Huge Discount For 2017 Mazda 6

I think that if Mazda wants to benchmark luxury brands like BMW, Mercedes, and Infiniti they need to at least match those brands base power level which is much higher than what you’re going to find on a base Accord or Camry.

Everybody already knows that 85% of people shopping for mid size family sedans end up buying the base powerplant models.
It's always been that way.
The typical Camry/Accord buyer is not looking for a track car. They are looking for an appliance to get them to the grocery store.
The market for an appliance car with a honking engine under the hood is quite small.

Agreed, the Mazda 6 can't compete against the horsepower of say, a Camry V6, if that's what people are shopping for, but again, it's less than 15% of the market. That's what Mazda is missing out on.
Would the 2.5T be nice? Sure it would, but not having it in the 6 is not the main reason why it sells what it sells.

When I was shopping for my Altima replacement, I looked at the new Camry, and also the Avalon, among others.
I was interested in the V6. I like horsepower as much as the next guy.
When I test drove the 6, however, I didn't find myself wanting for more power.
I took a long drive in it, put it through it's paces. It wasn't your typical 5 minute spin around the dealership parking lot.
I found it more than adequate, especially compared to my current 2.5 Altima.

At the end of the day, I put a deposit down on a new Mazda 6 GT.
The car is at the dealership now, getting prepped, waiting for me when I get back.
I'm pretty antsy.

I think the vast majority of people who are going to buy a base Camry or Accord are probably never going to look at Mazda anyway. Mazda should be going after those 15% who want a sedan with more performance. Toyota is probably going to sell about 380,000 Camrys this year. And Honda about 350,000 Accords. 15% of 380,000 is 57,000 cars. That's a large number of potential customers for a small manufacturer like Mazda.

Last edited:
I know my father in law pretty much only buys Accords or Camry. I tried to get him to look at the 6 but he stuck with what he knows.

I think the vast majority of people who are going to buy a base Camry or Accord are probably never going to look at Mazda anyway. Mazda should be going after those 15% who want a sedan with more performance. Toyota is probably going to see about 380,000 Camrys this year. And Honda about 350,000 Accords. 15% of 380,000 is 57,000 cars. That's a large number of potential customers for a small manufacturer like Mazda.

Damn right!

I know my father in law pretty much only buys Accords or Camry. I tried to get him to look at the 6 but he stuck with what he knows.

Same with my mother,only Camrys or Accords (currently an Accord). She now wants a small CUV,and you guessed it,she only will think about a CR-V. It's comical to me,but it is what it is...

Same with my mother,only Camrys or Accords (currently an Accord). She now wants a small CUV,and you guessed it,she only will think about a CR-V. It's comical to me,but it is what it is...

It’s all subjective people. I have a ‘17 CX-5, and have no intention of buying a second one. I’m building a home and want to free up some maintenance and insurance funds. So I’m looking at trading my M4 in for another CUV. I’m pretty certain I’m going to get a loaded CR-V, but I want to wait and see if the HUD in the 18 Accord makes it to the CRV. Otherwise, I’m going to hold on to my M4 for a while longer.

I think the vast majority of people who are going to buy a base Camry or Accord are probably never going to look at Mazda anyway. Mazda should be going after those 15% who want a sedan with more performance. Toyota is probably going to sell about 380,000 Camrys this year. And Honda about 350,000 Accords. 15% of 380,000 is 57,000 cars. That's a large number of potential customers for a small manufacturer like Mazda.

Sad but true. People are creatures of habit, and if they've never looked at or considered a Mazda, then they probably never will.
I have friends and relatives who think this way.
My sister in law has had 2 CR-V's, both of which fell apart as they got older.
She's looking at replacing her POS 2005 CR-V, and guess what? She's buying another one.
She's not even looking at, or considering, anything else.
Doesn't matter that her current ride has broken down every two weeks. Tunnel vision.
Another family friend is the same way, only with Volvo's.
He's in his 70's now, and has driven nothing but Volvo's for 40 years.
You might as well be talking to a brick wall with this guy when it comes to cars.
Good or bad, he'll never stray from his Volvo's.
I could go on with other examples, but I think we all know people like this.
Personally, I've been lucky in that I have had the opportunity to drive a lot of different vehicles due to the fact that the company I worked for had fleet vehicles.
It opened my eyes early, and I have not been stuck with false loyalty to one brand.
Renting a lot of cars also helps open the eyes.
Oh well. It is what it is.
Cheers.

