3rd model year after just 17 months on market

JPL

:
2018 Mazda6, CX-9
This has to be a record. The 2nd gen CX-9 has been on the market less than 17 months, and the 3rd model year has arrived at dealers. I'm glad Mazda has finally decided to catch up to the proper model year scheduling with at least this model.

That's because they introduced the '16 MY at the time other '17s were coming out. They should have just gone straight to '17 when it came out in spring of '16....

Yes, and sadly it has real affects on your cars value. For both '16 and '17 your car became "last years model" very quickly. 2018 will be the first full model year. People place value on the year that's on the window sticker, just the way it is even if there's no difference between years.

I want to get into a 2018 in about two weeks (I am hoping to find what I want in stock). I totally expect that I can't negotiate all that much off new 2018 arrivals vs 2017's sitting on the lot. While a car loses a lot of value when you drive it off the lot, they also lose value as the calendar changes even when nothing else changes.

I noticed this recently too...I would LOVE to know Mazda's reasoning behind this... (shrug)

Maybe a rule / law / testing (EPA, NHTSA, IIHS, JD POWERS) that was changing and it made it more beneficial to release as a 2016 MY?

I noticed this recently too...I would LOVE to know Mazda's reasoning behind this... (shrug)

Maybe a rule / law / testing (EPA, NHTSA, IIHS, JD POWERS) that was changing and it made it more beneficial to release as a 2016 MY?

I think--and I have nothing to back this up--that the '16 MY was very delayed. But since they kept saying the 2nd Gen CX-9 was coming out for '16, they painted themselves into a corner to call it a '16, even though it didn't come out until Spring of '16, when it really should have just been a '17 by then.

Back