Struts blown at 85,000 miles ?

Here's a pic to show what I'm talking about.

One thing I did noticed was the total strut length on both of the bilstein's was longer too. Like almost 3 inches longer! I initially thought maybe my original struts had lost some of the length due to age (118,000 miles). I checked the ride height of my sisters car (same year and model and age, different tires and only 55,000 miles). Measure from ground to the bottom of the front bumper, her's was 8.5 inches. Mine is almost 9.75 inches. So definitely higher. I slid my low profile jack under and it definitely has more room.

I can't recall how far the original strut was in the knuckle but pretty sure it wasn't all the way in since there was some rust at the bottom of the knuckle and I sanded it to hopefully have it slide in easier (I did not sand enough). I stuck my finger in the bottom of knuckle (approx 1 inch) and it seems the bilstein was at approx the same depth into the knuckle as my original.

Hopefully you haven't put on your winter tires yet and can take a gander at the strut and post back ;)

Edit: attachment should work now

I will see the car on Wednesday (it is sitting in airport parking lot), and I can report back then.

Winter tires? I live in 72F year round weather. It runs super sticky 225 width rubber.

I will see the car on Wednesday (it is sitting in airport parking lot), and I can report back then.

Winter tires? I live in 72F year round weather. It runs super sticky 225 width rubber.

Lucky! Man to have 72F all year round!
Appreciate the assist. If you could also measure the ride height as well, that would be awesome. I'm going to contact Bilstein as well to see what they say.

Lucky! Man to have 72F all year round!
Appreciate the assist. If you could also measure the ride height as well, that would be awesome. I'm going to contact Bilstein as well to see what they say.
Ride Height hasn't changed. I measured before and after, so I know that 100%.

I was just in Vancouver for a week, could have helped you install them! Don't know how you guys live in the rain. It rains 8 days a year, and we don't go out, in fear we get rain drops on our car.

Ride Height hasn't changed. I measured before and after, so I know that 100%.

I was just in Vancouver for a week, could have helped you install them! Don't know how you guys live in the rain. It rains 8 days a year, and we don't go out, in fear we get rain drops on our car.

It took me just over 10 hours over 2 days to figure this all out. At least I know how now. I am a real novice! If you were here I would have spent the free 6+ hours you would have saved me and took you around town and hit up the local breweries! The rain is not so bad. There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes. You only get wet hoping brewery to brewery! Thanks for all your posts. Its what finally made me do mine.

I contacted Bilstein and they were prompt to answer my email. They said the following:

"Before disassembly we do always recommend to take some measurements from the bottom of the spring seat to the top of the steering knuckle. This will provide an accurate measurement for reference for reassembly for the new shock. The shock should be installed into the knuckle far enough that the tab should stop before it comes into contact with the knuckle pinch bolt."

I missed seeing the tab! I also did buy one of those knuckle spreaders just to make it easier on myself. Glad I got one before I did the job. I had to stick three pennies to try and get it to spreader wider. I went one penny at a time and the third one did the trick and the strut slid into place (I had a jack under it to put some weight on it.

Glad I corrected it and the ride height is now .75 inch less with the strut deeper into the knuckle. The rubbing is unfortunately still there. Its probably the moog end links. I'll have to think what else I can do (aside from switching out the end links).

here's the actual knuckle spreader from raceland. Its pretty good quality. The spreader did not deform at all. Will come in handy for doing my sister's car.
https://raceland.com/mazda-coilovers/mazda3-2004-2009/mazda-strut-spreader.html

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
If you were here I would have spent the free 6+ hours you would have saved me and took you around town and hit up the local breweries! The rain is not so bad. There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes. You only get wet hoping brewery to brewery! Thanks for all your posts. Its what finally made me do mine.

I contacted Bilstein and they were prompt to answer my email. They said the following:

"Before disassembly we do always recommend to take some measurements from the bottom of the spring seat to the top of the steering knuckle. This will provide an accurate measurement for reference for reassembly for the new shock. The shock should be installed into the knuckle far enough that the tab should stop before it comes into contact with the knuckle pinch bolt."

I missed seeing the tab! I also did buy one of those knuckle spreaders just to make it easier on myself. Glad I got one before I did the job. I had to stick three pennies to try and get it to spreader wider. I went one penny at a time and the third one did the trick and the strut slid into place (I had a jack under it to put some weight on it.

Glad I corrected it and the ride height is now .75 inch less with the strut deeper into the knuckle. The rubbing is unfortunately still there. Its probably the moog end links. I'll have to think what else I can do (aside from switching out the end links).

here's the actual knuckle spreader from raceland. Its pretty good quality. The spreader did not deform at all. Will come in handy for doing my sister's car.
https://raceland.com/mazda-coilovers/mazda3-2004-2009/mazda-strut-spreader.html
Will have to look you up next time

We stayed at Robson at the Westin. Had a great time Japanese tapas bar hopping and Victoria and going up north a bit. Spent a week up there

Loved all the Toyota century, mitsu delica, and other Toyota master ace vans

Glad you got it sorted

Back