Have You Tried the AIO Tweaks?

G

Guest2018

There have been questions about Warranty and whether or not updating your Mazda Connect System would void it. My question is whether or not you have added AIO to your new CX-9?

I have added it using using the MZD-AIO v2.7 configuration application and it works as designed. I've had no issues subsequently and I've tested all the changes. I probably use the Video Player the most and have been converting DVDs to MP4 almost nonstop as a result - building a movie library of sorts. The video player is not perfect, but it is a good hack even with some obvious missing features and functions like being able to pause a video, restart the Mazda Connect System and resume the video from where you initially paused it. However, it is better than nothing for passengers on long drives over an hour.

Last movie was Quantum Of Solace and hearing the studio quality 5.1 Dolby Surround audio inside an enclosed vehicle like that is amazing. You don't typically get that level of acoustic from a movie video unless you have a serious theater quality sound system at home (a real home theater room designed specifically for playing dynamic media). The other most used tweak would be adding "Enable Wifi," turning the CX-9 into mobile device itself and then connecting it to my on-board AT&T Hotspot.

It would have been nice if Mazda had included an OEM video player and a built-on Hotspot as basic options to the CX-9, especially the Signature. I can imagine Mazda doing those two things, but I can't imagine Mazda removing things like the initial Disclaimer on boot, or making the Touchscreen active while driving above a certain speed - for reasons that are understandable. If people are out there touching the Start/Stop button by mistake while the vehicle is in drive, then you probably don't want that same individual using a Touchscreen at 65mph either. And, you probably do want to them to read a Disclaimer Message before backing up as well.

Anyway, just wanted to know if you used the tweak/hack and what you though about it.

I did, and I love it. I disabled the disclaimer and added Android Auto so that I can use Waze instead of the factory nav, which neither I nor my wife like using.

I have no need for a lot of the other stuff like changing colors and backgrounds or playing videos.

There are still some bugs with Android Auto, but the developer is continuously working to address them as they arise.

Edit: How are you using the WiFi? I've gotten it to connect to my phone's hotspot, but how does the system ultimately use the internet connection?

Last edited:
I did, and I love it. I disabled the disclaimer and added Android Auto so that I can use Waze instead of the factory nav, which neither I nor my wife like using.

I have no need for a lot of the other stuff like changing colors and backgrounds or playing videos.

There are still some bugs with Android Auto, but the developer is continuously working to address them as they arise.

Edit: How are you using the WiFi? I've gotten it to connect to my phone's hotspot, but how does the system ultimately use the internet connection?

Waze looks interesting, thanks. Through the vehicle's Wifi connection you can use Mazdas Connected Services (http://infotainment.mazdahandsfree.com/navigation-connectedservices?language=en-NA). I have not tried this yet, but it looks like Waze might have some overlap - not 100% sure.

Waze looks interesting, thanks. Through the vehicle's Wifi connection you can use Mazdas Connected Services (http://infotainment.mazdahandsfree.com/navigation-connectedservices?language=en-NA). I have not tried this yet, but it looks like Waze might have some overlap - not 100% sure.
Mazda Connected Services do not work in the U.S. (discontinued around 2014/2015). I think the WiFi feature can be used for some of the more advanced "hacks" and/or fixes if something goes wrong. I've enabled WiFi in mine and connected to my phone's hotspot and it does nothing in terms of unlocking/adding any usable features.

I've tried the MZD Tweaks program on my car with two different firmware versions and had mixed results on both. Certain features cause the system to freeze when navigating through menus. I haven't been able to figure out exactly which one/s cause the problem so I've kept it pretty simple and only use a few basic tweaks.

I had really been looking forward to getting Android Auto working and when I finally did it was a bit disappointing: the sound quality was really poor and at the time AA would not handle phone calls (would route everything to handset, which I keep in the armrest when driving). I really hope Mazda officially releases a bug-free AA update soon. I had it in my VW Tiguan and it was nice just to have things work - voice commands are better, navigation more accurate, more apps are supported, and it actually knows where places/businesses are. I think one of my biggest gripes with the Mazda Navigation is that I have to type in nearly every POI I want to go to; if I speak it then the system has no idea and thinks I'm trying to play something from a USB thumbdrive.