My father in law was like that with Buicks.
You could not convince him to look beyond it.
Drove nothing but Buicks 'til the day he died. Bless his soul.

Sad but true. People are creatures of habit, and if they've never looked at or considered a Mazda, then they probably never will.
I have friends and relatives who think this way.
My sister in law has had 2 CR-V's, both of which fell apart as they got older.
She's looking at replacing her POS 2005 CR-V, and guess what? She's buying another one.
She's not even looking at, or considering, anything else.
Doesn't matter that her current ride has broken down every two weeks. Tunnel vision.
Another family friend is the same way, only with Volvo's.
He's in his 70's now, and has driven nothing but Volvo's for 40 years.
You might as well be talking to a brick wall with this guy when it comes to cars.
Good or bad, he'll never stray from his Volvo's.
I could go on with other examples, but I think we all know people like this.
Personally, I've been lucky in that I have had the opportunity to drive a lot of different vehicles due to the fact that the company I worked for had fleet vehicles.
It opened my eyes early, and I have not been stuck with false loyalty to one brand.
Renting a lot of cars also helps open the eyes.
Oh well. It is what it is.
Cheers.

I swear this ^^^ describes like 80% of the public (rlaugh)

Yea I’m always looking at what everyone is doing. I do have my brands I’m partial to but definitely not blindly loyal.

Not even discounts is helping the 6. Only 2125 were sold in October. True sedan sales are down, but Toyota redesigns an ugly Camry and they sell 26,000 of them. I don’t get how anyone would by this ugly thing with a 5 blade razor looking front end. Even Motor Trend said the new Accord was a better quality car. The doors on the Camry shut like tin cans and the interior was cheap. Speaking of the interior the wave waterfall design is horrible, but who cares, slap a Camry badge on it and anyone will buy!

Toyota and Honda are getting sales through their brand image and reputation. This is something Mazda still needs to work on and will take years and years to develop. As mentioned, older folks won't even consider other brands. So Mazda has to make an impact with the younger generation (like they did with me) and work on maintaining good brand image as those people get older.

Toyota and Honda are getting sales through their brand image and reputation. This is something Mazda still needs to work on and will take years and years to develop. As mentioned, older folks won't even consider other brands. So Mazda has to make an impact with the younger generation (like they did with me) and work on maintaining good brand image as those people get older.

Mazda has been in the country almost 50 years(longer than Honda), how much more time do they need to develop 'brand' and 'image'? How is it that a smaller company like Subaru who entered the market around the same time as Mazda is ranked #2(out of every automotive company) in customer retention/loyalty? This whole notion of blaming 'ignorant consumers' instead of the company itself is hilarious. They can't even add something simple like CarPlay/AA to their vehicles, meanwhile you can find it in Kia's, big rig trucks and motorcycles now and people wonder why everything outside of the CX-5 doesn't sell.

Toyota and Honda have decades of strong reliability. Go google Toyota/Honda mile high club and see how many vehicles you find with well over 400k miles, some even passing over 1 million.

Mazda has been in the country almost 50 years(longer than Honda), how much more time do they need to develop 'brand' and 'image'? How is it that a smaller company like Subaru who entered the market around the same time as Mazda is ranked #2(out of every automotive company) in customer retention/loyalty? This whole notion of blaming 'ignorant consumers' instead of the company itself is hilarious. They can't even add something simple like CarPlay/AA to their vehicles, meanwhile you can find it in Kia's, big rig trucks and motorcycles now and people wonder why everything outside of the CX-5 doesn't sell.

