2017 mazda cx-5 lug nut torque?

Well, not all of us have a "fair handle on our strength"... Did you really say that? Dafuq does that even mean?

Although I agree with you: I've never used my torque wrench to change tires. I'm betting at least 80% of humans don't.

However, since the OP asked a specific question, I figured I'd answer that rather then tell him he's doing it wrong. Sometimes you just don't need to reply at all, bro.

It means Ive torqued enough things to similar levels as lug nuts to know what sensible feels like. Would i trust myself on main caps? No. But wheel lugs, where your dealer just typically wails on it with an air wrench? Sure.

Thing is...do you know if the torque spec is wet or dry? If dry, is it degreased, or machine/preservative oil? This can make a 15-25% difference...what now? Call mazda and ask for clarification? Or just bolt em on sensibly...

Last edited:
It means Ive torqued enough things to similar levels as lug nuts to know what sensible feels like. Would i trust myself on main caps? No. But wheel lugs, where your dealer just typically wails on it with an air wrench? Sure.

Thing is...do you know if the torque spec is wet or dry? If dry, is it degreased, or machine/preservative oil? This can make a 15-25% difference...what now? Call mazda and ask for clarification? Or just bolt em on sensibly...
Torque wrench doesn't know or care what the conditions are, it just makes sure they're all the same 100% of the time, a claim you can't make. So, now you're arguing against torquing lug nuts? Seriously??

Last edited:
A little late to the party on this one, but I tend to lean towards Unobtanium's take on this subject.

Almost every time I've had wheels installed at a shop, they hammer the lug nuts with an air gun, with no apparent torque setting.
They just pull the trigger and air gun them until they don't move. Makes me want to scream at those morons.
I've gone home afterwards and loosed all the lug nuts, with great difficulty.
On more than one occasion, I had to use a 3 foot long pipe over top of my lug nut wrench as an extension to get enough leverage to loosen the nuts.
They were seriously too tight, and I didn't need a torque wrench to figure that out.
Almost 50 years of car ownership, and I have never used a torque wrench on my wheels, and have never lost a wheel or warped a rotor, or had any problems of any sort.
I just installed my winter tires/rims on my 2017 6 GT, in the driveway. Tightened the wheel nuts by hand.
There is definitely something to be said for "feel".
Just my .02c
Cheers.

A little late to the party on this one, but I tend to lean towards Unobtanium's take on this subject.

Almost every time I've had wheels installed at a shop, they hammer the lug nuts with an air gun, with no apparent torque setting.
They just pull the trigger and air gun them until they don't move. Makes me want to scream at those morons.
I've gone home afterwards and loosed all the lug nuts, with great difficulty.
On more than one occasion, I had to use a 3 foot long pipe over top of my lug nut wrench as an extension to get enough leverage to loosen the nuts.
They were seriously too tight, and I didn't need a torque wrench to figure that out.
Almost 50 years of car ownership, and I have never used a torque wrench on my wheels, and have never lost a wheel or warped a rotor, or had any problems of any sort.
I just installed my winter tires/rims on my 2017 6 GT, in the driveway. Tightened the wheel nuts by hand.
There is definitely something to be said for "feel".
Just my .02c
Cheers.

When I was in college I twisted a 3/8" extension in half trying to change a tire done similar. When you're in college, you tend to not have all the tools, lol!

When I bought my winter wheel/tire setup 3 years ago from Tire Rack I drove to their Corp. HQ in South Bend, IN and saw a few things that surprised me.

They had at least 12 - 14 stations dedicated just to tire changing/installation (maybe more).
No whole car lifts were used, everything was done with multiple floor jacks and stands.
No pneumatic tools could be heard. Everything was done with a lug wrench (mostly saw the 4-way 'X' or cross wrench type) and then a torque wrench was used at the end.
Since I had new wheels my service adviser recommended I recheck the torque after 50 miles or so (they recommended 88 lb,-ft.).

I already had a decent torque wrench, so no big deal, but it got me to thinking, if it's that important to them, maybe it should be more important to me. I'd never used a torque wrench in the past when installing wheels but I do now at every changeover. It's easy and I know they're consistent. YMMV.

........Now if you would please excuse me. I shall go torque my nuts right now.

Here in Sweden, we have always changed our tyres twice a year, from winter to summer and vice versa. I have always done that without torque wrench (just tightening the lug nuts manually with x wrench) and never had problem for 20 years in both our cars. I bought an electric tyre impact wrench recently and realised that without the torque limiter stick it tightens the lugs too hard. I now use the torque limiting stick of 110 nm with the electric wrench. It suits both our cars.

Same here, 100 ft/lbs. It helps that my 2014 Ford Focus Hatchback calls for 100 ft/lbs and I do the wife's CX-5 the same. Wife's from Roseau Mn btw :)

HaHa! My wife has a 2007 Ford Focus that also calls for 100 ft/lbs! Yup, swap both vehicles on the same day. I hope your wife enjoys the warmer weather down there since it IS further south than Roseau! (2thumbs)

HaHa! My wife has a 2007 Ford Focus that also calls for 100 ft/lbs! Yup, swap both vehicles on the same day. I hope your wife enjoys the warmer weather down there since it IS further south than Roseau! (2thumbs)

Yup, everyone here says, "How are you enjoying living in the cold in Canada?" Bahahaha She has to "remind" them that she is from more North than here! Having a great set of snow tires helps as we travel to Roseau every Christmas as well as 4th of July. Between Upper Michigan, northern Wisconsin and Minnesota, you never know what weather you'll hit! Happy Thanksgiving btw :)

Back