I think the WiFi feature can be used for some of the more advanced "hacks" and/or fixes if something goes wrong. I've enabled WiFi in mine and connected to my phone's hotspot and it does nothing in terms of unlocking/adding any usable features.

That's kinda what I thought. I know I can use it to SSH into the system if needed, but haven't been able to figure out any other benefit to it.

AA would not handle phone calls (would route everything to handset, which I keep in the armrest when driving).

Have you tried the Bluetooth fix that was released earlier this month? My calls don't immediately route back to the headset anymore.

Have you tried the Bluetooth fix that was released earlier this month? My calls don't immediately route back to the headset anymore.
I have not. I upgraded to the newest firmware and I don't think AA is compatible with it. Either way, if the music/audio quality hasn't improved then I'm not really interested. I just want something that "works" and the Mazda system is the closest to that, albeit with a few inconveniences.

Mazda Connected Services do not work in the U.S. (discontinued around 2014/2015).

Well, that explains it then. If those services are indeed no longer available in the US. Then the Auto Start Wifi hack would be useless unless as you say, there are other reasons to connect the vehicle to a hotspot.

I've tried the MZD Tweaks program on my car with two different firmware versions and had mixed results on both. Certain features cause the system to freeze when navigating through menus. I haven't been able to figure out exactly which one/s cause the problem so I've kept it pretty simple and only use a few basic tweaks.

I own a two month old 2017 Signature and used version 2.7 from here (https://mazdatweaks.com/) and it worked as described with no offsetting problems that I could see. Not sure which version you used, however. The developer has a long versioning history on record. So, check your version. You can also revert back to stock configuration if you want with v2.7x.

I had really been looking forward to getting Android Auto working and when I finally did it was a bit disappointing: the sound quality was really poor and at the time AA would not handle phone calls (would route everything to handset, which I keep in the armrest when driving). I really hope Mazda officially releases a bug-free AA update soon. I had it in my VW Tiguan and it was nice just to have things work - voice commands are better, navigation more accurate, more apps are supported, and it actually knows where places/businesses are. I think one of my biggest gripes with the Mazda Navigation is that I have to type in nearly every POI I want to go to; if I speak it then the system has no idea and thinks I'm trying to play something from a USB thumbdrive.

I thought I would be keeping my Android phone and dreaded the idea that when I bought my new Signature, I would have phone issues. But, I ended up going iOS with an Apple 5s and pulling my old LG G2 out of service. There are things about Android that I do like better than iOS, however. But, now my Car Phone interface to the iPhone works flawlessly thus far - I've had no issues to date and the Signature politely asks me where I'd like to take or make the call. So, pretty seamless right now even after the AIO v2.7 install.

Interesting point you make about the Mazda Navigation using Voice Commands. I'm just now getting around to opening up the manual on that subject - so I don't have any results right now. I tend to read what the manual says first, then go try to execute on something to see how it differs from what the manual says. I'm working my way through the manual front to back that way over time. Having said that, my experience thus far with manual entries into the Navigation system have been nothing short of spot on. We've used Navigation in real-time while driving to find things we otherwise would have not known existed, or would have needed to use a third-party device to find.

I'm pretty used to making real-time manual entries and adjustments into Navigation systems while flying. Though electronic flight navigation is not exactly the same ground based Navigation systems in four wheel vehicles, the input side of the Mazda system was surprisingly not that much different in 'concept'.

So, it was just a matter of getting used to the interface, what the Mazda Navigation system required as input, what its limitations are and what my expectations should be for final output. After that, I found it a breeze and very accurate with only a few odd exceptions where it had me looking left on the arrival streets for my destination instead of looking right where the actual address was located. But, that area was under construction as well, so I'll cut Mazda some slack for those kinds of errors.

After I get up to speed on the Voice Command integration with Navigation and get some end user time under my belt, I'll report back what I find. Sounds like you did not have a whole lot of success with it.

I just tried this on my 17' CX-9 GT and am not impressed whatsoever. While it seems like a nice attempt at hacking the Mazda system, there were nothing but glitches on the main features of this AIO program.

For starters, the video player would not play 2 MP4s and 1 AVI file I loaded straight off my laptop in my passenger seat and onto my thumb drive. The files played right there in my lap on my computer, but to no avail on the infotainment screen. The files showed up on the screen list, and then wouldn't show up, and then showed up again. When I let the unit run its course on the file, it displayed a disclaimer to remove the navigation SD card and try again? What the heck? Why would I want to do that, am I MacGyver the car navi hacker or something?

