2017 CX-5 Soul Red Crystal Metallic

So after waiting 37 days for my car to be returned back to me after a complete vehicle repaint...I can say-the car looks worst now than it did before it went in. I refused to take it back and I am waiting to hear back from Mazda on how to proceed. The body shop that performed the service covered the entire vehicle in imperfections-not a bubble-not a dimple. Just try to imagine a really bad nail polish job of many layers of paint that never dried properly (waves and swirls included-and they ruined my white leather driver seat with their greasy pants). The hood replacement went well and the hood was actually the only part of the job that was performed decent. So now Im assuming this will become an endless battle between Mazda and the body shop bc the body shop was threatening to sue the tow truck delivery guys if he returned the vehicle back to his lot. 🤬😭

Did the dealership feel the work was satisfactory? What was their response?

Did the dealership feel the work was satisfactory? What was their response?
The auto body shop felt the results were showroom quality. Mazda sent a representative to check the quality today and they determined the results were to standard also. I do not understand how though. We are thinking maybe with the angle they were looking at it verses the angle in which we saw it (on the back of a roll back) had us seeing the flaws and they could not. The tow truck guy and his 15 daughter all saw what we saw and couldnt believe they thought it was acceptable. They too were picking out the flaws.
I also feel that without us being present you have two parties (Mazda and the auto body shop) trying to get out of having to not fix a big problem. We are waiting to hear back from Mazda to see if we can arrange a meeting with the Mazda representative so we can show them exactly what we saw.
Does anyone have any advice? What happens if we still disagree with Mazdas representative and do not believe the vehicle was painted correctly and to factory condition?

The auto body shop felt the results were showroom quality. Mazda sent a representative to check the quality today and they determined the results were to standard also. I do not understand how though. We are thinking maybe with the angle they were looking at it verses the angle in which we saw it (on the back of a roll back) had us seeing the flaws and they could not. The tow truck guy and his 15 daughter all saw what we saw and couldnt believe they thought it was acceptable. They too were picking out the flaws.
I also feel that without us being present you have two parties (Mazda and the auto body shop) trying to get out of having to not fix a big problem. We are waiting to hear back from Mazda to see if we can arrange a meeting with the Mazda representative so we can show them exactly what we saw.
Does anyone have any advice? What happens if we still disagree with Mazdas representative and do not believe the vehicle was painted correctly and to factory condition?

Here's my advice,and it really depends on how much energy you want to put into this:

1. Keep trying to peacefully work it out with Mazda.

2. Some people have got Mazda's attention by writing poor reviews on their social media platforms, such as Facebook. Tell your whole story there. For some companies, their marketing teams have more power than their customer service teams.

3. If you feel they're not being reasonable, kindly the customer service department for Mazda's legal department's contact information, so you can pass it on to your lawyer. Make it clear to Mazda that you feel you've exhausted all options with them, and you're next steps are legal action.

4. If they don't flinch with your legal threat, your only other option is to actually hire a lawyer.

Here's my advice,and it really depends on how much energy you want to put into this:

1. Keep trying to peacefully work it out with Mazda.

2. Some people have got Mazda's attention by writing poor reviews on their social media platforms, such as Facebook. Tell your whole story there. For some companies, their marketing teams have more power than their customer service teams.

3. If you feel they're not being reasonable, kindly the customer service department for Mazda's legal department's contact information, so you can pass it on to your lawyer. Make it clear to Mazda that you feel you've exhausted all options with them, and you're next steps are legal action.

4. If they don't flinch with your legal threat, your only other option is to actually hire a lawyer.

Thanks for the response and input. I spoke with them again today and we are setting up an appointment to meet the Mazda Representative to personally show and discuss the marks that we found in detail. So we will have to see what the outcome is once the meeting concludes. Hopefully some kind of resolution can be reached. I do not believe a vehicle could be painted 3 times but we will also have to see what happens.

Good day folks, I see that most of the complaints here are for the Soul Red, but I have seen other colors of the CX-5 with weak paint. I am looking to buy a 2018 silver one, but I'm really worried about the comments on the paint quality in this forum (and others). I called Mazda Canada and they don't recognize any issues with paint. I have let them know that there are forums out there with people complaining about the paint quality and if it only pertains to the red. Again, they said that they don't have any issues with the paint. This paint problem seems to have started with the 2016.5 and continues on to 2018.

