2017 CX-5 Soul Red Crystal Metallic

What do we read from this? Hard paint chips and soft paint absorbs impact right? Who compiled this list and based on what information?

No idea who complied it.

Just found it interesting

Last edited:
I park way in the back away from other cars as much as possible and enjoy the walk to the store.

Sadly some lots, the whole damn thing fills up and there's not much you can do.

At this point, my CX-5's hood is littered with chips, and the sides definitely have scratches. At this point, will need some paint correction if I want to make it pristine again.

Might as well do what Homer did (wink)

sl3fkm.jpg

33awe36.jpg

Absolutely. My car is the loneliest car in England. Furthermore, Anchorwoman has been briefed, re-briefed and cross briefed to ensure it remains so. Despite this, one of my back doors got done. Not sure of the culprit but I did find a car about a foot away from mine one night at the station car park.

I once had a Citroen C5 (I know, I know - it was actually very reliable and smooth riding and quiet). I parked in a public house car park (Elm Tree at Elmton) and I was the first car in the car park and parked well away from the pub and the car park entrance. We went in the pub for something to eat and for some reason it was not very popular that day. We came out and a second car had parked next to mine and all of the other spaces were empty....

The family were busy unloading their tribe from their child seats and were in danger of smacking their doors against my car. I mentioned to them very reasonably that perhaps it would have been a good idea to park elsewhere especially as there was an empty car park and it would have made their life easier as well as ours. The parents gave me a filthy look and out came a torrent of abuse and ffing and blinding (remember, this was in front of their young children). I'm afraid some people are born thick and their capacity to breed is in direct proportion to the low level of their IQ.(hand)(doh)Search out the movie "Idiocracy" for more on this.

I once had a Citroen C5 (I know, I know - it was actually very reliable and smooth riding and quiet). I parked in a public house car park (Elm Tree at Elmton) and I was the first car in the car park and parked well away from the pub and the car park entrance. We went in the pub for something to eat and for some reason it was not very popular that day. We came out and a second car had parked next to mine and all of the other spaces were empty....

The family were busy unloading their tribe from their child seats and were in danger of smacking their doors against my car. I mentioned to them very reasonably that perhaps it would have been a good idea to park elsewhere especially as there was an empty car park and it would have made their life easier as well as ours. The parents gave me a filthy look and out came a torrent of abuse and ffing and blinding (remember, this was in front of their young children). I'm afraid some people are born thick and their capacity to breed is in direct proportion to the low level of their IQ.(hand)(doh)Search out the movie "Idiocracy" for more on this.

Absolutely one of my biggest pet peeves is when someone just, seemingly, intentionally parks right next to you, despite you being 1/2 a mile from the entrance of the building with about 10 parking spaces free in either direction. :/

We really should let Darwinism take its' course with some people. Hahaha

I have been battling with MAZDA Corporate/Exprience since December in regards to the Soul Red paint finish being defective on my 2017 CX5. After many phone calls and relentless emails they have agreed to have my entire car repainted and a new hood replacement due to poor paint adhesion determined by a third party body shop/collision center. Within 3 weeks of purchasing my vehicle my car was covered in 50+ chips on just the hood alone. Also, found on fenders/doors/roof. The matter was processed through regional reps-claimed denied. Then escalated to MAZDA Experience and was eventually processed. Although the repairs have not been completed yet-I have documented confirmation the job will be processed on the expense of Mazda and my hood is being sent to corporate for further inspection. If this is happening to you, be diligent. Make the concern heard. It has been a long process but the lack of quality should not be at the expense of a brand new car owner. It has been a very upsetting ordeal and I hope they realize the flaw and correct it so no one else has to navigate this horrendous process of getting it repaired. CONTACT MAZDA!

I have been battling with MAZDA Corporate/Exprience since December in regards to the Soul Red paint finish being defective on my 2017 CX—5. After many phone calls and relentless emails they have agreed to have my entire car repainted and a new hood replacement due to “poor paint adhesion” determined by a third party body shop/collision center. Within 3 weeks of purchasing my vehicle my car was covered in 50+ chips on just the hood alone. Also, found on fenders/doors/roof. The matter was processed through regional reps-claimed denied. Then escalated to MAZDA Experience and was eventually processed. Although the repairs have not been completed yet-I have documented confirmation the job will be processed on the expense of Mazda and my hood is being sent to corporate for further inspection. If this is happening to you, be diligent. Make the concern heard. It has been a long process but the lack of quality should not be at the expense of a brand new car owner. It has been a very upsetting ordeal and I hope they realize the flaw and correct it so no one else has to navigate this horrendous process of getting it repaired. CONTACT MAZDA!
This is the key. People need to contact Mazda otherwise like you said others will suffer through an ordeal

The question that occurs to me is that if they have determined there is a fault with the way the paint is adhered to the car, are they going to completely remove the paint that is on there or try to stick it on with more paint.

To me, if chips only occur on the front of the car then something has hit it from the front. If the paint is “faulty” then surely all of it is and it would be coming off elsewhere. I would be very reluctant to have the whole car painted as that opens up another can of worms. Who’s going to paint this car and how good at painting are they? You could end up with a proper mess.

The question that occurs to me is that if they have determined there is a fault with the way the paint is adhered to the car, are they going to completely remove the paint that is on there or try to stick it on with more paint.

Also, would you plan on installing a clear bra (XPel, etc) after the repaint? I've had body panels painted on other cars, and I've always been told to wait 4-6 weeks for the paint to fully cure before waxing, sealing, applying a clear bra, etc. Assuming you can't just park your car for that long, that's 4-6 weeks in which new damage from rocks could occur.

I have been battling with MAZDA Corporate/Exprience since December in regards to the Soul Red paint finish being defective on my 2017 CX—5. After many phone calls and relentless emails they have agreed to have my entire car repainted and a new hood replacement due to “poor paint adhesion” determined by a third party body shop/collision center. Within 3 weeks of purchasing my vehicle my car was covered in 50+ chips on just the hood alone. Also, found on fenders/doors/roof. The matter was processed through regional reps-claimed denied. Then escalated to MAZDA Experience and was eventually processed. Although the repairs have not been completed yet-I have documented confirmation the job will be processed on the expense of Mazda and my hood is being sent to corporate for further inspection. If this is happening to you, be diligent. Make the concern heard. It has been a long process but the lack of quality should not be at the expense of a brand new car owner. It has been a very upsetting ordeal and I hope they realize the flaw and correct it so no one else has to navigate this horrendous process of getting it repaired. CONTACT MAZDA!

Exact same experience with me. Mazda hired a third party inspector, and confirmed that there's an issue with the paint adhesion. They're replacing the hood, and having it painted by a body shop. (not my whole car, only the hood). I love how so many people kept saying paint chips are normal, and everyone is overreacting. Clearly there is a major issue with the Soul Red paint. Excess chips are not normal on new cars. Get your head out of the sand people. Call or email Mazda corporate if you're having this issue.

When we get some decent weather, I’ll mark mine up with masking tape like that fella with all the letters in his name.

I’m not complaining unless I’ve got something to complain about.

To me, if chips only occur on the front of the car then something has hit it from the front. If the paint is “faulty” then surely all of it is and it would be coming off elsewhere. I would be very reluctant to have the whole car painted as that opens up another can of worms. Who’s going to paint this car and how good at painting are they? You could end up with a proper mess.

If only hoods are showing the problem, here's another possibility: heat from the engine.

On that guy with the alleged 150 chips they are all over the bumper which doesn’t get hot. Not got a clue what’s going on.

I am not denying there was probably cinders from roads that have come in contact with the paint due to typical wear and tear on traveling with other cars on the roads. However, this is typical of driving any vehicle. The extent of the damage and the time it occurred (such a short period of time) is where it was determined it was poor paint adhesion. The body shop said it was probably the worst they have ever seen-knowing the car was a brand new purchase.

They have agreed to completely remove all paint over the entire vehicle and repaint to factory standards. I am very apprehensive in having it repaired just because quality will not be performed at a factory-I paid for a brand new vehicle-no less $600 extra for the color. I should have nothing less than a factory finish. We shall see the results once the repairs are performed. If I am unhappy with the outcome they will be hearing the wrath. I will just have to wait and see. 😔

I am not denying there was probably cinders from roads that have come in contact with the paint due to typical wear and tear on traveling with other cars on the roads. However, this is typical of driving any vehicle. The extent of the damage and the time it occurred (such a short period of time) is where it was determined it was poor paint adhesion. The body shop said “it was probably the worst they have ever seen-knowing the car was a brand new purchase”.

They have agreed to completely remove all paint over the entire vehicle and repaint to factory standards. I am very apprehensive in having it repaired just because quality will not be performed at a factory-I paid for a brand new vehicle-no less $600 extra for the color. I should have nothing less than a factory finish. We shall see the results once the repairs are performed. If I am unhappy with the outcome they will be hearing the wrath. I will just have to wait and see. ��

Make sure you get some sort of written guarantee of the work they will do includig paint quality etc

According to the C.E. representative that I had initially discussed the claim with - it is color specific and there were 3 open cases with the same exact concerns. Once your hood was repainted, how was the quality of blending/color match to the rest of the car? I am so nervous that the color quality is going to vary and you are going to be able to tell it was repainted.

According to the C.E. representative that I had initially discussed the claim with - it is color specific and there were 3 open cases with the same exact concerns. Once your hood was repainted, how was the quality of blending/color match to the rest of the car? I am so nervous that the color quality is going to vary and you are going to be able to tell it was repainted.

If they are repainting the entire vehicle, provided they do all the correct prep work to the old paint, the new one should match all over

It hasn't been repainted yet. I have an appointment to drop it off Monday morning. I'll keep everyone updated on this forum once the work is complete

I purchased my soul red CX-5 on 12/31/17. Within a week a had 2 large 'chips' on the hood. At 5000 miles I now have several more large chips showing bare metal.
All across the fascia are 'multiple' small chips. What else can I do to get this taken care of?
Thanks for this forum!

Back