For the Android Auto function, don't make me laugh. I plugged my Samsung S7 into one of the USB ports in the console and was greeted with various scenarios. Experiences ranged but are not limited to:
1. Code commands in black and white on my screen
2. Never displaying anything remotely close to something resembling an Android phone display or an app.
3. It even randomly called my mother's cell phone as I sat there helpless to hang up before I wake her because my phone, the console knob/buttons, and touchscreen were all frozen due to Android Auto glitching out like that girl in the Wreck It Ralph movie. Thank god it didn't call some angry turd I work with everyday instead.

The only cool thing I found that works was a speedometer app that shows driving stats like elevation, idle time, and other neat parameters. Oh, one other thing: I guess if you want to be cool like a middle school kid - you can change the colors of your clock and street names on your navigation status bar, but I'll pass on them.

I'm going to bed. I'll deal with this horrible interface during my commute tomorrow and then most likely flash it to stock and be done with this trash.

Last edited:
I just tried this on my 17' CX-9 GT and am not impressed whatsoever. While it seems like a nice attempt at hacking the Mazda system, there were nothing but glitches on the main features of this AIO program.

For starters, the video player would not play 2 MP4s and 1 AVI file I loaded straight off my laptop in my passenger seat and onto my thumb drive. The files played right there in my lap on my computer, but to no avail on the infotainment screen. The files showed up on the screen list, and then wouldn't show up, and then showed up again. When I let the unit run its course on the file, it displayed a disclaimer to remove the navigation SD card and try again? What the heck? Why would I want to do that, am I MacGyver the car navi hacker or something?

For the Android Auto function, don't make me laugh. I plugged my Samsung S7 into one of the USB ports in the console and was greeted with various scenarios. Experiences ranged but are not limited to:
2. Never displaying anything remotely close to something resembling an Android phone display or an app.
3. It even randomly called my mother's cell phone as I sat there helpless to hang up before I wake her because my phone, the console knob/buttons, and touchscreen were all frozen due to Android Auto glitching out like that girl in the Wreck It Ralph movie. Thank god it didn't call some angry turd I work with everyday instead.

The only cool thing I found that works was a speedometer app that shows driving stats like elevation, idle time, and other neat parameters. Oh, one other thing: I guess if you want to be cool like a middle school kid - you can change the colors of your clock and street names on your navigation status bar, but I'll pass on them.

I'm going to bed. I'll deal with this horrible interface during my commute tomorrow and then most likely flash it to stock and be done with this trash.
Yo gotem

I own a two month old 2017 Signature and used version 2.7 from here (https://mazdatweaks.com/) and it worked as described with no offsetting problems that I could see. Not sure which version you used, however. The developer has a long versioning history on record. So, check your version. You can also revert back to stock configuration if you want with v2.7x.

I thought I would be keeping my Android phone and dreaded the idea that when I bought my new Signature, I would have phone issues. But, I ended up going iOS with an Apple 5s and pulling my old LG G2 out of service. There are things about Android that I do like better than iOS, however. But, now my Car Phone interface to the iPhone works flawlessly thus far - I've had no issues to date and the Signature politely asks me where I'd like to take or make the call. So, pretty seamless right now even after the AIO v2.7 install.

Interesting point you make about the Mazda Navigation using Voice Commands. I'm just now getting around to opening up the manual on that subject - so I don't have any results right now. I tend to read what the manual says first, then go try to execute on something to see how it differs from what the manual says. I'm working my way through the manual front to back that way over time. Having said that, my experience thus far with manual entries into the Navigation system have been nothing short of spot on. We've used Navigation in real-time while driving to find things we otherwise would have not known existed, or would have needed to use a third-party device to find.

I'm pretty used to making real-time manual entries and adjustments into Navigation systems while flying. Though electronic flight navigation is not exactly the same ground based Navigation systems in four wheel vehicles, the input side of the Mazda system was surprisingly not that much different in 'concept'.

