I hate to be that person...

suckmykiss

:
Mazda CX-5 Touring 2014
But... LOL

I just got my first Mazda a few weeks ago. Last car was an older Honda, so needless to say I am in heaven and loving all the perks.

I understand I can use a flash drive to play my music in the car, but what I am not sure about is how to get it there in the proper order. I know a ton of people have used drive sort, but I am a Mac girl so I am not sure where to start. Everything is currently in I-Tunes, so can I just copy my music library to the flash drive? Will it recognize everything as is or do I need to do something special?

Thank you! If there is an answer to this in a prior thread I have missed, I apologize in advance! (wiggle)

That's what I did. 64 gig micro USB drive. From iTunes, copied to the USB. Good to go..

Folders are artist; album, song..

Keep it in shuffle mode...

I would recommend spending a little extra for a higher speed usb drive. Will make downloading and reading quicker.

That's what I did. 64 gig micro USB drive. From iTunes, copied to the USB. Good to go..

My understanding is that the system will only recognize, at max, a 32gb FAT32 formatted USB drive.

My understanding is that the system will only recognize, at max, a 32gb FAT32 formatted USB drive.

With Mine I had to reformat it to the older FAT32 as it did not work the first time I plugged it in the USB port. Then I read about the FAT32 here in the forum and reformatted it, now works great...

My 2016.5 reads a 64 GB Sandisk flash drive. It IS formatted to FAT32. For some reason, it will not read playlists built with Audacious running in Ubuntu. I have not tried Windows.

The owners manual says the touch screen version will play MP3/WMA/AAC/OGG files. Mine will do it from a flash drive or through bluetooth and supposedly run an iPod via USB. I don't have anything Apple, so I can't confirm. You might consider just using your iPod.

Last edited:

I actually tried that before I saw your message! :) Was very pleased how smoothly it was working yesterday. Loaded more music last night and this morning it said USB error when I tried to play it in the car. I'm not sure what happened. It's a new 64GB Patriot Flash Drive, 3.0. It's only about 15 GB full right now. Haven't had a chance to trouble shoot it yet.

Last edited:
I would recommend spending a little extra for a higher speed usb drive. Will make downloading and reading quicker.

Thanks for the thoughts! :) I did buy a new 3.0 one last week, worked great last night, but today I am getting a read error in the car. Not sure what happened!

My 2016.5 reads a 64 GB Sandisk flash drive. It IS formatted to FAT32. For some reason, it will not read playlists built with Audacious running in Ubuntu. I have not tried Windows.

The owners manual says the touch screen version will play MP3/WMA/AAC/OGG files. Mine will do it from a flash drive or through bluetooth and supposedly run an iPod via USB. I don't have anything Apple, so I can't confirm. You might consider just using your iPod.

Ha! If I still had my iPod. LOL Got rid of it years ago. Was thinking about buying an Mp3 player just for this purpose, then noticed the USB option on the Mazda and thought I would go that route instead. Surprisingly easy to just copy it over, I was sure that had to be some sort of organizing tip I needed to follow but it was working great until this morning, now getting a read error. :(

Interesting! Mine is a 64GB and it was recognized and worked right away. Added more music last night and now it's not reading it. Hmmm...

Not sure if it makes a difference ( I'm sure it doesn't ). however I have mine plugged into the upper USB port.

I hope you get your going again.

Not sure if it makes a difference ( I'm sure it doesn't ). however I have mine plugged into the upper USB port.

I hope you get your going again.

Me too! I think my car only has one USB port, but Ill check more closely to see. Im still learning about it. The one Im using is inside the center console storage box.

All righty. I'm befuddled. So, when I first tested out my flash drive it worked just fine. I dragged and dropped a few albums onto it, went out to the car and they played immediately. After that, I added a few more, tested them and so on. When I determined it all seemed to be working smoothly, I loaded about 10 GB of music onto it. When I put it into USB slot in the car, I immediately got an USB error. I tried several different things, renaming files so there were no weird symbols or parenthesis or underscores. Removed music file types that I thought might not be compatible, leaving everything but mp3s.

