Thrust washer failure, crank walk and spec 2+ clutch

slowwpro

slowwpro
:
03 Mazda protege es
I recently rebuilt my motor for the third time. The first time was because of the intake manifold valves coming loose and getting sucked in to the engine. The second time was to build the motor with forged internals and the third was extreme CRANKWALK..

I'm not exactly sure why. but I lost all oil pressure at idle and and found a thrust washer in my oil pan and the only thing I can think of causing this was driving with really low oil because my turbo feed line sprayed all the oil everywhere.

So either lack of lubrication or maybe my clutch wasn't set up correct. And I was using a stock clutch. The engine was built very carefully all to spec. And I drove it for a year before this happened.

But my real question is about to clutch. Iv just rebuilt the engine with all new king bearing and thrust washers all measured out to specifications. And I also installed a new spec 2+ clutch.

The car is running great I'm still breaking it in so haven't got on it. But I'm scared my clutch engagement point isn't set up correct and this could cause the thrust washer to ware again if it isn't.

Does anyone have a protege with a spec clutch I just need to know how it is supposed to feel. Because its not extremely stiff but it is kind of hard and the engagement point is very short. Like if I press the clutch all the way down it only takes maybe a 1-1/2" to engage.

I also have a Rx7 with a stage 3 act clutch and that feels way less stiff and the engagement point is alot farther distance from full compression. Although the engagement is alot more harsh. I know it's a completely different car and clutch but I'm just looking for any insight on how it's supposed to feel in a protege or any advise or clutch pedal set up. Any help or comments are greatly appreciated

So I have about 40k miles on my Built motor and at the same time I put in a Exedy Stage 2 then about a year ago the Competition Stage 3 went in and it started stalling with the clutch in for more than a quick second. I measured about .013" of crankwalk and parked it.
Every time I replaced a clutch I had to adjust the pedal from the previous one wearing thin and feeling weird at the end of its life . Im sure the shop manual is stickied on the site. Or do a quick search and find the clutch pedal height adjustment specs. I was planning on a Spec 2+ but know idk. Did you end up putting the race thrust washers or oem?

Back