2012 Mazda 5 Transmission fluid . Simple question

:
Mazda 5 sport & Mazda 3i
Ive seen the question asked many times, and there have been SOOO Many long responses about how often, and if Mercon 5 is the same as M5 etc etc etc
There has been no real clear answer on the other threads...

I have 113k miles on my 2012 Mazda 5 sport 2.5

The tranny fluid appears dark, so I am going to change it. but I really need to know what type (preferably one that is available in the local stores)

I plan to:
Drain the fluid
Disconnect the hose from the cooler, catch anything that comes from there.
Fill the tranny
With a hose from the cooler to the bottle, start the car and put it in gear.
when it has pumped out 2.5 quarts, Ill stop and shut it off.
Fill the tranny
Repead steps, but in reverse.
Drain tranny again
drop pan.
change filter
replace gasket
reinstall pan, fill one last time.

Does this all sound good?
I NEED TO KNOW THE FLUID TYPE THOUGH.......PLEASE!!!!

any advise would be so appreciated.
Also, should I expect the same process would be ok for my 2006 Mazda 3i ? 2.0 ??????

gl4 fluid. This is the best stuff for your trans right here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

don't forget to add some of this stuff in there as well:

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod.../manual-synchromesh-transmission-fluid-5w-30/

PLEASE MOLESTOR STOP THE BAD ADVICE!!!

Do not follow this advice listed above! It is WRONG! It is not designed for this transmission and will cause damage.

Mercon V is NOT the same as M5 either. Here is a MAZDA TSB that details the differences between the 2 types.https://i.gyazo.com/90eb73bf993916f1493b9ee625bbf046.png

Here is what is recommended for your car by Mazda. If you are going to use another brand, just make sure it meets or exceeds the specs for M5.

Type M5
064991A.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Thank you so much
So M5 is the standard. Meet or exceed that standard, I should be good.

thanks again!

I strongly recommend you look through the reviews of this Redline oil. 9% of reviewers gave it less then 5 star.. all of them say how the transmission loved it and there are PLENTY of Mazda owners using it. It is the correct fluid type (GL4) and it will NOT cause any damage considering that plenty of people have already done it before and all say great things about it.

The synchromesh fluid will protect the internals of your transmission (gears, bearings) while improving cold/hot weather operation and making your transmission feel noticeably smoother.

Using high quality fluids like this will properly rejuvenate your transmission and result in much better results then simply your average OEM fluid.

I strongly recommend you look through the reviews of this Redline oil. 9% of reviewers gave it less then 5 star.. all of them say how the transmission loved it and there are PLENTY of Mazda owners using it. It is the correct fluid type (GL4) and it will NOT cause any damage considering that plenty of people have already done it before and all say great things about it.

The synchromesh fluid will protect the internals of your transmission (gears, bearings) while improving cold/hot weather operation and making your transmission feel noticeably smoother.

Using high quality fluids like this will properly rejuvenate your transmission and result in much better results then simply your average OEM fluid.
I'm curious, where are these reviews (do not doubt Redline, just want to make sure we are taking apples)? Isn't GL4 for manual transmissions? The OP never mentioned if he has an ATX or MTX (auto vs manuals use VERY different fluids) but since he questioned Mercon V or Mazda M-5, I'd assume we are talking auto... For the Mazda 5 (all years), Mercon V only goes into your power steering.

Ford owns Mazda (back then). Mazda M-5 is repacked Ford FRN5. See below that the chemical properties of Mercon V is completely different from Ford FRN5 (aka Mazda M-5).
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...-on-the-Mz5!&p=6341208&viewfull=1#post6341208

Technically, an oil is an oil is an oil. It lubs, protects, keeps temp down, cleans. The difference is some work better (flows better are lower temp, don't get burnt as easily in higher temp, coast/sticks better, has more detergent to stay clean, etc.). You can use most any oil of the same weight in the short term if doing frequent changes. It just might now shift as smoothly/quickly as it could/should and bring on added wear in the long term.

Last edited:

MOLESTOR, your recommendation would destroy the original posters automatic transmission quickly and cause a large repair bill.

REDLINE MT-90 Is a GEAR OIL (GL4), it is NOT a hydraulic fluid or ATF.

Last edited:
I'm curious, where are these reviews (do not doubt Redline, just want to make sure we are taking apples)? Isn't GL4 for manual transmissions? The OP never mentioned if he has an ATX or MTX (auto vs manuals use VERY different fluids) but since he questioned Mercon V or Mazda M-5, I'd assume we are talking auto... For the Mazda 5 (all years), Mercon V only goes into your power steering.

