Moving from Honda to a Mazda 5 minivan?

Considering buying Mazda 5 2010 model has about 90k - is this a good investment - might go interstate on it up to 1k miles round trip.

Did exactly the same thing, a 2009 with about 90k two or so years back. We've put on about 35K so far, and never regretted it. Daily driver plus multiple long trips; longest was about 2500 miles. It drives very nicely, well-mannered like a Honda, but MUCH more fun to drive and felt a lot more stable compared with a brand new CR-V we tried at the dealer before going with the Mazda . Wife loves it too; about the same footprint as a Mazda 3, very easy to park.

How long this engine could last if u maintain well? What are common issues on engine or other stuff? How durable are the trannys? Any other tips? Should I buy a Mazda 5 - what exceptions should I change coming from Honda?

I'm not even thinking about the engine. I change fluids and it just keeps running smoothly. What I've decided while hanging out here is that the transmission fluid should be changed regularly. I've done one and plan to repeat about every two years. You'll find the suspension wears out more than it should; it gets noisy. That being said, we drove it for two years before getting around to fixing it. Tires will wear unevenly if the suspension is not aligned properly; not sure why this is common on this car.

Never had a Mazda I have a 2014 5 I have been to Colorado from Florida and 1497 miles and California from Florida thats 2174 miles one way for both and several trips to Nashville I have 33,000 on mine they do awesome on long trips I ve gone as much as 115 mph for long periods of time no transmission problems I averaged 25 miles per gallon , they handle great at any speed I dont know about a 2010 my niece has one with 150,000 plus same year as yours mine is a 2.5 engine does Good I ve changed to aftermarket rim on mine 7 1/2 wise instead of factory 6 and put 1200 watt amp and sub woofer and infinity Kappa 6x8 (682-11) and jbl 1 tweeters in it and sound deadened thru out to cut out noise and its not a nosy car I am just used to spending time in my car with low outside noise , I plan on this car lasting at minimum 10 years then give to granddaughter for her first car ??? , I believe if the preventive maintenance was kept up it will be a great investment !! But test drive and check everything out and that should tell you if you want it !! I love mine pray fully you will too !!

Considering buying Mazda 5 2010 model has about 90k - is this a good investment - might go interstate on it up to 1k miles round trip.

How long this engine could last if u maintain well? What are common issues on engine or other stuff?

How durable are the trannys? Any other tips? Should I buy a Mazda 5 - what exceptions should I change coming from Honda?

I saw a lot of fomoco stamps on parts under my car. It's a ford. Which explains the problems.

You guys are fucken ridiculously naive. Mazda designed all the important stuff like chassis and engine while ford built all the little bits like dipstick etc hence which is why you see ford stamps all over the place.

The engine, chassis, transmission and basically the rest of the car is just about as Mazda as it gets.

Transmission is a weaker point than the rest of the powertrain, but if you drain and fill it on a regular basis it'll last longer.
Suspension is a weak point. Why? It's overtaxed. It uses basically the same parts as a regular Mazda 3 but is larger and heavier, and frequently carries more weight. The parts are cheap and easy to replace but be aware.
Engine? It's the MZR/Duratec. Maintain it and it's fine.

Parts are cheap. It's an inexpensive car with low running costs.

You guys are fucken ridiculously naive. Mazda designed all the important stuff like chassis and engine while ford built all the little bits like dipstick etc hence which is why you see ford stamps all over the place.

The engine, chassis, transmission and basically the rest of the car is just about as Mazda as it gets.

Why are you backwards on everything? You constantly argue that the CX-5 is a Ford/Mazda design when the facts Cleary show that the CX-5 is exclusively a Mazda design from the ground up, and yet you come over to the 5 forum and argue with 5 owners who have personal experience working on their 5's for years now that is mostly a Mazda design and not really a Ford/Mazda design...educate yourself...the Ford C Max is an altered Mazda 5. I owned and worked on one for over 5 years, the 5 is a Ford/Mazda design, Fords hands are all over the 5 platform, and there are many articles on the internet floating around from 06 when the 5 came out that talk about the Ford/Mazda design.

Why are you backwards on everything? You constantly argue that the CX-5 is a Ford/Mazda design when the facts Cleary show that the CX-5 is exclusively a Mazda design from the ground up, and yet you come over to the 5 forum and argue with 5 owners who have personal experience working on their 5's for years now that is mostly a Mazda design and not really a Ford/Mazda design...educate yourself...the Ford C Max is an altered Mazda 5. I owned and worked on one for over 5 years, the 5 is a Ford/Mazda design, Fords hands are all over the 5 platform, and there are many articles on the internet floating around from 06 when the 5 came out that talk about the Ford/Mazda design.

I'm sorry, what? when have I ever argued that Mazdas are a ford? that is not true at all. in fact, it's the other way around, so I am very confused as to what I said that makes you believe otherwise.

Fix it for you ;) Agree regarding CVTs but in theory it should be superior and hopeful it will get there -someday

Mazda was able to prove that they could make a conventional 6 speed auto which at least matches or even bests the efficiency of a CVT, without any of the performance disadvantages and I hope that their partnership with toyota keeps it the same way.

while our Mazda's fit/finish is impeccably detailed and the car has been very reliable with about 85k KM on the clock, others have not been so lucky with all sorts of little problems. hopefully toyota will help with Mazda's quality control. it's already better then most other car makers anyway.

Back