Each time I made a change I've tested it and am still getting the same USB error. The interesting thing about this is I have been able to access it all along perfectly fine on my computer, so I don't think there is something wrong with the stick. I also don't think the stick is not compatible with the car, because it DID work before I added the additional songs on.

I have finally removed everything from it and added just one album back, all mp3s, to see if there was maybe an issue with one of the songs I had on prior. Still the same error.

I really don't know what to do at this point. I don't want to buy a new stick, when I just bought this one and it is clearly working, but I am confused as to what the disconnect could be. My USB port (I only have 1 :( ) is working, I tested it this morning to charge my phone.

I am using a Patriot Supersonic 3.0 64 GB stick, https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Any and all suggestions are very welcome! Thank you!

Last edited:
Format as FAT32, and did you try changing your cluster size? 4096bytes..?

The cluster size also defines the speed of accessing the files. For large cluster size, files will be less segregated; while for small size a single file is divided in to different clusters. To read a file all the clusters associated with it are assembled. So, bigger the cluster size is; the faster the file is fetched.

I don’t recall what I used, if I can remember to pull the drive out tomorrow I see if I can see what I used. Also do you know your information system version? My version in one older from the most current.

Format as FAT32, and did you try changing your cluster size? 4096bytes..?

The cluster size also defines the speed of accessing the files. For large cluster size, files will be less segregated; while for small size a single file is divided in to different clusters. To read a file all the clusters associated with it are assembled. So, bigger the cluster size is; the faster the file is fetched.

I don’t recall what I used, if I can remember to pull the drive out tomorrow I see if I can see what I used. Also do you know your information system version? My version in one older from the most current.

It does show as being formatted DOS FAT32. I inforuvately dont know anything about cluster size, so I cant say that I did change it. 😂 my car is a 2014, Ive only had it a few weeks so am still learning about it. Is there a way for me to determine how old the info system is?

I do recall coming across a thread at some point talking about updating connect by downloading it onto USB, I have not done that yet.

I guess what Im finding most baffling is that it worked and then suddenly it didnt. Im not sure speed is the issue, especially since it wont even read one album. Im open to any suggestions you might have, though! Id love to get this working again. It was so nice for the hour it did! 😂😂

Google "mazda cx5 usb error" and noodle around in some of those threads; some problems reportedly fixed by replacing USB "harness" in car. One thread reports there was a known issue that car corrupted USB drives. Also, check this thread (https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...back-and-SMS-Bluetooth!!!&highlight=usb+fixed) and confirm you have the upgraded bluetooth module.

Thank you for the link! I am reading through the thread now. I did confirm I do not have the latest software upgrade- it is 06.03.000. I'm trying to determine if this is something I can update myself? My car is still under the 3/36 warranty, but about to expire. My nearest dealership is about an hour away.

did I miss the part where you tried another device/usb stick through the same usb port? I'm sure you have a friend or two that has a stick you can borrow (maybe less than a 3.0) and see if the problem persists. If that owner doesn't mind, copy your songs onto that USB drive and see if it plays.

Does the USB have to be a 3.0? Won't a 2.0 work just fine?

did I miss the part where you tried another device/usb stick through the same usb port? I'm sure you have a friend or two that has a stick you can borrow (maybe less than a 3.0) and see if the problem persists. If that owner doesn't mind, copy your songs onto that USB drive and see if it plays.

Does the USB have to be a 3.0? Won't a 2.0 work just fine?

No, you did not miss that part. Since it worked just fine at first in the car, then suddenly stopped working it doesn't seem like it's the stick. It still works fine in the computer. It does not need to be a 3.0...it just happened to be what I bought a few weeks ago. I'm going to pick up a 2.0 sometime this week, but it does seem weird that it worked totally fine in the car and then randomly stopped working.

I'm trying to determine if this is something I can update myself? My car is still under the 3/36 warranty, but about to expire. My nearest dealership is about an hour away.

No, take it to dealer ASAP to confirm software. Some earlier bluetooth modules cannot be upgraded to latest version and must be physically replaced.

Back