2017 CX-5 Soul Red Crystal Metallic

I purchased my soul red CX-5 on 12/31/17. Within a week a had 2 large 'chips' on the hood. At 5000 miles I now have several more large chips showing bare metal.
All across the fascia are 'multiple' small chips. What else can I do to get this taken care of?
Thanks for this forum!

Take it to the dealer and or complain to Mazda North America HQ

Was there ever an outcome from MAZDA for you? I am presently getting my entire vehicle repainted-at the cost of Mazda. Very similar scenario as you. So I wanted to see if there was a resolution reached for you as well. My vehicle had over 100 chips on the hood alone but found all over the vehicle too. I battled with Mazda experience for months but they made arrangements for the entire car to be repainted. It is presently at the body shop for the next 2 weeks. Curious to see if multiple customers were getting the same outcomes.

Was there ever an outcome from MAZDA for you? I am presently getting my entire vehicle repainted-at the cost of Mazda. Very similar scenario as you. So I wanted to see if there was a resolution reached for you as well. My vehicle had over 100 chips on the hood alone but found all over the vehicle too. I battled with Mazda experience for months but they made arrangements for the entire car to be repainted. It is presently at the body shop for the next 2 weeks. Curious to see if multiple customers were getting the same outcomes.

Just dropped mine off at the dealership today. Mazda agreed to replace the hood, and have it painted. I didn't have issues with any other panels, so as long as they match the color, I'll be happy. They said it should take about a week. I'll keep you updated.

Did you get yours back yet? Were you satisfied?

The loaner they gave me, also a 2017 soul red, had chips all over the hood. Only 5,000 miles on it.

Just dropped mine off at the dealership today. Mazda agreed to replace the hood, and have it painted. I didn't have issues with any other panels, so as long as they match the color, I'll be happy. They said it should take about a week. I'll keep you updated.

Did you get yours back yet? Were you satisfied?

The loaner they gave me, also a 2017 soul red, had chips all over the hood. Only 5,000 miles on it.

I just heard from my dealer that my hood is in. I'm going out of town next Wed. I won't let them paint it before then. No way will I drive my newly painted car on a road trip.

A week huh? Maybe I'll let them do my car while I'm out of town and drive the loaner on my road trip! LOL How many chips do you think is on your loaner?

Do they expect the new paint to not chip as badly? I'm very nervous about doing this. I wonder if they will blend the paint on the fenders. I have a chip or two on the top of one fender but at this point I care about the hood really. That 90% of the front end. But I'm honestly scared to let them do this. I would like to clear bra the hood immediately , but I heard I have to wait 6-8 weeks to let the paint cure.

sjtilney please please update us! I'm bummed it will take a week.

Has Mazda stated what the problem actually is? Was it the paint itself? The application process? Both? Regarding a re-paint, any idea how it's "going to be different this time", such that the paint will be more durable?

I contacted Mazda back in Feb about the same issue with my Soul Red. They immediately followed up, and asked for pictures. Due to persistent bad weather, I never sent the pictures, but will do so tonight.

Regarding waiting for the paint to cure before applying some type of clear bra, what a conundrum!

Has Mazda stated what the problem actually is? Was it the paint itself? The application process? Both? Regarding a re-paint, any idea how it's "going to be different this time", such that the paint will be more durable?

I contacted Mazda back in Feb about the same issue with my Soul Red. They immediately followed up, and asked for pictures. Due to persistent bad weather, I never sent the pictures, but will do so tonight.

Regarding waiting for the paint to cure before applying some type of clear bra, what a conundrum!

They haven't told me what they think the problem is. I sent the pics they requested. Then I had to take it to the dealer for an inspection and now it's the hood replacement... They said it's a goodwill gesture and not a defect. But I say something is wrong or they wouldn't be doing this. I don't expect the new paint to be better which is concerning.

They haven't told me what they think the problem is. I sent the pics they requested. Then I had to take it to the dealer for an inspection and now it's the hood replacement... They said it's a goodwill gesture and not a defect. But I say something is wrong or they wouldn't be doing this. I don't expect the new paint to be better which is concerning.

Have you ever posted pics of the damage here?

The saddest thing is that Mazda created this beautiful signature paint color and they can't figure out how to make it sustainable. While I miss the beautiful color of my 16 Soul Red when I traded up I did not want it again. When the hood of your red car looks like it's splattered with white paint it's just disheartening, coupled with the fact that they haven't fixed the issue with the newer models either, well I would advise anyone against it in the future. I'm sorry you're going through this, I'm glad they're repainting/replacing the hood, I would definitely get the film as soon as possible to maintain the new paint.

Can we get some before and after pictures of this situation? I just read through this and i see a lot of words and not much to illustrate the points. Before and after would go a long way in helping others going through this. (Im not, just throwing it out there)

Can we get some before and after pictures of this situation? I just read through this and i see a lot of words and not much to illustrate the points. Before and after would go a long way in helping others going through this. (Im not, just throwing it out there)

Yeah, sorry didn't think to take pictures before I traded mine in, so hopefully someone going through the process with Mazda right now can get you some pictures

Just noticed that the premium for soul red paint is now down to $295 on 17s and 18s, down from $595 (?) last year.
The bad reports may be diminishing demand for it.

It's very difficult to take pictures of paint chips. They're too small to show up in a picture which covers the entire hood. A close up picture of a single chip won't help you much either. In this case, words are the best way to describe in issue.

Just noticed that the premium for soul red paint is now down to $295 on 17s and 18s, down from $595 (?) last year.
The bad reports may be diminishing demand for it.

What you saw was it starts with the gray and the difference between the gray and soul is $295. The soul is still $595.

According to the C.E. representative that I had initially discussed the claim with - it is color specific and there were 3 open cases with the same exact concerns. Once your hood was repainted, how was the quality of blending/color match to the rest of the car? I am so nervous that the color quality is going to vary and you are going to be able to tell it was repainted.

I just got my CX-5 back from Mazda yesterday. They replaced the hood with an unpainted hood, and took it to a body shop to have it painted. The color matching was perfect. I couldn't notice even the slightest difference. The whole process was less than one week.

I'll keep this forum updated if I have any issues with the new paint chipping. (hopefully not)

I wouldn't worry too much about color matching if you have to go through this process. Body shops have to color match on a regular basis whenever a car gets in an accident.

I just got my CX-5 back from Mazda yesterday. They replaced the hood with an unpainted hood, and took it to a body shop to have it painted. The color matching was perfect. I couldn't notice even the slightest difference. The whole process was less than one week.

I'll keep this forum updated if I have any issues with the new paint chipping. (hopefully not)

I wouldn't worry too much about color matching if you have to go through this process. Body shops have to color match on a regular basis whenever a car gets in an accident.

Yay! So glad to hear this. Mine goes in Monday. But last week I noticed the first chips on the body of the car (not the hood), so I'm concerned..

I struggle to believe only 3 open cases. Cause other than you and me, I know another... I would say there has to be more.

Please keep us updated. My repaint will be PPG paint.. Do you know what yours was? Any plans for a clear bra?

Back