I have test driven black, silver and grey and can tell you that they all have surface scratches and stone chips. This is unacceptable for a vehicle less than one year old with 6,000 to 11,000 KM. I have a rental black Ford Escape and can tell you that the paint used by Ford is much harder than that of Mazda. I really like the car as it meets all my needs and looks great, but I'm really concerned about the paint quality.

Does anyone else have problems with paint quality? what color do you have?

Good day folks, I see that most of the complaints here are for the Soul Red, but I have seen other colors of the CX-5 with weak paint. I am looking to buy a 2018 silver one, but I'm really worried about the comments on the paint quality in this forum (and others). I called Mazda Canada and they don't recognize any issues with paint. I have let them know that there are forums out there with people complaining about the paint quality and if it only pertains to the red. Again, they said that they don't have any issues with the paint. This paint problem seems to have started with the 2016.5 and continues on to 2018.

I have test driven black, silver and grey and can tell you that they all have surface scratches and stone chips. This is unacceptable for a vehicle less than one year old with 6,000 to 11,000 KM. I have a rental black Ford Escape and can tell you that the paint used by Ford is much harder than that of Mazda. I really like the car as it meets all my needs and looks great, but I'm really concerned about the paint quality.

I have a Sonic Silver CX5 purchased last October. I haven’t noticed any chips yet.

My 2018 Sonic Silver has couple of chips from some road work being carried out on I-95. Too early in my ownership to relate that to the paint quality, however keeping a close eye on it as we continue to hear more from everyone on here.

My 2018 Sonic Silver has couple of chips from some road work being carried out on I-95. Too early in my ownership to relate that to the paint quality, however keeping a close eye on it as we continue to hear more from everyone on here.

Are they noticeable from a distance or close up (uhm)

Thanks guys, I think I need to move this up to a new topic to get more feedback. I'm really concerned before I commit to the purchase

fwiw, I have a black 17 GT with 7k miles and I have one paint chip on the hood and some scratches on the front bumper. I'm not impressed with Mazda's paint. My last car which died was a mid 2000s mercedes and whenever I brought it in for repairs the mechanics were so surprised as to how well the paint held up. no rusting, no chips. as much as I love Mazda their paint supplier is garbage.

Based on the number of complaints / concerns there is a problem with the Soul Red Crystal Paint. The process created a very thin paint that chips and the chips keep getting larger. We bought our CX5 in October, 2017. Within a week, there were 2 chips on the panel bar on the passenger side. I asked about buying a touch up paint but was told there was no paint available. I looked the whole winter - none in the warehouse or at any dealer. With that fact alone, something seemed not right with the paint. My second oil change in June 2018, I told the service manager I was not happy as there were numerous chips by this point. She told me another customer had the same concerns. As set up by the service manager, the other customer and I met at the dealership on a date where the 'Regional manager' was to meet us. He did not show. He told the service manager to take pictures of the chips and email them to him as he was not aware of a problem. That was 3 weeks ago. I told the service manager to look at the forums. She looked them up and she agreed there must be a problem with the paint. She postit-noted and took numerous pictures of 55 chips in the paint on our new CX5. We have a 2004 Maxda 6 with over 100,000 miles on it and it has no where near that number of chips. I have not heard back from the regional manager and have sent him another email today.

Its good that I did not go for 2017 or 2018 for that matter. I have hardly any chips, etc. in my 2016 also Soul Red. Only thing I did was whenever I go on long trip (above 4 hrs.) OR when I am going camping, etc. I put on the nose mask - OEM. 2nd. thing I do I hardly ever get less than 2 car lengths behind car in front, especially when driving above 55 (non urban traffic).

Found my first two tiny chips on the hood when washing the car yesterday.
Cannot believe there is no touchup paint for it.
Makes me REALLY glad I'm leasing.

And the Soul Red touch up paints I have seen for both Gen 2 and Gen 1 look pink and don't match at all anyway.

Only way they would match is if it is made using the exact paint code

The issue isn't so much the paint code. It's the application of the paint, esp if paint is tri-coated. Check out the thread in the Appearance sections regarding DR color Chip. Apparently, they are able to color match the paint post application process which should be better than an oem paint pen.

Back