Sanity check on cx9

dhayes16

:
Mazda CX9
Hello all. I need a sanity check. I have a cx9 with 128k miles on it. I have been having an issue where the 4wd light is on all the time. A mechanic looked at it and said the rear differential needs to be replaced because the wire connecting is sheared off. I have posted on this before and it is fixable but for about 1k for just the part. So about 2k I would assume. Plus I need a rear bearing and new rear brakes.
So I start reading the miles people are getting out of their cx9s and I am bummed for the low miles.
I found a 2016 cx5 GT AWD CPO with 12000 miles on it for 24,411. They are giving me $5900 for my cx9 which really surprised me (though it would be less). So I told them to lock up the cx5 and I will be there Monday to close the deal. In service date was 5/15 and it is not the 2016.5. So with the extended warranty for CPO I would have about 4 1/2 years or 100k on the power train and 12 months /12000 miles after the main warranty expires in 8 months.
But I am wondering if I should pay the 4k or so on my cx9 and drive it more. I did have the transfer case replaced under warranty since it cracked. But finances are a little tight but that cx5 is doable especially with the trade.

So the big question is Am I insane for considering fixing the cx9? Other than the issues about it is in good shape.

Thanks for any input
Dave

Hello all. I need a sanity check. I have a cx9 with 128k miles on it. I have been having an issue where the 4wd light is on all the time. A mechanic looked at it and said the rear differential needs to be replaced because the wire connecting is sheared off. I have posted on this before and it is fixable but for about 1k for just the part. So about 2k I would assume. Plus I need a rear bearing and new rear brakes.
So I start reading the miles people are getting out of their cx9s and I am bummed for the low miles.
I found a 2016 cx5 GT AWD CPO with 12000 miles on it for 24,411. They are giving me $5900 for my cx9 which really surprised me (though it would be less). So I told them to lock up the cx5 and I will be there Monday to close the deal. In service date was 5/15 and it is not the 2016.5. So with the extended warranty for CPO I would have about 4 1/2 years or 100k on the power train and 12 months /12000 miles after the main warranty expires in 8 months.
But I am wondering if I should pay the 4k or so on my cx9 and drive it more. I did have the transfer case replaced under warranty since it cracked. But finances are a little tight but that cx5 is doable especially with the trade.

So the big question is Am I insane for considering fixing the cx9? Other than the issues about it is in good shape.

Thanks for any input
Dave

first you must decide if you will be financially okay in the long run trading in for a new car.

next you have to consider whether you want to keep driving your current cx9. if you plan to keep it, don't forget to do a transmission fluid change and install new solenoids.

so depending financially, I think I would go with the cx-5 because it's newer (less stuff to worry about with fixing etc.) and more fuel efficient.

you could also fix up your cx-9 and drive it around until you find a CPO 2017 model which was improved over 2016.

I would also recommend looking at a Mazda 6. you can walk away with some major savings on a brand new model right now.

Thanks

first you must decide if you will be financially okay in the long run trading in for a new car.

next you have to consider whether you want to keep driving your current cx9. if you plan to keep it, don't forget to do a transmission fluid change and install new solenoids.

so depending financially, I think I would go with the cx-5 because it's newer (less stuff to worry about with fixing etc.) and more fuel efficient.

you could also fix up your cx-9 and drive it around until you find a CPO 2017 model which was improved over 2016.

I would also recommend looking at a Mazda 6. you can walk away with some major savings on a brand new model right now.

Thanks very much for this response. I believe I have upped my game a bit and am going to see what I can find new. I have not even looked at the Mazda 6 yet. I will take a look.

Again, Thanks!

Thanks very much for this response. I believe I have upped my game a bit and am going to see what I can find new. I have not even looked at the Mazda 6 yet. I will take a look.

Again, Thanks!

strongly recommend giving the 6 a consideration, the 2.5L engine is far better suited to the smaller and lighter sedan. it's quicker, more efficient and the handling /stability you will experience going from an SUV to a sedan will be nothing short of refreshing...

on top of that, the Mazda 6 has absolutely awful sales due to the established sedan competitors, Mazda really deserves more sales of this overlooked gem. this car is worth a serious look.

best of luck with your endeavors.

Back