CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: LankyKiwi's Rally-flavored SP20

Registered Member

2001 Mazda SP20 323

LankyKiwi's Rally-flavored SP20

Gidday guys and girls!
    My name is Aaron and I hail from Hamilton, NZ.
    I've had this Classic Red 2001 SP20 for just over a year and have slowly been chipping away at it. The rally flavor comes from my love of Rally cars and a desire to do something a little different than the usual slammed look. Main inspiration is the Lancia Delta Integrale and group A cars like the WRX and Mitsi Evo series

Completely stock:

New Wheels (OZ Racing Evo 4 wheels, 17x7 inches)

All Dressed up for a Gumboot Rally (And my ugly mug as well)

As she sits after an after-work drive this evening

Unfortunately the paint on the drivers door and the front bumper peeled quite badly from the stickers used on the rally, Being a red, Japanese, early 2000's car means the paint is really bad and needs redoing at some point (Love to redo it in the new Mazda Passion red)

General info:
    2001 Mazda SP20 sportshatch
    - Black headlights
    - Black front badge
    - 323 rear badge replaced with Mazdaspeed badge
    - Shorty antenna
    - 'Bong' intake baffle removed and grill drilled for more airflow
    - Mudflaps made from $8 K-Mart chopping boards (Wasn't going to pay $70 for a pair of rally ones!)
    - MPV wiper control
    - JVC double din head unit with up-rated speakers all round

Future mods/maintenance:
    - lower springs/ uprated shocks (Not coilovers due to NZ's road laws)
    - Exhaust and intake replacement Exhaust done!
    - some mild weight loss
    - Ducktail style rear spoiler (Not Peugeot 205 T16 crazy, more like you see on Civics sometimes)
    - Replace ratty steering wheel and seats Steering wheel replaced
    - Cambelt needs replacing soon DONE!
    - Repaint bumper and door

Let me know what you think! Looking forwards to bouncing ideas off everyone here
    Last edited by LankyKiwi; 09-20-2018 at 03:52 AM.

Registered Member

BJII Astina SP20

Welcome bro!

That classic red is a great colour for the SP20 isn't it! Not being biased or anything.

Is that the clear missing when the stickers were removed? Sucks that the clear is so bad on these cars.

Registered Member

2001 Mazda SP20 323

Thanks for the welcome!

Yep, its the clear coat peeling, it was bad before the stickers but now it really needs work

Love your SP20! Nice and clean and the black roof looks great!

Registered Member

2001 Mazda SP20 323

Threw the car on to the weigh bridge at work to see how much a fairly standard SP20 weighs.....

Around 1275kg with a third-tank of fuel and some crap inside, so estimate curb weight of around 1240kgs, not tooooo bad for a 5 door hatch!
    Might aim for a sub 1150 kg weight without sacrificing too much creature comforts.

Registered Member

BJII Astina SP20

Remove tow bar, spare wheel, back seat and that'll get it down a fair bit.

Put some pic's up of the interior.

BTW, apparenty NZ has a few JDM BJ Familia's around. Do you know of any JDM wreckers around your way? Try to locate a FSZE and swap your FSDE over.
    Some of the JDM cars also had different cup holders, like the photo below. Much better than the stupid ones that we got that cannot even hold a can of Coke upright.

If you can find the above cup holder/gear surround, I'm interested in one too.

02 Mazda P5

I have the open cup holder i can sell you, but it will not be flushed with your console. It will be popped out quite a bit. You would have to change out the console as well.

MSP HEADLIGHTS, MSP DOOR SILLS, MAZDASPEED AXLE BACK, S2K ANTENNA, REAR WIPER DELETE, FRONT PLATE RELOCATOR, TEIN COILOVER/STRUT SUSPENSION, OBX HEADER 4-1 W/ FOULER TRICK, K&N DROP IN FILTER, SPORT SHIFTER BASE, FRONT LIP, DIY FOGLIGHT MOD, COMPASS/TEMP MIRROR

Registered Member

2001 Mazda SP20 323

Thanks guys, towbar will probably come off sooner or later, it's handy for a bike rack but doesn't get used that often.

