Struts blown at 85,000 miles ?

Appreciate it

I will check the engine mounts this weekend

Strut mounts are you doing oem again ?

Mine is 6.5 years old now

Any chance your friend is willing to share this well kept secrete?

I sent him email, and text, and haven't heard back yet (nervous)

I checked his SN name on this forum,a nd looks like he hasn't posted in about 1 year. He could be on assignment from Motor Trend/Car and Driver away.

One by passenger looks fine

COuldnt find the one by exhaust

One under battery looks fine

3 mounts. The easiest is the #3 passenger side. Lift hood, look by the belts for the odd looking object holding up the engine. Bolts on the top side of the frame and side of the block. The part holding the block should be centered inside the part mounted to the frame. If it looks low or if there is cracked rubber or discolored rubber from fluid leakage, it has failed. If your car vibrates or makes knocking noises at weird times, start by examining the mounts, esp this one. The next one supports the trans at the back below the exhaust. Not sure what it looks like when its bad. The last one is under the battery. Just about every piece of plastic has to come out to get to it...and the ECU pod as well. Not kidding - I felt like Mary Poppins and the engine bay was her bag! Stuff just kept coming out and out and out! When diagnosing engine mounts, again thing is vibrations. All 3 of mine had failed by 70K/8 years. I only knew b/c of vibes. Different areas, sometime felt like a CV, sometimes under the body, sometimes felt like a control arm or swaybar. Again, vibes or knocking. That's the big clue.
Dont forget those strut mounts in the strut towers in the engine bay. As I already said, I thought mine were good, but 10K later, one was bad. I will have to tear it all apart to replace it. Probably gonna live with it until the KYB GR2 fails and it has to come out anyway. Don't be me.

I got whatever was affordable but not "cheap" on Rockauto. The rear mount <I think> goes from the trans near the flywheel to the subframe. I haven't looked up underneath for awhile but after I had the dealer do it, I looked up under there and was kicking myself for letting myself pay far too much for something I could have done.

I got whatever was affordable but not "cheap" on Rockauto. The rear mount <I think> goes from the trans near the flywheel to the subframe. I haven't looked up underneath for awhile but after I had the dealer do it, I looked up under there and was kicking myself for letting myself pay far too much for something I could have done.

Ok MOOG was $32 and $38 was Sachs. Thanks.

I will go under the car this weekend and look. Thanks again.

41F76795-3AD9-40CA-9343-7CA1F5F95093.jpegThanks

Front ones and pads just came

Last edited:
Nice. I believe you are the first posted B4 user on the Mz5. Can you do something for the greater good (and yourself too)? Take some basic measurement of 1) total length uncompressed and 2) push position down all the way and measure length again (the difference will give you piston travel). It helps to turn it upside down to compress it bc you have more leverage against the base instead piston tip/mount. Thanks in advance.

Are B4 no good ?

I will install on the 18th weekend so I still have some time

Others must be installing it as a bunch of site keeps running out of the left front shock

I had to order it from somewhere else

I will try to get measurement as you asked mid next week

Are B4 no good ?

I will install on the 18th weekend so I still have some time

Others must be installing it as a bunch of site keeps running out of the left front shock

I had to order it from somewhere else

I will try to get measurement as you asked mid next week
Interesting how you came to that conclusion. But the reason is they never offered the B4 (or anything) for the Mz5 till some point within this year. IIRC, their air suspension is built on the base of B4.

I can't tell from the pic but does it have country of origin/mfg? I faintly see 'Germany' but not sure if that's a generic reference to their HQ or mfg. Nonetheless, that look like it is well built. Finishing look nice and the welds are clean. I will be 2nd online to get these when I'm ready to replace mine.

Last edited:
Oh I must have read your post wrong

I thought you were suggesting b4 is no good

Says made in Germany

Rear shocks are here today

Attachments

• DF008A40-AB98-459E-A57A-051BA630BE77.jpeg
    DF008A40-AB98-459E-A57A-051BA630BE77.jpeg
    432.9 KB · Views: 190

Latest posts

Back