2017 CX-5 Soul Red Crystal Metallic

Yay! So glad to hear this. Mine goes in Monday. But last week I noticed the first chips on the body of the car (not the hood), so I'm concerned..

I struggle to believe only 3 open cases. Cause other than you and me, I know another... I would say there has to be more.

Please keep us updated. My repaint will be PPG paint.. Do you know what yours was? Any plans for a clear bra?

I submitted my chip pics to Mazda on Monday. They told me before I even submitted the pics that they will have me go back to the dealer for a paint inspection.

I submitted my chip pics to Mazda on Monday. They told me before I even submitted the pics that they will have me go back to the dealer for a paint inspection.

I also had to go to dealer for inspection. It seems very dependant on what they say back to Mazda... Whether Mazda will do anything.

It's normal that a dealer needs to inspect a vehicle and report any findings to HQ

I just got my CX-5 back from Mazda yesterday. They replaced the hood with an unpainted hood, and took it to a body shop to have it painted. The color matching was perfect. I couldn't notice even the slightest difference. The whole process was less than one week.

I'll keep this forum updated if I have any issues with the new paint chipping. (hopefully not)

I wouldn't worry too much about color matching if you have to go through this process. Body shops have to color match on a regular basis whenever a car gets in an accident.

I am on day 26 of waiting to have my car returned back from the body shop. This has been the most frustrating and disappointing process I have ever experienced trying to get this issue repaired. I am happy to hear yours have been less of a headache and more seamless for you. And the result was to your satisfaction. I am hoping the results are worth the wait. Happy driving!

Chipping pics *note-they are a little hard to see due to picture size

skuhl3.jpg

t9wf81.jpg

eb4lfo.jpg

2i5fvc.jpg

This Sonic Silver has done getting up to 1000 miles and there isn’t a mark on it. Time will tell I suppose.

IMG_4557.jpg

Wow, thank you for the pictures! That definitely helps illustrate your comments and what you all are going through! Hopefully the results come back and it holds up better!

Dear lord! That's really bad! What year, and how many miles?
It was a 2017 but purchased Nov. 27th by week 3 of ownership it had about 30. These pictures were taken right at the dealership at drop off for repairs on April 4th. Still no car returned or a return date. 🤬

Wow, that’s horrendous! Our ‘17 Soul Red has 16,000km done and has 4 chips on the hood, 2 of which were the result of a clatter from a large stone … bad luck but it happens. Your case is a paint defect IMHO.

Hey everyone! I just got my car back from the body shop yesterday. I took it in last Monday. So it took over a week and a half. But they were backed up apparently. I also had them repair the rear bumper. Someone dented by bumper, probably in a parking lot. But I don't know where or how. So the repair was not just the new hood. The color match looks good from what I can tell so far. I'm very color sensitive, so I've been trying to look at it in all lighting. I cannot do anything to the car in terms of waxing, clear bra, etc for 4 weeks. I'm considering a clear bra. I saw on a FB group that Mazda is providing someone with a clear bra, so I may ask them to follow up with a clear bra, but I suspect I'm pressing my luck. The service manager told me that Mazda has requested the old hood be returned. He believes they will be examining it and testing it. For the days my car was in the shop, I had a 2017 CX-5 in Machine Gray. It had 3500 miles on it when I got it, 4200 when I returned it. I found one chip and that sucker was hard to find. I washed it twice just to see if I could find chips. Usually the water flows around them differently. I truly believe the Soul Red Crystal Metallic is defective. I wish they would recall it. Maybe it's just certain VIN numbers. I don't know. In a FB group one guy (I believe from Canada) said that certain batches of paint didn't have enough "glue". Whatever that means. But I've seen that a couple people are getting their entire car repainted. They have chipping all over the car. I have a couple chips above the passenger rear window (the small half window). I'm hoping that's fluke or that something truly dinged the car. If this car chips elsewhere I will be trading it like a hot potato and going back to Toyota. Even though Mazda was cooperative with this repair, I know others that had to fight harder than I did to get their hood repaired. And theirs was equally as bad, or worse than mine. So while I didn't have to fight that hard, the issues I've had with this paint (swirls first, then chips) have tainted my experience and this first Mazda will likely be my last Mazda.

So after waiting 37 days for my car to be returned back to me after a complete vehicle repaint...I can say-the car looks worst now than it did before it went in. I refused to take it back and I am waiting to hear back from Mazda on how to proceed. The body shop that performed the service covered the entire vehicle in imperfections-not a bubble-not a dimple. Just try to imagine a really bad nail polish job of many layers of paint that never dried properly (waves and swirls included-and they ruined my white leather driver seat with their greasy pants). The hood replacement went well and the hood was actually the only part of the job that was performed decent. So now Im assuming this will become an endless battle between Mazda and the body shop bc the body shop was threatening to sue the tow truck delivery guys if he returned the vehicle back to his lot. 🤬😭

So after waiting 37 days for my car to be returned back to me after a complete vehicle repaint...I can say-the car looks worst now than it did before it went in. I refused to take it back and I am waiting to hear back from Mazda on how to proceed. The body shop that performed the service covered the entire vehicle in imperfections-not a bubble-not a dimple. Just try to imagine a really bad nail polish job of many layers of paint that never dried properly (waves and swirls included-and they ruined my white leather driver seat with their greasy pants). The hood replacement went well and the hood was actually the only part of the job that was performed decent. So now I’m assuming this will become an endless battle between Mazda and the body shop bc the body shop was threatening to sue the tow truck delivery guys if he returned the vehicle back to his lot. 郎

Wow, that's just disgusting business practice. If you didn't do a good job, own it and fix it. Clearly this is not a good shop I guess. :(

Latest posts

Back