2012 Mazda 5 Transmission fluid . Simple question

Two one-gallon jugs should be enough for the flush/fill job? They have the Valvoline MaxLife[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]DEX/MERC ATF at my local AutoZone for $18 each.

yep thats good. I would read the original post of this thread, I am pretty sure that is the best way to get the most dirty fluid out as possible (otherwise you will only get half the fluid out)

if you are under 60k miles, don't bother changing the fluid yet.

I'm curious, where are these reviews (do not doubt Redline, just want to make sure we are taking apples)? Isn't GL4 for manual transmissions? The OP never mentioned if he has an ATX or MTX (auto vs manuals use VERY different fluids) but since he questioned Mercon V or Mazda M-5, I'd assume we are talking auto... For the Mazda 5 (all years), Mercon V only goes into your power steering.

Ford owns Mazda (back then). Mazda M-5 is repacked Ford FRN5. See below that the chemical properties of Mercon V is completely different from Ford FRN5 (aka Mazda M-5).
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...-on-the-Mz5!&p=6341208&viewfull=1#post6341208

Technically, an oil is an oil is an oil. It lubs, protects, keeps temp down, cleans. The difference is some work better (flows better are lower temp, don't get burnt as easily in higher temp, coast/sticks better, has more detergent to stay clean, etc.). You can use most any oil of the same weight in the short term if doing frequent changes. It just might now shift as smoothly/quickly as it could/should and bring on added wear in the long term.

Silent,

He mentioned the dark fluid, which when paired with Mercon, meeans he MOST LIKELY read the dipstick, which the MTX doesn't have. I'm surprised, as you are generally really good reading btw the lines.

Silent,

He mentioned the dark fluid, which when paired with Mercon, meeans he MOST LIKELY read the dipstick, which the MTX doesn't have. I'm surprised, as you are generally really good reading btw the lines.

easy there, he isn't a robot. to be fair, OP made it really confusing as to which transmission this guy has.

I do agree with Silent, that any good quality transmission fluid will do and something like redline or pentosonin will certainly be better quality then Mazda's cheap, budget oriented OEM equipment.

Silent,

I guess we are both surprised! It was a rhetorical question.

Last edited:
I use Mag 1 62555 Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid for my 2012 Mazda5. It is recommended for Mazda's requiring ATF M-III, MV, and T-IV, see: https://mag1.com/products/transmiss...l-synthetic-multi-vehicle-transmission-fluid/.

At $7/quart it is also a great value and half the price of OEM Genuine Mazda ATF Type M5 0000-77-112E-01 Transmission Fluid (not full synthetic) and Red Line D4 which is also an excellent full synthetic ATF for Mazda's requiring Type MV ATF, see: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned).

Back