So, it was just a matter of getting used to the interface, what the Mazda Navigation system required as input, what its limitations are and what my expectations should be for final output. After that, I found it a breeze and very accurate with only a few odd exceptions where it had me looking left on the arrival streets for my destination instead of looking right where the actual address was located. But, that area was under construction as well, so I'll cut Mazda some slack for those kinds of errors.

After I get up to speed on the Voice Command integration with Navigation and get some end user time under my belt, I'll report back what I find. Sounds like you did not have a whole lot of success with it.
Just this past Friday, after originally posting here, I did try version 2.7 with better results. Android Auto now works much better and after about a 600 mile road trip this weekend I better understand the "quirks" of how to interact with the AA interface using the control knob. Voice Commands are still not perfect, but better than the OEM Mazda navigation. I don't know if it doesn't like my voice or what but I'm speaking as clearly as I can and there are still issues with the systems understanding what I'm saying (I never had any issues with AA voice commands in my VW).

I had similar experiences when first trying the program. I learned that certain features just don't work 100% and activating others led to system freezes. And I agree, the option to change system colors and choose different background images seems gimmicky to me too. It took some trial & error and reverting to stock several times when I didn't know what exactly which option was causing the system to freeze. I have not tried the video player at all so I can't help there, but I can tell you what's worked for me so far (Mazda firmware 59.00.502):

*Remove Startup Disclaimer & Rear Camera safety warning
*Disable Boot Animation
*Change Background Image to just the standard black/off screen image
*Shorter Delay Mod
*Semi-Transparent Parking Sensor graphics
*Bigger Album Art
*Change Blank Album Art frame to transparent
*Android Auto (using 2.7)

AA did take a few tries to get the phone and system working together. I had to clear all data on AA app on my phone, then plug in the cable, and disconnect/reconnect a few times before it would display/work properly on the headunit. Since then it seems to work okay (though there was one time when I left my phone in the car plugged in and when I re-started the car AA would not start up until I disconnected/reconnected the phone cable.

And the AIO tweaks app does not work for me at all on v502 though it did work for me on the previous firmware, I think it was v449 that came on the car.

Just this past Friday, after originally posting here, I did try version 2.7 with better results. Android Auto now works much better and after about a 600 mile road trip this weekend I better understand the "quirks" of how to interact with the AA interface using the control knob. Voice Commands are still not perfect, but better than the OEM Mazda navigation. I don't know if it doesn't like my voice or what but I'm speaking as clearly as I can and there are still issues with the systems understanding what I'm saying (I never had any issues with AA voice commands in my VW).

I had similar experiences when first trying the program. I learned that certain features just don't work 100% and activating others led to system freezes. And I agree, the option to change system colors and choose different background images seems gimmicky to me too. It took some trial & error and reverting to stock several times when I didn't know what exactly which option was causing the system to freeze. I have not tried the video player at all so I can't help there, but I can tell you what's worked for me so far (Mazda firmware 59.00.502):

*Remove Startup Disclaimer & Rear Camera safety warning
*Disable Boot Animation
*Change Background Image to just the standard black/off screen image
*Shorter Delay Mod
*Semi-Transparent Parking Sensor graphics
*Bigger Album Art
*Change Blank Album Art frame to transparent
*Android Auto (using 2.7)

AA did take a few tries to get the phone and system working together. I had to clear all data on AA app on my phone, then plug in the cable, and disconnect/reconnect a few times before it would display/work properly on the headunit. Since then it seems to work okay (though there was one time when I left my phone in the car plugged in and when I re-started the car AA would not start up until I disconnected/reconnected the phone cable.

And the AIO tweaks app does not work for me at all on v502 though it did work for me on the previous firmware, I think it was v449 that came on the car.

Thanks for chiming in. I may go this route and tailor the system to a more dialed back setup. The "3D" text option makes my labels look like a Nintendo 64 game, and the colors will just be put back to stock. I did just go for a spin on my lunch break and the infotainment was glitching a ton. I am torn, but will either take your approach or go 100% back to stock.

Mike

Thanks for chiming in. I may go this route and tailor the system to a more dialed back setup. The "3D" text option makes my labels look like a Nintendo 64 game, and the colors will just be put back to stock. I did just go for a spin on my lunch break and the infotainment was glitching a ton. I am torn, but will either take your approach or go 100% back to stock.

Mike
What firmware are you on?

Back