Have You Added Car Cameras Yet?

G

Guest2018

Car Cameras Anyone?

I vowed that I would not allow 24hrs to pass after taking delivery of my new CX-9 Sig without installing car cameras. It was actually 72hrs because I took my time doing the installation. Every wire is tucked away and tied off (unseen) and I just wanted to make sure I got everything right the first time.

I'm using the Blackvue 650S Dual Channel system (front and back) with two (dual) Cell Link Battery B units. Those cameras are Wifi and Cloud enabled. So, I can view live video from anywhere through a mobile device such as a cell phone or iPad using an app developed for the Cloud. I don't have to be with the vehicle in order to view live video or download recorded video. The cameras are connected via Wifi to a mobile Hotspot (a Netgear 815S Aircard). So, the cams can send push notifications through the Cloud server out to any device where I'm running the Cloud Viewer app. Notifications sent are for motion detection and bump detection through a G-sensor embedded in the cam. So, I can review recorded video upon receiving a notification.

I had problems initially. I thought the camera was dropping connections to the Cloud too frequently. In troubleshooting the matter, I was able to isolate the real issue down to the Hotspot. I initially used the Verizon JetPack Hotspot, which was an abomination. Not necessarily the hotspot, because it too was made by Netgear - but the Verizon network turned out to be unreliable for a system that needs to be always connected 24/7/365. I then switched to the AT&T Hotspot and that solved the majority of connectivity problems, though no Hotspot running on the major carriers will remain connected while driving across all terrain. However, I found that ATT's dBm was stronger and more consistent than Verizon, no matter where I drove the CX-9. I've had Sprint cell phones for years now and knew that it would be pointless trying to run the same rig on their network.

Right now, things run very smoothly. Blackvue has just come out with a newer design (750s) that is supposed to be an improvement over the 650s for Wifi and Cloud reliability as well as optics and night vision. I'll be upgrading to the 750s next week and adding a second dual channel system for a total of four (4) channels and 360-degrees of motion detection coverage outside the vehicle. I will also add two more Cell Link Battery Bs to power the additional cameras. That will provide more than a weeks worth of engine idle power to the cameras and the Hotspot.

The portable batteries are LiLon and hardwired directly to the interior fuse box. When the ignition is in the ACC position, the vehicle's battery powers the portable cell units. At all other times, the portable batteries provide power to the cameras and Hotspot. So, it takes about 1hr of driving to fully recharge both fully depleted Cell Link Batteries and they never get fully depleted based on how frequently the vehicle is driven.

The last time I had to file to claim with my insurance company came when some nut case began tailgating me in my old car on the freeway. I was in the far right lane (slow lane) doing 65mph. He did not like that fact that I would not speed up and he refused to pass to the right in the two other lanes that were wide open for him to pass. He zips around me to my left, cuts me off nearly swiping the left front corner of my car and then slams on his brakes. I plow into the back of him. Nearly no damage to his vehicle, yet the entire front right corner of my vehicle had been smashed in.

Once the highway patrol arrives, I give then that exact same story. The tailgating idiot lied and said that I simply ran into the back of him out of nowhere. I told the highway patrol that the guy was lying through his teeth and with a straight face. The first words out of the officers mouths were: "Sir. Were there any witnesses. Did anyone stop who can confirm what you are saying?" I told the officer that I had been contemplating cameras in my car for over a year and never pulled the trigger on the purchase. The officer said: "That would have made this a lot easier for me, had your story lined up with your camera."

The insurance company totaled my old car and only paid salvage value. I went to buy a CX-9 Signature that Saturday morning for cash. That Sunday night, I was online ordering my cameras. 72hrs later (because of the weekend) I received the cams and installed them that same day.

I will NEVER be caught driving a personal vehicle without cams rolling - ever, ever, ever again. Moral of the story.

Last edited:
Did I say never again? Because, if I forget to say it, let me clear that up: NEVER again without cams rolling. Nope. A Tailgater who causes a collision will always lie about what they did. If this kind of thing ever happens again, I'll let the idiot talk to the police first. Then, I'll simply start the app and let the recorded footage roll, so the officer can see what actually took place them self. Then they will know which story is the truth. In fact, I won't have to say a word - just roll tape.

The scenario you describe sounds like someone looking for a personal injury lawsuit payday. Another reason to have cameras. Haven't got them in my car but have been thinking about it. I am not as techy as you, so I might need to get Car Toys or someone similar to install something. I wish these were standard equipment on new cars, they will be one day.

The manual says that the car records information which can be downloaded after a crash. Anyone know more about the information that is stored and can be downloaded?

Anyone have a good guide for pulling all the trim to hide the wiring for front and rear cameras and hard wiring in to the fuse box? (2016-18's)

The scenario you describe sounds like someone looking for a personal injury lawsuit payday. Another reason to have cameras. Haven't got them in my car but have been thinking about it. I am not as techy as you, so I might need to get Car Toys or someone similar to install something. I wish these were standard equipment on new cars, they will be one day.

Standard equipment for sure someday sooner rather than later, no doubt. I would expect Tesla to forge the way here and force others into the foray of making surveillance cameras standard or at least a cost effective option at the time of purchase. Whether they can task "autopilot cameras" and equipment for that purpose or isolate surveillance from autopilot remains to be seen.

Honestly, you don't have to be a mechanic or technically inclined to install it. After carefully reading the installation instructions of most systems, visiting the seller's or manufacturer's website and watching several YouTube videos and making some distinctions between those who do clean installs and those who do not - you will have more than enough information to do your own install. I've seen people charging upwards of $350 to install cameras. While I have no issues with Cottage Industry, most newer cams on the market today don't require that much collaboration to install.

The manual says that the car records information which can be downloaded after a crash. Anyone know more about the information that is stored and can be downloaded?

SRS Control Module? I don't know of anything RTM and accessible for the owner/end user purposes outside of what OBDII can provide through a scanner. It would be an interesting find if it did exist, however.

@Cessna CJ4, can you post pictures of where you mounted your dashcam? I'm especially interested in the front, since most of the real estate behind the rear view mirror is taken up by the factory cameras.

Back