Funny that wreckers should be mentioned as yesterday I went for a trip up to the perpetual car park that is Auckland to go around the pick-a-part yards. Didn't see any JDM cupholders but did manage to score a Demio steering wheel, some OEM tweeter pods and a rear spoiler to start my ducktail project.

Interior pics:

Before/ standard. Note torn and grotty steering wheel

Door top tweeter caps, LH is before, RH is new OEM style. I had to cut up the aftermarket tweeters but they fit nicely now and don't look so hacked together

Mazda Demio steering wheel, 2001ish I think. Bolts straight on, nothing blew up and no lights came on, success!

'02.5 Mazda Protege5

Nice finds! That looks like a very nice steering wheel. I know many prefer the 3 spoke "sportier" wheel, but a non torn up wheel is definitely better 🖒 Excited to see more from your build!

Registered Member

2001 Mazda SP20 323

Thanks Taco! The new wheel isn't as nice to hold as the leather one but it looks so much better and won't be picked apart by me!

In other news; ordered some Pacemaker Headers using the trade account at work, saved about $100! Looking forward to getting those in and setting up a new exhaust. (any suggestions or comments there would be much appreciated ��)

The rear struts are making a bit of a gassy/wheezy noise going over bumps so it might be time to look at replacements. Any suggestions for non-adjustable, non-coilover struts that can handle a 15-20mm drop?

Registered Member

2001 Mazda SP20 323

Update time!

The pacemaker headers turned up last week and I've found a new catalytic converter, just need to get a resonator, a muffler and some pipe then it'll be time to build a new exhaust.

shiny new headers 😁 will probably paint these white or wrap them for aesthetics, looking forward to hearing how these sound!

Also redid the window tints as they were an awful faded purple and only the rear door glass was tinted. Need to get some more to finish off the rear hatch and possibly the front doors. Turned out OK but nothing flash...

New to do list:
    - repaint front bumper and drivers door (got the paint, waiting for a fine weekend)
    - tint rear hatch and maybe the front doors
    - build and fit exhaust
    - new rear shocks
    - cambelt/ 200,000km service (currently at 192,000, doing a big trip over Christmas)
    - rotate and clean the wheels as they are filthy behind the face!

2003 Mazda Protege5

Love those wheels man! Wish I could get a set for my P5 haha

Registered Member

2001 Mazda SP20 323

After a bit of an absence, I'm back!

Not too much to report other than I've been collecting parts for a new exhaust, just need a rear muffler and some flanges now.
    On the cards this weekend is a good service and a chance to paint the valve cover (black crinkle finish) and the headers (White)

The plan for the car is still the same, mild performance upgrades and weight reduction with a rally theme

Here she is mid-roadtrip around the South Island, 3000+kms over 2 weeks of country roads and stunning scenery!

Registered Member

2001 Mazda SP20 323

Hmmm. Time for a cambelt methinks

We're nearing 198,000kms so it's due but it's another $350 in parts and a day of wrenching that could have been spent on something a bit more exciting.

I'm sure this looks bad but is fine for a few more Kms, Knowing my luck at the moment it would break somewhere waaaaay out of the way and the towing fee would be outrageous.

In other news, I've got everything I need for an exhaust system so will be trying to build that in a week or too

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protégé5

I love those wheels and mudguards. Not in the market for wheels or suspension any time soon but the mudguards look great as well.

Registered Member

2001 Mazda SP20 323

Quote Originally Posted by ItsAzekii View Post
    I love those wheels and mudguards. Not in the market for wheels or suspension any time soon but the mudguards look great as well.
    Thanks! The mudguards are actually flexible chopping boards from K-Mart. They're cheap and work great but fade quickly in the sun

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast