2017 CX-5 Soul Red Crystal Metallic

We purchased a CX5 Red Crystal Metallic in June 2017. Started with a few chips, now a year later more then a dozen on the hood. Dealer says it doesn't look like stone chips. They claim they have not heard of paint issues, which i find hard to believe after reading comments on this site.

We purchased a CX5 Red Crystal Metallic in June 2017. Started with a few chips, now a year later more then a dozen on the hood. Dealer says it doesn't look like stone chips. They claim they have not heard of paint issues, which i find hard to believe after reading comments on this site.

Go over their head to Mazda North America Operations

The sooner you get to the dealer and report the problem the better shape you are in from a legal perspective. I waited way longer than I should have because I read here about all the people being told Mazda would do nothing. Buying touch-up paint and trying to fix the chips myself was a big mistake. I had such a hard time finding touch-up paint, that by he time I got it there were way more chips than I had noticed when I realized I needed it.

Mazda knows they have a problem, and the dealers have been sent a memo with the contact info at Mazda for the single person assigned to all these cases. While it might be that an individual dealer employee "has not seen this before", but Mazda absolutely knows about it.

Tomorrow will be the 63rd day since my car was left at the dealer. For all I know they shipped it back to the factory in Japan to repaint it. Since they have had my car over 30 days, they know it has to be perfect before it is returned to me or they could be in for a lemon law action.

Swampman, there is a link to filing a complaint with Mazda customer service earlier in this thread. Find it and register your complaint TODAY!

Last edited:
Tomorrow will be the 63rd day since my car was left at the dealer. For all I know they shipped it back to the factory in Japan to repaint it. Since they have had my car over 30 days, they know it has to be perfect before it is returned to me or they could be in for a lemon law action.

Have you made regular contact with them (uhm) What are they saying (uhm)

If no response, what about Mazda NO HQ (uhm)

First of all, nobody from Mazda would even talk to me. I have multiple text messages to the dealer begging to talk to the Mazda representative. The only contact from them is via email: "let us paint those parts of your car we have decided need paint or please come and pick-up your car".

I was at the dealer to talk to the service manager (he's on vacation") and check on it on Thursday morning. What a waste of time. The service advisor claimed he had talked the body shop and they were hoping to have it for me tomorrow. Since this is what I have been hearing for weeks, I laughed at him and said, "After eight weeks, TOMORROW is not very likely."

First of all, nobody from Mazda would even talk to me. I have multiple text messages to the dealer begging to talk to the Mazda representative. The only contact from them is via email: "let us paint those parts of your car we have decided need paint or please come and pick-up your car".

I was at the dealer to talk to the service manager (he's on vacation") and check on it on Thursday morning. What a waste of time. The service advisor claimed he had talked the body shop and they were hoping to have it for me tomorrow. Since this is what I have been hearing for weeks, I laughed at him and said, "After eight weeks, TOMORROW is not very likely."

Yeesh, what dealership is this?

You can't ring up Mazda HQ and speak to someone there (scratch).

Think it is time for them to be involved since the dealer is not being very helpful

I'd be interested to know the build dates for the vehicles in question, to see if Mazda quietly addressed the issue. I have a 2018 CX5 GT that was built in 04/2018, and I don't have a single paint chip on it after 2 months of normal use.

The story I have been piecing together is that the 2017 launch had quite a few of these little quality/manufacturing issues that are being quietly addressed for 2018. The ironic thing is I rushed out to get a 2017 because the cylinder deactivation feature turned me off, and now I wish I hadn't. My 2017 has literally every issue I have seen raised in this forum, the worst of which is the seat foam with the incorrect "wedge" shape that makes it feel like you're sitting on two logs. I've come dangerously close to getting rid of the vehicle over that one, it's the 5K depreciation hit that keeps stopping me.

Really wanted to love my CX-5. I can forgive things like paint chips and trim that doesn't fit right. But a seat that causes actual body pain, not just discomfort, just breaks the whole deal.

The story I have been piecing together is that the 2017 launch had quite a few of these little quality/manufacturing issues that are being quietly addressed for 2018. The ironic thing is I rushed out to get a 2017 because the cylinder deactivation feature turned me off, and now I wish I hadn't. My 2017 has literally every issue I have seen raised in this forum, the worst of which is the seat foam with the incorrect "wedge" shape that makes it feel like you're sitting on two logs. I've come dangerously close to getting rid of the vehicle over that one, it's the 5K depreciation hit that keeps stopping me.

Really wanted to love my CX-5. I can forgive things like paint chips and trim that doesn't fit right. But a seat that causes actual body pain, not just discomfort, just breaks the whole deal.

Did you experience the seat issue when you did am extended test drive (uhm)

Did you experience the seat issue when you did am extended test drive (uhm)

No. It felt somewhat constricting, but no pain. I had gained some weight which I intended to lose again so I chalked it up to that. It actually took about 2 months for the problem to kick in, and it has steadily grown worse day by day since then. Now I cannot stand to sit in the seat. The pain begins within 10 seconds.

The problem is the shape of the side bolster where it meets the bottom cushion. Instead of steadily sloping down it suddenly cuts off sharply and goes straight down as it nears the cushion. This forms about a 45 degree wedge shaped edge at the inner part of the side bolster. Now, this is pretty hard form that doesn't like to squish, and the design of the seat side frame is also designed to not let the foam "spread out" so the bolster can hold you in place during aggressive cornering.

My guess is this 'wedge' of hard foam is in just the right place to be pushing against a nerve in my hip and that is pinching the nerve against my hip bone. It's very much a sharp, throbbing nerve pain. I've considered getting the seat re-upolstered...... having that hard foam shaved off and replaced with something softer. There is a post on this subject on the forum. But I have no idea what to expect in terms of quality of work. The bolster may fall apart a year later and then I have a new car with a ruined seat.

My dealer experience was, shall we say, not great. The car was delivered with serious paint damage and contamination issues that they never really resolved. I have no confidence they will show any inclination to help with the issue, and they are the only dealership within hours of me (I live in the middle of nowhere).

No. It felt somewhat constricting, but no pain. I had gained some weight which I intended to lose again so I chalked it up to that. It actually took about 2 months for the problem to kick in, and it has steadily grown worse day by day since then. Now I cannot stand to sit in the seat. The pain begins within 10 seconds.

The problem is the shape of the side bolster where it meets the bottom cushion. Instead of steadily sloping down it suddenly cuts off sharply and goes straight down as it nears the cushion. This forms about a 45 degree wedge shaped edge at the inner part of the side bolster. Now, this is pretty hard form that doesn't like to squish, and the design of the seat side frame is also designed to not let the foam "spread out" so the bolster can hold you in place during aggressive cornering.

My guess is this 'wedge' of hard foam is in just the right place to be pushing against a nerve in my hip and that is pinching the nerve against my hip bone. It's very much a sharp, throbbing nerve pain. I've considered getting the seat re-upolstered...... having that hard foam shaved off and replaced with something softer. There is a post on this subject on the forum. But I have no idea what to expect in terms of quality of work. The bolster may fall apart a year later and then I have a new car with a ruined seat.

My dealer experience was, shall we say, not great. The car was delivered with serious paint damage and contamination issues that they never really resolved. I have no confidence they will show any inclination to help with the issue, and they are the only dealership within hours of me (I live in the middle of nowhere).

(hmm) - maybe you should of activated your "Lemon Laws"

I doubt my state even has one. It's mostly a case of bad luck really, but I'm just amazed that Mazda would design a seat bolster with that shape. Seems like asking for trouble, which is why I believe they weren't actually supposed to be that way. I think the wedge is an accident and that part of the bolster was suppposed to meet flush with the bottom cushion. It would make much more sense for it to be that way.

My thing is....... something always goes wrong. I've gotten so tired of fighting it so unless it's really bad I just surrender now without a fight. But this seat issue is really really bad.

Back