5c3GRsNstRlkuaoYkXvnOfpNVqRzrQK9DBIxQYY8aaLutQtA-sf7HvO_j8JKYLfE9e2Vcpo-X-1loXinzBTZ1krlWFMX-34E2gbyuQ1-bPRyWVV1MSY87e0R3id5RJ1K7pLPqRFaVotHHRgeS_iG9MeMqlk4mzLEW5V2J7FbZkMWQFr4i7UYwA=w2326-h1744-no

Well, that's a humdinger of a disclaimer. I'll never have Soul Red Crystal Metallic as it's too much trouble in my opinion and not worth the extra cost. If Mazda want to discourage people from having it, this disclaimer is the way to go.

That explains why it took so long for this touch up paint to get released...the Mazda lawyers had to write up that disclaimer.

Really a sad situation. Such a gorgeous color, but who in his right mind would pay $595 extra with these kinds of caveats?! Interesting that they call it a 4 step process. That was my original understanding (and the reason for the $200 upcharge over the original Soul Red), but I constantly see it referred to as a three-step paint job on the internet. Maybe at your local body shop that's what it ends up being?

Mazda finally has the touch-up paint available for the Soul Red Crystal, I bought it this morning from my dealership in San Jose, CA. It's funny, they include a pamphlet with the touchup paint, which is basically a giant disclaimer saying this probably won't match your paint color.

Fair enough. In fact, it's hard to touch up ANY metallic paint and have it look right. Don't expect miracles.

iuyz7XmdqzWgN31Qqe6jr0Y_5001o19q1yPiONSSIPbdiiyuTp_J4lBYSSFCYFCdk2UAU-JPvVYbVH_Y2m5fdigF0jFyfxIXTXuhiLOyfl2D3zyd_c1PvEBxs1oazKlsZfjmxZzaAX5huhhGOWhf1NJHVxRHmvqVDp9JuYTwIrwtP784MZEbrubOHKi0QWqnh3eRNFvNkgPuRx8ZYAP8SVM90QNnWWC8ImUQSCeglKKNfxYFeqroMriVuFNY-2Hf4-4H82NStWkTfef1hBW3F3e0aXDRVmZwM3FaPcL3MT-Kd9d_jTms0B4Pmfe8RRoSo2550itrWwjtKuLWHDJpva0bKdEdwCsW0ohNPMY8CNi1I5Jjo6c3p8qZGiSeF2YmdczsGWycPpOXvBnoEDXy1Zp2kjpIol-5-lT6h87bvmD50JRVHwG0ibuKIxh6T86EhnX3vmhQ_E3xmh5FihDHEn6E5hJO0psGW7cs5lGlmllBA2n2lyjVXnvogouTTD5NglLauHa5BcpExgbP2ttEM0jgMT6XMwvIwuUNFP2YPkQEhQqDeNomvx3nG0x9dUvR7pkigVufq7qPi1A2x47mGV48ulYDP1na1xbFMh-mwyyMDWYfp43jrORKDxCtnhCIBPEJYgPPUpRmqT50nAcLUhjwP3yDQa7exw=w1308-h1744-no

YzEUUvsrL6gwPvryutrl4SeWdTc_k695st6AyMKRWUt3MBIJWwhtLfKkNQLGXenRQw6_YoQHoKPmzqzyTS1xEb9tlYhEnmFDzJ3ANnGV_ldYEQ1BLRhRbbM5R7StlnvBDl1VmYHcxwijWnuTngzNgi4_5ek5zhVQiuTYYD0NdbxYRcFWu1COtuGMQnG0ajpoRDDj5NEfR6eUBWUGM5_KIEdM_7vDgHvCYfK-UsPfosHx2QMi1luynZS18hxZUBt01PXI78m3tGlRUIeRl3l4958ojmJr_wj_kPS_ZhSsHd96mbSxrewzhi8OelNvHgFI0O1HVx7x_1lrW2RIjU3NxuAQiwuYzbjHiZu-QadOOlIDtCf0hu2BnA3vV1pIco3DQF57NThE6FoX6QlvaQ-ADH7u9zTzHWr5jDOUh88qqxMtZG35R3oDYNWhqbH_VSBwc7t5z0zInJGNMb7dctQH4_3IoxbzQSTlk7km5lnrYEND5c3GRsNstRlkuaoYkXvnOfpNVqRzrQK9DBIxQYY8aaLutQtA-sf7HvO_j8JKYLfE9e2Vcpo-X-1loXinzBTZ1krlWFMX-34E2gbyuQ1-bPRyWVV1MSY87e0R3id5RJ1K7pLPqRFaVotHHRgeS_iG9MeMqlk4mzLEW5V2J7FbZkMWQFr4i7UYwA=w2326-h1744-no

They are basically right as your vehicle has been in sunlight and therefore not the original state of colour as it left the factory or indeed the touch up paint.

Based on this thread, my first stop after picking up my new CX-5 at the
dealer ... was a trip to the detail shop to have them (clear) wrap the front fascia,
hood, mirrors and rear bumper (lift-over).

Last edited:
I have none of that and touch wood no issues with my sonic silver after almost 3 months of ownership

Mazda has now had our car for nine days, and the pictures of the paint problems and the repair estimates from their dealer for a full week, and still no decision on the action to be taken. My neighbors are asking why we traded our beautiful red CX-5 for a black one. They give me a funny look when I explain that is in for repainting but they haven't decided to do it yet.

Mazda has now had our car for nine days, and the pictures of the paint problems and the repair estimates from their dealer for a full week, and still no decision on the action to be taken. My neighbors are asking why we traded our beautiful red CX-5 for a black one. They give me a funny look when I explain that is in for repainting but they haven't decided to do it yet.

Hope you are regularly chasing them up

Latest posts

Back