Toyota and Honda have decades of strong reliability. Go google Toyota/Honda mile high club and see how many vehicles you find with well over 400k miles, some even passing over 1 million.
I knew I would have regretted clicking "view post" but alas here I am and I have a reply. I don't know what the Mazda brand image/reputation was like before they stopped selling the RX-7 or before they finally ended their partnership with Ford. I only know of the recent Mazda, my first car being a 2010 Mazda3. That car was fun to drive, reliable and got decent gas mileage. That was my first introduction to Mazda ownership. If you ask me what I think of Mazda, I will tell you they make fun to drive cars that are generally reliable and get decent gas mileage. However ask someone else that question and they will tell you that Mazdas have rust issues and unreliable engines. That's what my wife's friends thought about regarding Mazda, but that is an outdated view/opinion regarding Mazda. That is the brand image/reputation that they need to fix. I do not care what their brand image/reputation was 20 or 30 or 40 years ago. It doesn't matter when they first came into business, what matters is what people think of the brand right now, because right now is when people decide whether to buy a Mazda or not.

I wouldn't go so far as saying "ignorant" consumers, but I will say they just didn't know there are equally good or better alternatives out there. All those consumers who are defaulting to buying Hondas or Toyotas without even looking at other brands, just don't know that there are equally good alternatives out there.

As far as not adding Carplay or Android Auto, that is not a brand image/reputation problem. Or are you saying that Mazda has this brand image of not having Carplay/AA? That sounds ridiculous. They do not have that feature in their cars, that doesn't make it a brand image/reputation issue. By the way, if I'm not mistaken, Toyota also doesn't have Carplay and that doesn't stop people from buying Toyotas, because obviously not having Carplay/AA is not a brand image/reputation issue.

And dude, who cares if Kia has Carplay/AA? That doesn't elevate their brand image/reputation above what I already know to be Kia.

Toyota and Honda went a different route and at the same time created THE blueprint for imports to be successful in the US.

Mazda is essentially trying to mirror what Subaru (and Kia) did as both are smaller companies (well not Kia) but at the same time keep its heritage. Subaru tapped into an AWD market and developed a good relationship with the public. Kia had a much worse rep...Ford Pinto levels rep and now they're selling a lot by creating a niche itself with long warranties and long list of features.

Mazda can't use Honda, Toyota, or Kia's blueprint because of its small size and narrower product type. I mean there's tons of folks who literally do not read car mags at all....go to a Honda/Toyota dealership and buy a car based on rep. Can't knockHonda/Toyota as they built that force themselves. Mazda can mirror Subaru's blueprint though. Subaru has crossed over to the mainstream though....something Mazda wants to do in the next 5 years. 1st step is to build higher quality cars imo. 2nd step is to create a product that you can do better then the competition can. Where Mazda failed for those 50 or so years they're trying to turn around since 2013....a mere 4 years ago. No other car company that small has done what they did in the cut throat US market. That said, no other small car company dominates in other countries like in Australia.

I wouldn't go so far as saying "ignorant" consumers, but I will say they just didn't know there are equally good or better alternatives out there. All those consumers who are defaulting to buying Hondas or Toyotas without even looking at other brands, just don't know that there are equally good alternatives out there.

One can make an argument that there are good or better alternatives out there, but if you're speaking about Mazda specifically, their vehicles offer no significant advantage over Toyota or Honda in pricing, features, power or reliability so why bother? People will just go with what a vehicle which they know will give them many years of reliability and not take a gamble.

One can make an argument that there are good or better alternatives out there, but if you're speaking about Mazda specifically, their vehicles offer no significant advantage over Toyota or Honda in pricing, features, power or reliability so why bother?

That's just your opinion man. Everyone is entitled to one. Doesn't mean that other consumers shouldn't give other brands a try just because of someone's opinion on a brand.

People will just go with what a vehicle which they know will give them many years of reliability and not take a gamble.
And that's exactly what people in here mean by Honda and Toyota selling vehicles by virtue of their brand image and reputation (in this case, reputation for reliability).

Back