2017 CX-5 Soul Red Crystal Metallic

heatherrae

:
cx5
We purchases our Soul Red Crystal Metallic CX-5 in June. We believe the paint may be defective. The car has several paint chips in it. At first, we thought we just had the misfortune of getting some stone chips. We contacted the dealership when there were only three paint chips. We were told that the touch up paint was not yet available. The dealership did not feel there was a defect in the paint. We now have at least 10 small chips in the paint. Is anyone else having this problem?

The chips started two weeks after we bought the car. They started on the hood. Now we are getting them on the driver's side front fender. They started small and are getting bigger.

Dont tailgate! Leave a few car space distance between you and the car in front of you. The closer you get, the more chips you will get. Although, there in inevitable.

We purchases our Soul Red Crystal Metallic CX-5 in June. We believe the paint may be defective. The car has several paint chips in it. At first, we thought we just had the misfortune of getting some stone chips. We contacted the dealership when there were only three paint chips. We were told that the touch up paint was not yet available. The dealership did not feel there was a defect in the paint. We now have at least 10 small chips in the paint. Is anyone else having this problem?
Could you post some pictures. It's rumored on here that Mazda paint is thin, but its going to be impossible to tell if it's truly defective without some pics.

2017-CX-5-Soul-Red-Crystal

Could you post some pictures. It's rumored on here that Mazda paint is thin, but its going to be impossible to tell if it's truly defective without some pics.

I also have this same CX5 with the same paint. Because the special paint cost was an extra $600 I had the 3M clear cover put on for an other $950. This color is so great I just did not want it full of chips.

I also have this same CX5 with the same paint. Because the special paint cost was an extra $600 I had the 3M clear cover put on for an other $950. This color is so great I just did not want it full of chips.

I believe its a 3 stage paint. I have a 17 snowflake pearl mica. I ordered some touch-up through a company called paint touch-up or something. They said if matches. I will find out sooner or later.

I wish there was an alternative to the Xpel, or something cheaper to use. I hate those leather things too.

Oh well, its a car. It can always be repainted I guess!

Thanks Jeff

Don’t tailgate! Leave a few car space distance between you and the car in front of you. The closer you get, the more chips you will get. Although, there in inevitable.

Not necessarily true, (about the chips) while talegateing is bad, yes true sure.. However I do not tailgate I have several chips in my paint as well. I do fell the Mazda paint is to thin or too soft. How many of you got the sales pitch for their clear bra services.. I feel they do this as they know the paint is thin.

My red ‘96 BMW has much fewer chips on it vs. my one year old CX 5..

Sometimes having fewer chips on a previous car doesn't necessarily mean paint is bad on this car. Maybe just so happens on previous car there weren't as much rocks and debris hitting your car compared to now. It's really hard to base it on a previous car, I feel it really depends on the road you're driving on and how dirty it is and so forth, or just luck lol My 2009 black pontiac vibe had so many chips up front it almost always looked dirty. My 2014 mazda 3 which was also white had only 3-5 chips on the front bumper in the 3+ years I've had it. Then on my 2017 cx-5 I've only had it for a few months and already got a couple chips on my hood. I'm pretty sure paint is thin, but I'm not really going to blame it or it really being an "issue" as I feel it's just how lucky or unlucky you are with rocks and stuffs on the road.

Have you spoke with the dealership about your chips and did you get any helpful insight? We spoke with them a few weeks after we purchased the car and again at the first oil change. We will be talking with them again tonorrow as we seem to be getting new chips on a daily basis.

Have you spoke with the dealership about your chips and did you get any helpful insight? We spoke with them a few weeks after we purchased the car and again at the first oil change. We will be talking with them again tonorrow as we seem to be getting new chips on a daily basis.
Talking to your Mazda dealer wont get you to anywhere for your paint issue. You need to contact Cusromer Experience Center at Mazda North American Operations to express your concerns and you may get some resolution from them directly.

i have the same issue with my soul red GT and didn't think much of it but i don't want to have the paint chip more and more while on a lease and have to pay for damages

Softer would presumably make it less brittle and hence less likely to chip.

Correct, maybe bad choice of words, soft; as in not durable... no hard enough to withstand some rocks & knocks...

Last edited:
Not necessarily true, (about the chips) while talegateing is bad, yes true sure.. However I do not tailgate I have several chips in my paint as well. I do fell the Mazda paint is to thin or too soft. How many of you got the sales pitch for their clear bra services.. I feel they do this as they know the paint is thin.

My red 96 BMW has much fewer chips on it vs. my one year old CX 5..

Back in the 90s Japanese manufacturers switched to waterborne low VOC paints that aren't as chip resistant. In the 2000's US manufacturers switched too. IIRC German manufacturers are still using solvent based paints that have more chip resistance - the auto industry there has great sway over government regulation. Of course, if you're in the US and need your car repainted they'll may do it with waterborne due to EPA rules making it difficult to find high VOC paints.

http://www.carwashmag.com/home/arti...portant/50ccc58b06e22de4793695e9e28efd60.html

Yeah. My black CX-5 is riddled with paint chips/marks all over the hood. Just the nature of the beast if you don't put some kind of protection on it.

Nearly two years old, 19,800 miles. Zero chips in paint or windshield. Maybe road conditions in your area???????? Or maybe the white is more durable?????

Some folks are so judgy.
"Don't tailgate!"
Really?
I was on the freeway the other day in a section that was being redone. It had those grooves in the road where they had just stripped the concrete. One lane wasn't grooved yet so I was in that lane for awhile. Move right to the grooved section and there's a semi-truck pretty far in front of me... suddenly I hear *ting ting ting ting ting ting ting* omg.... s*** hitting my car.
I was nowhere near tailgating.
This was just last Friday,
I haven't inspected the hood yet.
I'm afraid to.

Back