2017 CX-5 Soul Red Crystal Metallic

The issue isn't so much the paint code. It's the application of the paint, esp if paint is tri-coated. Check out the thread in the Appearance sections regarding DR color Chip. Apparently, they are able to color match the paint post application process which should be better than an oem paint pen.

Yeah I saw that thread but as you said they matched the colour.

Over here we have generic pens (I have a silver one) because we can't get without paying top dollar a factory paint code specced touch up pen and because of this, the colour doesn't match. The applicator pen itself is OK.

Part and parcel of owning a vehicle which travels of a variety of roads with varying conditions I suppose

He’s popped up on some of the other websites inciting panic.

Recalls are for safety issues. If anyone has any concerns with their paint, the first stop should be dealer/Mazda. That’s how the law sees it too.

Found over 10 chips on the hood of our 2.5 month old (less than 5k miles) CX-5 while washing it today :-( I contacted Mazda through their general customer experience email form, so I guess that's the first step. I know a couple people on here have had success in getting Mazda to address this issue, so any advice is appreciated. The car is otherwise PERFECT, but this is totally unacceptable. I'll definitely get film protection applied at some point, but I'd really like to see Mazda step up and fix the existing chips first. Maybe that's naive and I should just buy a DCC kit...but that seems so wrong on such a new car.

View attachment 219455View attachment 219452View attachment 219456View attachment 219453View attachment 219454

Last edited:
Found over 10 chips on the hood of our 2.5 month old (less than 5k miles) CX-5 while washing it today :-( I contacted Mazda through their general customer experience email form, so I guess that's the first step. I know a couple people on here have had success in getting Mazda to address this issue, so any advice is appreciated. The car is otherwise PERFECT, but this is totally unacceptable. I'll definitely get film protection applied at some point, but I'd really like to see Mazda step up and fix the existing chips first. Maybe that's naive and I should just buy a DCC kit...but that seems so wrong on such a new car.

It is wrong and they should fix it. Not to mention,any reputable film installer isn’t going to lay film over a non paint corrected surface. It really defeats the purpose. Glad the red (and white,just me) weren’t even in consideration when buying ours as I’d be getting/they’d be giving me a new CX-5 in a different color from the stories I’ve seen and heard...

View attachment 219455View attachment 219452View attachment 219456View attachment 219453View attachment 219454

Keep at them if they are not being co-operative

It is wrong and they should fix it. Not to mention,any reputable film installer isn’t going to lay film over a non paint corrected surface. It really defeats the purpose. Glad the red (and white,just me) weren’t even in consideration when buying ours as I’d be getting/they’d be giving me a new CX-5 in a different color from the stories I’ve seen and heard...

Keep at them if they are not being co-operative

Thanks for the encouragement. Mazda already replied to my email and told me to make an appointment with my dealership. I figured that's what they'd say, but I was genuinely surprised they got back to me so quickly and actually sounded concerned about the issue. The agent said to let her know the date and time of the appointment so she could contact the dealer beforehand with instructions. I immediately forwarded the email to my salesperson along with some photos and he got back to me right away to say he'd speak with service on Monday. I'll keep folks updated, but at least for today the wheels are in motion.

I immediately forwarded the email to my salesperson along with some photos and he got back to me right away to say he'd speak with service on Monday. I'll keep folks updated, but at least for today the wheels are in motion.

Do not bother with emailing the salesman. He sold you the car, his job is done, until you are ready to trade it in again... You should be in contact with the service manager instead.

What he said^^^. Never understand why people think a salesperson has any influence/clout in these situations!

I would say that it doesn’t really matter. His salesman is his first line of contact as he drives away with the new car and he obviously won’t attempt to deal with paint defects, he’ll refer straight back to the aftersales dept. He’s obviously done that if there is an appointment that Mazda are aware of.

I would say that it doesn’t really matter. His salesman is his first line of contact as he drives away with the new car and he obviously won’t attempt to deal with paint defects, he’ll refer straight back to the aftersales dept. He’s obviously done that if there is an appointment that Mazda are aware of.

It's just an unnecessary extra step.

It's just an unnecessary extra step.

Agreed, in my own experience, once the papers are signed, the salesperson is no longer interested in being a point of contact. Calls do not get returned, emails can disappear, and the salesman can move on to another profession or dealer.
(hide)

However, I can only speak for the US market that I have experienced personally. My hope is that there are indeed some countries out there whereby contacting the car salesperson will yield immediate results.

(shrug)

Thanks for the encouragement. Mazda already replied to my email and told me to make an appointment with my dealership. I figured that's what they'd say, but I was genuinely surprised they got back to me so quickly and actually sounded concerned about the issue. The agent said to let her know the date and time of the appointment so she could contact the dealer beforehand with instructions. I immediately forwarded the email to my salesperson along with some photos and he got back to me right away to say he'd speak with service on Monday. I'll keep folks updated, but at least for today the wheels are in motion.
Hope it works out quickly and painlessly

Well, I'm going to add in my two cents worth here.
2017 Mazda 6 GT, Machine Grey, bought last October. Currently at 9,000 Kms, or about 5,500 miles.
Gets driven around my neighbourhood, to and from Costco, Wal-mart etc. No country roads or unpaved roads.
It already has more paint chips on the hood and fenders (along with a light scratch about 12 inches long on the drivers door) than my 2002 Pathfinder (with 314,000 kms) has incurred in it's lifetime.
VERY dissapointed in the paint quality and finish of this vehicle. Worst I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot of cars.
These chips did not come from driving behind trucks on the freeway, or anything like that.
I am anal when it comes to taking care of my cars.
The fact is, I can't even begin to tell you where they are coming from. I have no idea what is causing it. That's what's so frustrating.
One thing I did do myself however, was that I managed to put a minor scratch on the trunk lid, with my fingernail.
How you ask? There was a bug on it, and I flicked it away with my finger.....and scratched the paint. That is absolutely beyond pathetic. I am not impressed.
As much as I like this car, the features, the drive, etc., after only 8 months of ownership, I have already decided that if this continues to get worse over the next few months, I will be seriously considering getting rid of this thing.
I cannot drive a car that going to look like it was machine gunned.
I have lost my new car enthusiasm for this vehicle, and as of now, I will not buy another Mazda.

Something that could be of interest here is Kia are offering to repaint Sunset Yellow Stingers due to stone chips etc.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/665118/kia-stinger-respray-promised-for-defective-yellow-paint/

Kia will shortly contact customers of Sunset Yellow Kia Stingers to offer a full vehicle respray due to defective paintwork, the company has told CarAdvice today.

The botched paint is understood to include an oil that causes long-term durability to fail, causing easy cracking from stone chips and other incidental contact.

Currently the only Stinger paint colour affected is Sunset Yellow, and Kia will cover the full cost of a respray and also cover the paintwork with a lifetime guarantee.

Speaking with CarAdvice at the launch of the facelifted Kia Sportage, Kia Australia chief operating officer, Damien Meredith, said it has begun the process of contacting the 50 plus customers to advise them of defects with their paint.

Hi all,

Came across this thread as Im thinking of buying the Soul Red CX-5 this week. Im glad I did as there seems to be some horror stories that some of you are dealing with.

Does anyone know if this issue is affecting newer cars or if its still the same as the ones describered here? From my reading it seems like the Machine Gray suffers from the same issue. Is is limited to these 2 only?

Thanks in advance and I hope everyone has a satisfactory ending to their problems.

Paul

Back