Push Button Start Issue

Just baffles me that when people find something in a car that goes wrong because of their doing whether by intention or accident and that if it doesn't correct itself or prevent it then it is an issue of the manufacturer. I agree with someone's post previously that at some point we as owners and drivers should take some responsibility especially when it concerns safety. I've had push button start vehicles in the past 7yrs and never had an issue. I do get someone said that they got used to having a manual ignition key and switching to push button start that they still look for the key but not to the point of pushing the button. I have actually both types of vehicles right now with one having push button while other manual key and I don't get confused between the two. At the end of the day if you don't take some responsibility and get into an accident (coz of pushing button while in gear) then that becomes your fault. It's not like a lot of people have gotten into an accident for it to become a recall issue and manufacturer to adress it.

Good job on ignoring my entire point and instead questioning my mental capability. Bravo! Myopic much?

I'll be ignoring your replies. You have not contributed to this topic much more than personal attacks and questioning my capabilities.... and judging those who differ. You Sir come across an old cloud of unwanted gas. Enjoy your high horse.

Those who actually want to discuss this issue, my point is that mazda basically lazied their way thru this implementation when compared to What rest of the market provides. "Be more mindful" is a pretty lazy/evasive response in my opinion. a 7 seater is assuredly aimed at a family and they have dropped the ball in this regard.

Well--it's not MY fault. Mazdas247 should automatically have prevented you from being bothered by posts that you don't like. You should complain to the mods about the functionality of the site.

Last edited:
I do not see any product malfunctioning here.

How is this function any different than if you accidentally bumped the KEY on a keyed ignition, and turned the motor off?

Do you know of any other vehicles that will forcibly apply the brakes while rolling and pressing the START/STOP button?

No--but there are cars with electronic gear shifters that automatically put the car in Park if the car is shut off, or in other conditions. I have a BMW with an electronic shifter, and if you open the door while the car is in gear, it will go to park--you can't override it, so if you want to open the door to see where the curb is while parking, you can't, because the car will jolt into park. Many Fords have an electronic gearshift with a knob.

Chrysler was criticized after the death of Anton Yelchin because many have said that its electronic gearshift is confusing, and does not have the feature where the car automatically goes into park when the door is opened.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/20/autos/jeep-recall-anton-yelchin/index.html

However, the CX-9 has a conventional shifter which has been around for decades, so the "confusion" issue of whether it is in park is not applicable here.

I do not see any product malfunctioning here.

How is this function any different than if you accidentally bumped the KEY on a keyed ignition, and turned the motor off?

Do you know of any other vehicles that will forcibly apply the brakes while rolling and pressing the START/STOP button?

Geepers. I just looked at your signature line. You've been doing this Mazda thing for eons - wow! Does anybody here have more bought and sold Mazdas under their belt? I had a used 86' RX-7 GSL-SE. Suffered "hydro termination" of the 13b. I called Mazda in Japan back then and spoke to an engineer who knew the 13B very well. That's where I learned about the term "hydro termination." She began spewing out a thick could of mist (water vapor) on start-up early in the morning, suddenly. Eventually, she simply would not start in the mornings. Pulled the plugs for the first time and most were wet (hydro termination). Thus, no spark - no start.

... I have a BMW with an electronic shifter, and if you open the door while the car is in gear, it will go to park--you can't override it, so if you want to open the door to see where the curb is while parking, you can't, because the car will jolt into park...

Ouch! Sounds like a horrible, horrible design theory. Odd and strange, too. I would have expected a more logical approach to minimizing negative outcomes from BMW. The must have implemented some kind of maximum speed threshold as an effective override? I've driven off with a partially closed driver's door before and had to open/close it well above 25mph. I can't imagine the damage done to both engine and transmission in that BMW under the same scenario. Seems like something would break.

However, the CX-9 has a conventional shifter which has been around for decades, so the "confusion" issue of whether it is in park is not applicable here.

Agreed.

Ouch! Sounds like a horrible, horrible design theory. Odd and strange, too. I would have expected a more logical approach to minimizing negative outcomes from BMW. The must have implemented some kind of maximum speed threshold as an effective override? I've driven off with a partially closed driver's door before and had to open/close it well above 25mph. I can't imagine the damage done to both engine and transmission in that BMW under the same scenario. Seems like something would break.

I haven't tried opening the door at speed; and don't plan to.

OP here - in terms of the "driver needs to take responsibility" type comments... while I obviously agree with that concept from a very general perspective, I think my issue with this is that the push button start is a newer technology that drivers (like myself) are not used to and therefore, the function of it isn't as ingrained in my brain as the older technology was. Perhaps newer technology should be a little bit more dummy proof than stuff that's been around for many years. Same goes for the newer styled E-brakes (like a previous comment was referring to)... it's just not that intuitive to me after having used the previous style for so many years.

And re. the ability to keep your keys in your pocket... I have way too many weird shaped keys/fobs on my keychain so I never keep my keys in my pocket.

OP here - in terms of the "driver needs to take responsibility" type comments... while I obviously agree with that concept from a very general perspective, I think my issue with this is that the push button start is a newer technology that drivers (like myself) are not used to and therefore, the function of it isn't as ingrained in my brain as the older technology was. Perhaps newer technology should be a little bit more dummy proof than stuff that's been around for many years. Same goes for the newer styled E-brakes (like a previous comment was referring to)... it's just not that intuitive to me after having used the previous style for so many years.

And re. the ability to keep your keys in your pocket... I have way too many weird shaped keys/fobs on my keychain so I never keep my keys in my pocket.

But--how does the push button start change the dynamic?? Cars have had automatic gearshifts in the center console for decades. The CX-9's is conventional--it's not like the Ford dial, or the Lincoln or Honda push buttons. You put the gearshift in park the same way you always have.

Before a proximity key, did you forget to put the car in park, and only figure it out when you couldn't remove the key? And if so, I still have a hard time seeing how that's Mazda's fault, and not user error.

My suggestion here is to take up your issue with Mazda directly as you won't find your answers here on the forum...like I posted previously diff manufacturers have diff ways in programming how their push button start system functions. My personal take is if you can't adjust to the vehicle you're driving don't expect the vehicle to adjust to you 'coz it never will.

My personal take is if you can't adjust to the vehicle you're driving don't expect the vehicle to adjust to you 'coz it never will.

What's with all of the attitude on this forum?

I've driven the CX-9 every day for the past 6 months and this "issue" literally only happened once and I was surprised that it was able to happen... and then this whole thread is full of ridiculous responses about how people need to take responsibility for their own actions and learn to drive their vehicles, etc.

What's wrong with you people? A bunch of cranky middle aged people full of negativity?

Maybe a cover would help?

Sosung-Fit-For-Ford-Mustang-2015-2016-2017-Car-Engine-font-b-Start-b-font-Stop.jpg

482657c9ce477fe2c_20160902150855.jpg

source.gif

I've driven the CX-9 every day for the past 6 months and this "issue" literally only happened once and I was surprised that it was able to happen... and then this whole thread is full of ridiculous responses about how people need to take responsibility for their own actions and learn to drive their vehicles, etc.

What's wrong with you people? A bunch of cranky middle aged people full of negativity?

First, welcome to the internet.

Why did you post to begin with? I'm assuming to make people aware of a "problem". And others have told you their view that they don't believe there is any "problem" with the car itself. If that wasn't your purpose, maybe we have all misunderstood and you can elaborate.

If you view it because of middle aged crankiness and negativity, so be it.

Most likely you were misunderstood...not really sure what your original intent was but by the sound of your post it seemed you were looking for an issue that wasn't there to begin with. If it was really to gather feedback or a concensus then I get it...I actually am getting turned off in this forum since my intention was to use it for getting useful feedback and/or information and vice versa however most of the postings I see are complaints and rants and if I encounter them then I just try to stay away from reading/responding.

It's just funny to get these kind of people in a forum where you are talking about a (relatively boring) family-mobile. Figured it would be a more mature civilized crowd.

Well--read some posts on Facebook and Twitter by "mature civilized" people. Is it really much different?

True, A few folks with nothing else in life to do. Just the volume of cranky replies they are capable of, paints a picture of their lives... these are middle aged trolls by definition. Just Ignore.

I actually got a reply from NHTSA and they want more information from me to investigate this. I unfortunately won't get back to my cx-9 until end of Oct. If you could make a youtube video of this in action, it would be very helpful! Cheers

I just confirmed with my friend at Toyota that all of the Toyotas operate the same way as the Mazda Push-button, the only exception is the Prius with push button transmission, which goes into Park automatically when STOP button is pressed.

Investigate the completely normal and expected behavior? Should it go into park? What if you need to turn the engine off or it stalls and you are pushing the vehicle? Should you have to know an arcane button combo to get it back in drive? You do know the gear selector cant move itself. Should the car apply brakes? That's even farther from expected behavior.

True, A few folks with nothing else in life to do. Just the volume of cranky replies they are capable of, paints a picture of their lives... these are middle aged trolls by definition. Just Ignore.

I actually got a reply from NHTSA and they want more information from me to investigate this. I unfortunately won't get back to my cx-9 until end of Oct. If you could make a youtube video of this in action, it would be very helpful! Cheers

I see. You can judge us by a few posts here, but dare we make judgments and assumptions about you about your posts about how you can't remember all the steps to drive a car--FOR SHAME! I guess it's the cranky curmudgeons vs. the delicate snowflakes in this thread.

Good luck with NHTSA.

Back