Ford owns Mazda (back then). Mazda M-5 is repacked Ford FRN5. See below that the chemical properties of Mercon V is completely different from Ford FRN5 (aka Mazda M-5).
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...-on-the-Mz5!&p=6341208&viewfull=1#post6341208

Technically, an oil is an oil is an oil. It lubs, protects, keeps temp down, cleans. The difference is some work better (flows better are lower temp, don't get burnt as easily in higher temp, coast/sticks better, has more detergent to stay clean, etc.). You can use most any oil of the same weight in the short term if doing frequent changes. It just might now shift as smoothly/quickly as it could/should and bring on added wear in the long term.

No no, I was under the impression this whole time the OP has a manual transmission, I dont know why...

If pentosonin makes ATF fluid for your transmission, I would choose that.

That is what I have used on my 2012 Mazda5 AT. I have done the change once at 50k miles. Planning on doing it again in the spring at 90K miles.

I use Valvoline Maxlife. It's M5 compatible and you can buy it at any auto parts store, even Walmart or Meijer.

There are lots of ATF choices for the 5 available through large chains in the States. Here are some of the examples: Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic ATF (red bottle), Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF (blue bottle), Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle ATF, Castrol Transmax Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF. Of course, there are also Mazda OEM and Ford/Motorcraft OEM fluids that meet the "type M5" spec but they are harder to find if no dealers are around and cost more.

As to Red Line... not sure what its distribution channels are but the right product is Redline D4 ATF which should work very well in the 5.

So was there ever a consensus as to change out the ATF fluid or not? Mazda doesn't state to do it unless issues arise, but it seems that most members' sentiment is to do it because it won't hurt to do it, and fluid seems dirty for those who have checked it.

Our '09 MZ5 AT is at 40K miles and fluid looks decent to me and is at proper level. The procedure seems easy enough and not too costly, but I don't know if this is a case of if it ain't broke, don't fix it, or do it to be safe.

So was there ever a consensus as to change out the ATF fluid or not? Mazda doesn't state to do it unless issues arise, but it seems that most members' sentiment is to do it because it won't hurt to do it, and fluid seems dirty for those who have checked it.

Our '09 MZ5 AT is at 40K miles and fluid looks decent to me and is at proper level. The procedure seems easy enough and not too costly, but I don't know if this is a case of if it ain't broke, don't fix it, or do it to be safe.

Transmission fluid wears just like engine oil (albeit at a slower pace) and should be replaced when dirty along with he filter. Id say every 60-80k

There are a lot of variables at play here, and not just miles. I would prefer to examine the fluid more carefully to make the determination. Although I never got a formal oil analysis done, my personal experience with my 06' Mazda5, my parents 08' Mazda5, and others on this forum seemed to suggest that ~50k miles was appropriate.

With the Mazda5, I would pull the transmission dipstick after the vehicle had been warmed up and recently driven. Using a nice white piece of paper, I would drip some of the warm ATF from the dipstick onto the paper. Once the old ATF fluid soaks into the white paper a bit, you can examine the color of the fluid by looking at the oil stain on the paper. The solids will remain on the surface of the paper. This will show you the dirt, the fibers from the clutch pack, and the metal shavings that were suspended in the ATF, will appear as very fine glitter on the paper. You can also use your nose, and smell the old ATF to see if it has a burnt odor.

Last edited:

The only reason Mazda doesn't recommend it in the manual is that the factory fluid will last through the warranty period. As a bonus they can advertise the car as having lower maintenance costs. They don't care if the transmission conks out for the 1st owner at 150K miles or the 2nd owner at 200K, it's just an opportunity to sell a transmission replacement. A lot of cars take this a step further by removing the drain plug and/or dip stick for the transmission.

Drain and fill the transmission fluid every now and then and it should be pretty reliable.

There are a lot of variables at play here, and not just miles. I would prefer to examine the fluid more carefully to make the determination. Although I never got a formal oil analysis done, my personal experience with my 06' Mazda5, my parents 08' Mazda5, and others on this forum seemed to suggest that ~50k miles was appropriate.

With the Mazda5, I would pull the transmission dipstick after the vehicle had been warmed up and recently driven. Using a nice white piece of paper, I would drip some of the warm ATF from the dipstick onto the paper. Once the old ATF fluid soaks into the white paper a bit, you can examine the color of the fluid by looking at the oil stain on the paper. The solids will remain on the surface of the paper. This will show you the dirt, the fibers from the clutch pack, and the metal shavings that were suspended in the ATF, will appear as very fine glitter on the paper. You can also use your nose, and smell the old ATF to see if it has a burnt odor.

For my BMW ZF transmission at least, the manual says that if your fluid smell burnt and there are metal shavings at the bottom of the oil pan (whatever the magnetic filter couldnt catch) then your transmission is damaged.

generally you just want your ATF to look clean. If its a dark red or brown then it should be changed. The fluid is good for 60k miles depending on driving conditions.

There are these little transmission magnets you can find to put at the bottom of your oil pan which can be helpful to catch any excess pieces of metal as well.

Two one-gallon jugs should be enough for the flush/fill job? They have the Valvoline MaxLife[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]DEX/MERC ATF at my local AutoZone for $18 each.

Back