2017 mazda cx-5 lug nut torque?

The few times that I had to tighten lug nuts on my car, I used a torque wrench. Wheels being a safety component on a car, I cannot feel comfortable just tightening them to the point where I feel they are tight enough. I want to know they are tight enough as per the manufacturer's specification. That's just me and other people surely don't feel that way.

Nothing at all wrong with that. Just hanged enough rims that I feel how I feel.

Well, I think its funny that the guy (not you) who posted links explaining how improperly torquing the lugs can "warp" the rotors, and who's had numerous warped rotors, and who owns a really expensive torque wrench, torques his lug nuts by feel.

....and has never had a lug nut he torqued result in brake judder...

*the tq wrench belongs to a friend in the DoD industry. I use it when I'm at his establishment to build guns.

Well, I think its funny that the guy (not you) who posted links explaining how improperly torquing the lugs can "warp" the rotors, and who's had numerous warped rotors, and who owns a really expensive torque wrench, torques his lug nuts by feel.

Does he look like this?

the-incredible-hulk.jpg

:D

If someone told me they could warp the rotors by over tightening lugs... yea, I would not believe that's possible.

I torque the lug nuts to 'feel' on that cold winter night on the side of the road after changing the flat tire. At home, in my garage, I use a torque wrench.

Speaking of torque wrenches. Tekton Torque wrenches have really good value.

For the record, I own a Snap-On torque wrench, and I trust it. I knew that my son did not own a tq wrench. While shopping at Menard's, I noticed a Tool-Shop brand tq wrench, 20 to 150 ft/lb, on clearance with a rebate for a final price of less than $10. I bought that for my son and it has worked OK for several years now. IIRC the regular price was less than $30, so there is little reason not to get one.

For the record, I own a Snap-On torque wrench, and I trust it. I knew that my son did not own a tq wrench. While shopping at Menard's, I noticed a Tool-Shop brand tq wrench, 20 to 150 ft/lb, on clearance with a rebate for a final price of less than $10. I bought that for my son and it has worked OK for several years now. IIRC the regular price was less than $30, so there is little reason not to get one.
Yes and do you know what? I don't think it matters that much if they are dead accurate as long as they are not too far off and consistent.

Yes and do you know what? I don't think it matters that much if they are dead accurate as long as they are not too far off and consistent.

Pretty cool comparo of moderately cheap and expensive torque wrench.

Last edited:
I'm confident that you will strip the threads before you warp the rotors.
I've warped many rotors in the past and it's always been because you got the brakes extremely hot and then you used the emergency break to park the car. Other times are when you've gotten them extremely hot and then hold the brakes for a long time at a light or parked. Brakes that cool unevenly around the radius, warp the rotors face.

Torque specs are based on the material and thread pitch of the screw and fastener. Wider spaced threads can be tightened more than finely spaced thread before they stretch and strip.

A single torque spec value would assume its being tightened at ambient (70F) temperature.
Higher temperatures, metals stretch and screws naturally loosen.
Lower temperatures, metals contract and screws naturally tighten.

If you are tightening lug nuts on freshly driven and hot wheels, you want to use slightly less torque.

If you are tightening then outside in the very cold winter, you'll want to tighten them up more than usual, to prevent them from loosening when they are driven during hot summers again or down long mountains.

Makes sense?

Listing a range helps owners in Canadian winters and Arizona summers.

Last edited:
...If you are tightening then outside in the very cold winter, you'll want to tighten them up more than usual, to prevent them from loosening when they are driven during hot summers again or down long mountains.

Makes sense?...

no

First wheel rotation coming up on my son's CX-5 soon, so I look it up in the Owner's Manual, and groan: as always, Mazda gives a range of torques. Why, why, why... (uhm)

The foot/pound range is 80~108. Average of those two is 94. Hmm, that just happens to be the spec. for my daughter's Pilot. Maybe 94 it is. (rolleyes)

OTOH, Pilot is heavier: maybe 90.

This is a pain. I wonder if the dealership has a cheat sheet, should ask.

Last edited:
Overthinking it. Anywhere in the range is fine. Go with 90 and be done with it.

I usually do not torque to spec, but I also have a fair handle on my strength from building M4's, and my main concern is that I torque the lug nuts down in increments, evenly. I have personally never warped a rotor. The dealership has warped numerous rotors on my cars. So I feel like maybe I know what I'm doing. No rims have ever left the car unintentionally, lol!

The few times that I had to tighten lug nuts on my car, I used a torque wrench. Wheels being a safety component on a car, I cannot feel comfortable just tightening them to the point where I feel they are tight enough. I want to know they are tight enough as per the manufacturer's specification. That's just me and other people surely don't feel that way.

It's literally a non-issue unless you are so inept at torquing things down as to have a physical or mental handicap. The margin of error on passenger car lug nuts is massive.

It's literally a non-issue unless you are so inept at torquing things down as to have a physical or mental handicap. The margin of error on passenger car lug nuts is massive.
Well, not all of us have a "fair handle on our strength"... Did you really say that? Dafuq does that even mean?

Although I agree with you: I've never used my torque wrench to change tires. I'm betting at least 80% of humans don't.

However, since the OP asked a specific question, I figured I'd answer that rather then tell him he's doing it wrong. Sometimes you just don't need to reply at all, bro.

Well, not all of us have a "fair handle on our strength"... Did you really say that? Dafuq does that even mean?

Although I agree with you: I've never used my torque wrench to change tires. I'm betting at least 80% of humans don't.

However, since the OP asked a specific question, I figured I'd answer that rather then tell him he's doing it wrong. Sometimes you just don't need to reply at all, bro.

Means he thinks he has calibrated arms.

Back