Broken glove box.

Jfunk

:
02 protege5 5spd- wrecked rip. 03 protege5 5spd (parts)
Hey guys, got another question to ask you all. The other day I was trying to open up my glove box and it wouldnt open. It feels like the handle isn't pulling anything. So I've come to a conclusion that the locking mechanism is history. Luckily, I have the spare part from my parts car. The only problem is I don't know how to pop the broken one open. My registration is in there so I kinda need the thing to work. Any suggestions on getting the damn thing to open up?

Make sure it isn't locked.
Try putting the key in the lock and fiddle with it while fiddling with the latch at the same time.

Screenshot_2017-09-29-08-45-05.png

Last edited:
So I tried to mess with the lock and nothing happened. Does anybody know if you can stick a pin or something in a certain spot to pop it open?

You might have to cut the glovebox door apart to get it off.
I don't know of any tricks,... I've never heard of this before.

You already have an extra one from your parts car?

I'd use a flat tip screwdriver and a hammer on the handle. Bust that joker open from there. Better than going around the edges where you run into better chance of tearing up the dashboard around the glove compartment.

Yeah I'm ready to crowbar that thing open at this point. Frustrating.

You might have to cut the glovebox door apart to get it off.
I don't know of any tricks,... I've never heard of this before.
Well, i have had to cut mine off. Its a pain as it has a rather large metal plate right behind the handle. Your best bet would be to pop the hinge from the bottom and unscrewing the hook the handle engages on.

I have yet to put the new one on. Half ass thinking I would just plate the hole as my glove box seems to just hold old vinger and ketchup packets.

Back