CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 91 to 97 of 97

Thread: Struts blown at 85,000 miles ?

  1. #91
    2012 CR Mazda5 Touring 90210's Avatar

    2012 Mazda5 Touring

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,190
    Well 3 months of clunk has finally been solved

    Do not get rear bilstein for this car

    I installed new rear shock mounts today
    Clunk was there
    I added washers clunk was there

    I decided to swap the rear shocks out again and went KYB, Walah clunk gone

    DO NOT BUY REAR BILSTEIN FOR 2012+ MAZDA5

  2. #92
    Booga Booga? phunky.buddha's Avatar

    2009 Mazda5 Sport

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    DFW Metro, TX
    Posts
    1,503
    Probably had a defective shock- happens sometimes, regardless of the quality of the brand. I still trust Bilsteins overall. I would send it back for a refund since you've swapped to another brand. Both KYB and Bilstein are quality OEM level brands.

  3. #93
    2012 CR Mazda5 Touring 90210's Avatar

    2012 Mazda5 Touring

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,190
    Quote Originally Posted by phunky.buddha View Post
    Probably had a defective shock- happens sometimes, regardless of the quality of the brand. I still trust Bilsteins overall. I would send it back for a refund since you've swapped to another brand. Both KYB and Bilstein are quality OEM level brands.
    Shock was perfectly fine

    Talked to them
    They send me a new shock

    Same clunk

    Been dealing with it 3 months

    The design on top mount is incorrect

    Look at my other clunk thread. Another guy in Italy after buying B4 bilstein in rear developed same clunk


    I love bilstein

    All my other cars have bilstein

    On my mazda5 front has bilstein
    Rear bilstein on this car is problematic
    Last edited by 90210; 02-17-2018 at 03:01 PM.

  4. #94
    Registered Member Silentnoise713's Avatar

    2008 Mazda5 Grand Touring; 2009 Honda Fit Sport/Nav MT

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by phunky.buddha View Post
    Probably had a defective shock- happens sometimes, regardless of the quality of the brand. I still trust Bilsteins overall. I would send it back for a refund since you've swapped to another brand. Both KYB and Bilstein are quality OEM level brands.
    +1 granted I can see how it leaves a bad impression on an owner.

    Also, I though you mentioned everything was working fine for a little bit until you had a rear fender bender? That's when the noise creeped up, no?
    Stuff for sale:
    Flex Innovation 5 wire grounding Kit (for manual owners reduce drive-by-wire throttle lag)
    https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...56#post6532656



    ^http://www.wingood.com/flagselect.asp

    My Thread
    ^http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...oise713-Thread

  5. #95
    2012 CR Mazda5 Touring 90210's Avatar

    2012 Mazda5 Touring

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentnoise713 View Post
    +1 granted I can see how it leaves a bad impression on an owner.

    Also, I though you mentioned everything was working fine for a little bit until you had a rear fender bender? That's when the noise creeped up, no?
    Yes. After I installed the B4, all was fine for 450 miles. After rear ender, noise came. Don't know if it was result of that, or the shock settled.

    But I have tried everything since then to be fixed. New rear B4, from Bilstein, new shock mounts, nothing helped. Noise was ONLY gone, when rear shocks were taken out. Thus the new Bilsteins were making the clunking.

    As you saw from other posts, guy in Italy bought the same B4, and he had same clunk from day one.


    Now that I swapped KYB on OLD shock mounts, no noise. I went ahead and changed all the shock mounts anyways on the rear.

  6. #96
    Registered Member Silentnoise713's Avatar

    2008 Mazda5 Grand Touring; 2009 Honda Fit Sport/Nav MT

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,519
    I can't quite make sense of this.

    You put in new B4, no noise for 450 miles.
    You put in replacement (but brand new) B4, noise right off the bat?


    I still think knocking noise is indicative of poor mounting/mating surface. Did you have a look/compare the diameter of the B4 piston vs OEM (where it mates the top shock mount)? I wonder if the piston (or the threaded part) is too large or small, making contact against the shock mount's metal casing. I can only speculate. Glad you've moved on. KYB gas-adjust monos should be good for the rear.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  7. #97
    2012 CR Mazda5 Touring 90210's Avatar

    2012 Mazda5 Touring

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentnoise713 View Post
    I can't quite make sense of this.

    You put in new B4, no noise for 450 miles.
    You put in replacement (but brand new) B4, noise right off the bat?


    I still think knocking noise is indicative of poor mounting/mating surface. Did you have a look/compare the diameter of the B4 piston vs OEM (where it mates the top shock mount)? I wonder if the piston (or the threaded part) is too large or small, making contact against the shock mount's metal casing. I can only speculate. Glad you've moved on. KYB gas-adjust monos should be good for the rear.
    I couldn't make sense of it either. Almost was ready to sell the van, noise was so EFFIN annoying. Chasing it for 3 months as you guys see.

    Yes Bilstein said first shocks bad, thus sent replacement, which was noisy from mile 1 (more clunky than original B4)

    B4 rear piston is too small, and makes that contact, that is the issue. Its a design problem.

    I prefer Bilstein for rear (as I have Bilstein on other cars and love them for over 20 years). that said couldn't live with noise. KYB (never owned these), solved it on the rear.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Similar Threads

  1. Blown struts
    By nathan23554 in forum Mazda Protege
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-22-2010, 04:42 PM
  2. blown struts
    By red6spd in forum Mazdaspeed3
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-05-2009, 11:35 AM
  3. Blown struts?
    By chippy in forum Mazdaspeed3
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-31-2009, 02:07 PM
  4. Blown Struts
    By Jahosiphat in forum Mazda Protege
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-17-2008, 10:16 AM
  5. Blown struts?
    By Rome04 in forum Mazda Protege
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-14-2007, 11:53 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •