VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: LankyKiwi's Rally-flavored SP20

Registered Member STudMUffin1177's Avatar

Mazda protege5

Hell ya brother, I really miss my cheap beater of a truck. Having a daily to thrash around made me feel allot better than thrashing the wagon with no backup haha

Comp Engineering Student Riot_Polizei's Avatar

2002 Mazda Protege5

Turbo it

Nice that you have a secondary beater now. Sometimes, you don't want to haul parts for your project car in your project car. I scratched off a part of my rear window's aging tint on accident when trying to stuff WRX seats in my car last year :^(
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    ■ Sunburst Yellow ■ Black Rear Valence ■ Injen Cold Air Intake ■ Racing Beat Catback Exhaust ■ Moog Front Endlinks
    ■ Megan Racing Rear Strut Tower Bar ■ Racing Beat Rear Sway Bar ■ Mazda6 Front Big Brakes ■ Foglight Deletes
    ■ OBX 4-1 Headers ■ MP3 ECU ■ VTCS-less Intake Manifold ■ Mishimoto Aluminum Racing Radiator + Fan Shroud
    ■ AWR Trailing Arms

Mazda protege5

I wanted to, but I had to sell it );

Registered Member

2001 Mazda SP20 323

Heck yeah, having a daily means I can tear in to stuff and still get to work, plus the daily mileage was starting to take it's toll, there's a few extra rattles and leaks to deal with now!

Registered Member

2001 Mazda SP20 323

Speaking of tearing in to stuff, here's some actual progress:

Got the rear trailing arms out, painted and installed the Nolathane bushes, painted the control arms as well (can't seem to get replacement bushes for these)

Getting the old bushes out of the trailing arms involved a whole bunch of drilling, cutting and swearing, but they put up less of a fight than I was expecting
    Also got another drivers side caliper on the way too

Got the lower radiator hose out of the way to test fit the supercharger, I think this will be the best position for routing piping and keeping everything out of harms way.
    The flanges on the intake/exhaust are my temporary, mock up versions for setting up piping and mounts, the proper flanges will most likely be plate alloy

From below, making a bracket is going to be fun, might have to do something a little weird and mount off the outlet flange but we'll see what happens

This little guy might be a problem, ideally I'd grab a housing with a neck that points straight out or heads towards the exhaust rather than the factory one that points down at about 45 degrees, right in the way!

Does anyone know if Mazda thermostat housings are fairly universal? Hopefully I grab a miata/bounty/demio/ neck that will work a bit better here.

Registered Member

2001 Mazda SP20 323

Was up in Auckland on the weekend so I dropped by the massive (700 cars) pick-a-part yard to grab a CV shaft for the demio and to have a look for parts for the SP20

There was a GH Mazda 6 sedan there, so I liberated all of the brake calipers and 2 disks for setup purposes, these things are massive compared to the stock brakes!

Stainless brake lines are on order as well, now these just need a clean up and paint before they get bolted up, need to sort out the handbrake cable as well.

On the supercharger front, we're waiting on a thermostat housing from a Cleaveland V8 a it has the same bolt pattern but the neck sticks straight out, hopefully it'll do the trick.

Should I go whole-hog and pull this motor out? I need to replace the rear mount, and there's a leak at the gearbox end, plus a new clutch and flywheel would be nice... It's making more sense to pull the whole thing, tidy everything up on a stand, paint the bay and the block but it'll be a challenge stopping it from snowballing out of control lol

Mazda protege5

Pull the motor, I need some direction for when I do my parts car haha. In all honesty itll probably be easier to fab everything up with the drivetrain out, but you might run into clearance issues unless your really good with a tape measure. Plus I personally would love to see your build snowball into a full rally build haha keep it up man
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2002 Mazda Protege5

Do tell how those SS brake lines feel once they're! After I got the SS clutch line put in, it got me thinking a lot about SS brake lines.

Whole-hog it, man. If you can maybe clean up the head while you're at it, your car would really appreciate it! And yes, I would totally recommend new flywheel + clutch, preferably sport types if possible. As of tonight, I finished my 500 mile break-in period for my clutch and flywheel, and God does downshifting and rev-matching feel better than ever! So quick and fun...
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2001 Mazda SP20 323

Ha, looks like the motor will come out then!

Not for a while at least, baby steps before I tackle something like that

In other news, the rear subframe is out, because why not, it has to come out to replace the control arms anyways
    The bolts that hold the arms to the hubs took a fair amount of WD-40 and swearing to get out, but patience (and a BFH) won in the end

Hmmmm, a little dirty

A bit of scrubbing and a coat of paint later:

Ready for reassembly! Need to get some replacement swaybar bushes from AWR, this is the second set and they're nearly worn through in the middle
    I'm thinking the brackets are a little tight and are causing extra wear so I might tweak them slightly and see what happens

2002 Mazda Protege5

Damn son, that looks nice! Best of luck with all repairs!

You should ask CR3 if he sells his brackets worldwide. That'll put a stop to your bushings wearing excessively, and enable you to use stronger bushings and brackets.

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Nice to see some american muscle going into a Mazda down under lol
    My dad has a galaxie with a 351 Cleveland in it. I've yet to see the car run but from what he told me its a beast.
    2003 Sunburst Yellow Mazda Protege5
    Follow my instagram @another_yellowp5

Mods List
    Interior
    - JVC head unit
    -Sound Ordinance Sub woofer
    Exterior
    -WeatherTech Rain Guards
    Performance
    -HKS axle back
    -MP3 Flashed ECU (removed)
    -MazdaSpeed Protege Turbo kit
    -Tein S tech springs
    -KYB Struts
    -MSP Rear Sway Bar
    -CR3 Relocation Brackets
    -FMIC kit

Registered Member

2001 Mazda SP20 323

@Riot, the CR3 shop is like a candy store lol, I need to make a list and email them, getting everything in one order saves shipping but it's a bit harder to plan

@Gabe; It fits too! I wonder how many parts from other brands I can shoehorn in to this project....
    Galaxies are cool, got any photos?

Registered Member

2001 Mazda SP20 323

Can someone double check me on the torque setting for the inner bolts on the front lateral links? I've done 'em up to 90 nm as per the workshop manual, but the arms don't move freely on the bolts. The rubber flexes but it seems a little stiff to me.

Registered Member

2001 Mazda SP20 323

I've been channelling my inner Project Binky and have whipped up a rough CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) model for the supercharger

Its not pretty but it fits and it should all work nicely, Once it's finalised I'll draw it up properly and get a steel version cut

The bottom of the charger sits about level with the bottom of the radiator support rail, so it's low, but not in too much danger. The outlet piping is going to wrap around and head forwards in to the bumper, that will need some form of bash guard

Rear subframe is assembled and installed, still need to go through and torque up the lateral link bolts, but I want to do that with wheels on the ground. While I was under there, it seemed like a good idea to chuck the coilovers on...

Sweet! It is away too low as it sits (sump sits about 100mm from the ground) so it will come up eventually, but man does it look good! Can't wait to get it out of the shed and on some back roads now.

The BC coilovers were super easy to install, everything lined up perfectly, which was a surprise! I thought there might be a fight from a few fasteners but the only snag was the passengers rear ABS sensor didn't want to come out and I may have stretched the cable a bit lol. It also looks like the rear seatbelt tower thingys might not fit back on but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it

The all important shoe test, MCM approved!

2002 Mazda Protege5

You know, all this handywork you've showcased in your build thread is inspiring me to check out this welding class nearby. 70 bucks for three days of hands-on TIG, MIG, or the third one I'm forgetting about, and they provide the materials. All I gotta do is finish all 2000 other economic responsibilities and I'll be good :^)

Nice work with the suspension! Man I bet it'll handle like a dream now. So envious, lol...

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast