2011 CX-9 GT AWD Downshift bump and poor MPG

Joshrp5

:
2010 CX-9
Hey guys, I am a new owner of a 2011 CX9 GT AWD with tow package with 92k. The car is in immaculate condition with full maintenance record and plastic even on some of the upholstery. So i believe the car to be very well taken care of.
My question, i recently had my control arm recall replaced and while I was in there I mentioned that when i brake, I feel a hard drift especially from 5th to 4th gear. It sometimes feels like you went from neutral to drive while driving down the road.
Of course when I was there it wasn't doing it that bad. However, this morning it was really bad. The tech said the car is mechanically in excellent shape.

The transmission feels very tight otherwise. Manual mode is very smooth and quick. the car goes into gear from park and reverse smoothly and quickly.

Shift solenoid?

Now, wife has a 2010 cx9 touring and i never feel the issue.

Also, I drive around town and I am getting about 13.3 mpg! I don't know if these issues are interconnected and they may not, again, when i drive my wifes I will at least get 17mpg doing the same driving.

Any thoughts or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys, I am a new owner of a 2011 CX9 GT AWD with tow package with 92k. The car is in immaculate condition with full maintenance record and plastic even on some of the upholstery. So i believe the car to be very well taken care of.
My question, i recently had my control arm recall replaced and while I was in there I mentioned that when i brake, I feel a hard drift especially from 5th to 4th gear. It sometimes feels like you went from neutral to drive while driving down the road.
Of course when I was there it wasn't doing it that bad. However, this morning it was really bad. The tech said the car is mechanically in excellent shape.

The transmission feels very tight otherwise. Manual mode is very smooth and quick. the car goes into gear from park and reverse smoothly and quickly.

Shift solenoid?

Now, wife has a 2010 cx9 touring and i never feel the issue.

Also, I drive around town and I am getting about 13.3 mpg! I don't know if these issues are interconnected and they may not, again, when i drive my wifes I will at least get 17mpg doing the same driving.

Any thoughts or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Change all shift solenoids. Be sure to change transmission fluid and filter while youre in there as well.

I try not to look at my gas gauge on my 08. But the utility it offers when needed cannot be replaced. It is a special garage queen. I swiss cheesed my lower airbox (got a second one from salvage, first one still unmolested) and my fuel economy went up just a little.
How's your transfer case & rear differential? they are ticking time bombs on the all wheel drive variants. Hopefully that is not your issue, but could be.

They are all fine. Recently changed as well.

You mentioned that it slips or goes to neutral in between the shift? Your transmission likely needs a rebuild, but I cannot say for certain because you did not mention any codes.

DO NOT go to the dealer for this one. a transmission speciality shop will be your best bet. Its either that or you pay much more for a new transmission.

Back