Air Vent Noise

Paddywiggle

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Hey all you people! I'm new to this forum... first post. Seems to be that there is a lot of information and support from other owners here so I figured I'd take my part in it as well.

I purchased my Mazda Protege5 in March this year with 147k miles and after buying it discovered a noise that causes me grief every hot California day. When I have my air on (doesn't have to be A/C), sudden jars to the car such as big cracks or speed bumps cause my (seems to come from) passenger side air vent to make a honking/squealing noise and doesn't stop until I turn the air off. This also happens when I push the engine harder than normal. I turn the air off and sometimes I can turn it back on without any noise no problem, but sometimes the noise comes back on instantly when I turn the air on again. The problem happens whether or not the air is cycling from within the car or accepting air from outside.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas?

Cheers

I could be wrong, but on my ES the belts would squeal when running the a.c. and they are on the passengers side. That was usually associated with a drop to low rpms though...so I would only run the a.c. once I was already at speed and had my rpms up. Could be totally unrelated. Squealing makes me think of a belt though...I wonder if one is attached to our interior fan somewhere (no idea).

My alternator belt was squeaking from the A/C, but I fixed that problem. This is more of a honking or slightly kind of like a low pitched moaning? It is very loud and unnerving.

Back