Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 CX-5 Soul Red Crystal Metallic

Registered Member

cx5

2017 CX-5 Soul Red Crystal Metallic

We purchases our Soul Red Crystal Metallic CX-5 in June. We believe the paint may be defective. The car has several paint chips in it. At first, we thought we just had the misfortune of getting some stone chips. We contacted the dealership when there were only three paint chips. We were told that the touch up paint was not yet available. The dealership did not feel there was a defect in the paint. We now have at least 10 small chips in the paint. Is anyone else having this problem?

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Is it all on the hood?

Mazda paint is pretty thin.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD | Jet Black Mica - 77k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 buy

Registered Member

cx5

The chips started two weeks after we bought the car. They started on the hood. Now we are getting them on the driver's side front fender. They started small and are getting bigger.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring

Donít tailgate! Leave a few car space distance between you and the car in front of you. The closer you get, the more chips you will get. Although, there in inevitable.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by heatherrae View Post
    We purchases our Soul Red Crystal Metallic CX-5 in June. We believe the paint may be defective. The car has several paint chips in it. At first, we thought we just had the misfortune of getting some stone chips. We contacted the dealership when there were only three paint chips. We were told that the touch up paint was not yet available. The dealership did not feel there was a defect in the paint. We now have at least 10 small chips in the paint. Is anyone else having this problem?
    Could you post some pictures. It's rumored on here that Mazda paint is thin, but its going to be impossible to tell if it's truly defective without some pics.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX 5 Touring

2017-CX-5-Soul-Red-Crystal

Quote Originally Posted by Aznbagel View Post
    Could you post some pictures. It's rumored on here that Mazda paint is thin, but its going to be impossible to tell if it's truly defective without some pics.
    I also have this same CX5 with the same paint. Because the special paint cost was an extra $600 I had the 3M clear cover put on for an other $950. This color is so great I just did not want it full of chips.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring

Quote Originally Posted by White View Post
    I also have this same CX5 with the same paint. Because the special paint cost was an extra $600 I had the 3M clear cover put on for an other $950. This color is so great I just did not want it full of chips.
    I believe itís a 3 stage paint. I have a 17í snowflake pearl mica. I ordered some touch-up through a company called paint touch-up or something. They said if matches. I will find out sooner or later.

I wish there was an alternative to the Xpel, or something cheaper to use. I hate those leather things too.

Oh well, itís a car. It can always be repainted I guess!

Thanks Jeff

2016.5 Mazda CX 5 Grand Touring W/ Tech PKG

Quote Originally Posted by Jman136 View Post
    Don’t tailgate! Leave a few car space distance between you and the car in front of you. The closer you get, the more chips you will get. Although, there in inevitable.
    Not necessarily true, (about the chips) while talegateing is bad, yes true sure.. However I do not tailgate I have several chips in my paint as well. I do fell the Mazda paint is to thin or too soft. How many of you got the sales pitch for their clear bra services.. I feel they do this as they know the paint is thin.

My red ‘96 BMW has much fewer chips on it vs. my one year old CX 5..

Registered Member

2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black

Quote Originally Posted by ddtigger1 View Post
    ...I do fell the Mazda paint is to thin or too soft....
    Softer would presumably make it less brittle and hence less likely to chip.

Registered Member

cx5

Tailgating is something I never do.

2017 CX-5 GT w/ Premium Pkg.

Sometimes having fewer chips on a previous car doesn't necessarily mean paint is bad on this car. Maybe just so happens on previous car there weren't as much rocks and debris hitting your car compared to now. It's really hard to base it on a previous car, I feel it really depends on the road you're driving on and how dirty it is and so forth, or just luck lol My 2009 black pontiac vibe had so many chips up front it almost always looked dirty. My 2014 mazda 3 which was also white had only 3-5 chips on the front bumper in the 3+ years I've had it. Then on my 2017 cx-5 I've only had it for a few months and already got a couple chips on my hood. I'm pretty sure paint is thin, but I'm not really going to blame it or it really being an "issue" as I feel it's just how lucky or unlucky you are with rocks and stuffs on the road.

Registered Member

cx5

Have you spoke with the dealership about your chips and did you get any helpful insight? We spoke with them a few weeks after we purchased the car and again at the first oil change. We will be talking with them again tonorrow as we seem to be getting new chips on a daily basis.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow 2017 CX-5 Soul Red Crystal Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by heatherrae View Post
    Have you spoke with the dealership about your chips and did you get any helpful insight? We spoke with them a few weeks after we purchased the car and again at the first oil change. We will be talking with them again tonorrow as we seem to be getting new chips on a daily basis.
    Talking to your Mazda dealer wonít get you to anywhere for your paint issue. You need to contact Cusromer Experience Center at Mazda North American Operations to express your concerns and you may get some resolution from them directly.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT

i have the same issue with my soul red GT and didn't think much of it but i don't want to have the paint chip more and more while on a lease and have to pay for damages

2016.5 Mazda CX 5 Grand Touring W/ Tech PKG

Quote Originally Posted by murky View Post
    Softer would presumably make it less brittle and hence less likely to chip.
    Correct, maybe bad choice of words, soft; as in not durable... no hard enough to withstand some rocks & knocks...
    Last edited by ddtigger1; 10-01-2017 at 08:06 PM.

Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast