Throttlebody replacement

:
mazda5 GT 2009
Just replaced MAFS on mazda 5 2009 due to CEL code P0101. Light was off for about a week but came on again today. Local shop diagnosed throttlebody replacement needed. Theyre charging OEM $600+ and $150 for labor. Mechanic recommends OEM only for the part and not to use aftermarket. Anyone experienced this before? Suggestions? I found an OEM online at jimelismazsa for $400+

Last edited:
Well, maybe try cleaning the throttle body first and see if that fixes it. Are you experiencing poor engine performance? such as rough idle or stalling?

Actually there are no problems aside from the CEL. When i repalced the MAFS idling became smooth and feel the car is running well now. Was surprised to find CEL on this morning after about 300+ miles on the new MAFS woth no issues. Came home from mechanic this morning after being diagnosed to replace throttlebody with CEL on and now drove to my sons school and it is off! Mechanic offered cleaning but was charging $300!

Actually there are no problems aside from the CEL. When i repalced the MAFS idling became smooth and feel the car is running well now. Was surprised to find CEL on this morning after about 300+ miles on the new MAFS woth no issues. Came home from mechanic this morning after being diagnosed to replace throttlebody with CEL on and now drove to my sons school and it is off! Mechanic offered cleaning but was charging $300!

$300 to clean? I did mine this week, took half hour max. I didn't remove mine, just used clean rag, toothbrush and throttle body cleaner. Hold throttle plate open and wipe out crud. Fixed my random idle drop at lights.

$300 to clean? I did mine this week, took half hour max. I didn't remove mine, just used clean rag, toothbrush and throttle body cleaner. Hold throttle plate open and wipe out crud. Fixed my random idle drop at lights.

Yes $300 to clean only and replace throttlebody gasket. Did you have CEL on before cleaning? What waa the code? Is this a common issue on the mazda 5. On youtube i found a video specifically on cleaning the mazda 5 throttlebody but more likely i will have to find someone who can do it for me for a much lower price than $300. Thanks.

Yes $300 to clean only and replace throttlebody gasket. Did you have CEL on before cleaning? What waa the code? Is this a common issue on the mazda 5. On youtube i found a video specifically on cleaning the mazda 5 throttlebody but more likely i will have to find someone who can do it for me for a much lower price than $300. Thanks.

No codes, just noticed a random idle drop when sitting at lights. Would just drop to 550 rpm and then next light be normal. Now it just idles at 750 rpm all the time.

I went to another mechanic who cleaned the throttlebody. Its been about 400 miles and no CEL. Thanks for all the help.

Back