2.5L Pushing Some Real Horses With OV Tune

GJ-Molestor

Banned
:
2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual
Not my videos. This is a Mazda 6, posting here because this section of the forum is more active. The vehicle is stock except for 91 octane fuel, ECU tune and cold air intake. Here is a base tune:

https://youtu.be/_vnve9Y1Hu4

And here is the same car, but with a more aggressive tune:

https://youtu.be/qEQw9Cf-6VY

Right off the bat, you notice the better throttle response and how much Harder the car pulls. Looks like a healthy 10-15HP and ft/lb gains which are conservative figures if anything. With this tune, the car is finally pushing how much Power it shouldve left the factory with.

The gears in this car are long for fuel efficiency and the redline at 6k RPM really does not help that slow, labouring feel when you upshift into the next gear. Stock, the car just wants to be revved to 3kRPM for efficiency. Now, this engine pulls all the way to 7000rpm! So impressive for a large displacement motor, the powerband is crazy predictable and linear. Tuned, this engine is making almost the same HP as the first gen 3L v6 in the Mazda 6, and more torque at a lower RPM (4 cylinder!!!!)

Also, since the car revs so much higher now, look how much better suited the gearing is. The engine is always in the powerband with each upshift and the transmission shifts very nicely even with the added power! Plus that sound at redline! So good. Also, fuel economy should not increase when just ripping around in the city. The car will feel more peppy and responsive.

Now that last video is impressive and all, but imagine you deleted the cats and did a tune for that as well... another easy 15hp and 15 ft/lb of torque EASILY. with enough grip from the front tires, this car should be able to post low 6 second times very easily. truly quite impressive.

I mention this for you CX-5 guys, because this ECU tune will provide a much needed boost for the heavier crossover.

Last edited:
Looks interesting. Any dyno plots? According to the vid the guy is running it on 16" wheels so could be way lighter wheels. I remember what a difference it made in my RX7 going from heavy 25lbs 17" wheels to the stock 16lbs 16" wheels. WOW...

This just demonstrates how ridiculous some of your comments are. Sorry, I don't try to be rude but you really are naive if you think you can guesstimate what "looks like a 10-15 hp increase" by looking at those worthless boy racer videos. You have no idea if the conditions are the same by looking at a rev counter and a speedo.

ROTFL at trying to get more power out of a normally aspirated 2.5 liter 4 banger, with an ECU tune.

Last edited:
Looks interesting. Any dyno plots? According to the vid the guy is running it on 16" wheels so could be way lighter wheels. I remember what a difference it made in my RX7 going from heavy 25lbs 17" wheels to the stock 16lbs 16" wheels. WOW...

Lighter rims wouldnt make that huge of a diffference, but whatever advantages they offer was offset by the poor grip from the winter tires which in turn caused a pretty slow 0-60 time, although the car pulls noticeably stronger then before once Its got grip.

That got me thinking... I have some 19 rims on my BMW, and their OEM rims are super heavy! It does make a big difference when switching to lighter rims.

ROTFL at trying to get more power out of a normally aspirated 2.5 liter 4 banger, with an ECU tune.

Not really, OV claims 20-30hp gain and Im sure that figure is totally possible if you delete the cats. There is power to be made as this car only runs on 87 in stock form.

Everyday I wish really hard and I can totally feel 10 extra horses

Just a simple google of OV and there are many negative reviews of OV and their owner/tuner Matthew Wilson for false promises and faulty software. Hes not known for following through on his promises either.

That company does not carry enough clout for me to ever invest in.

Couple of potential issues and questions.
Firstly, I suspect reprogram or tuning your ECU, as well as removing the cats, will void any warranty you may have.
I presume you would do this after your warranty runs out.
Secondly, these modifications will probably cause a failure when doing emission testing.
Every state/province/country has different emission tests and standards, but up here, doing these mods will more than likely result in a failed test.
Cheers.

Since when is a mid-size sedan topping out at 200 HP with a bunch of mods 'real horses'? (lol2)

since when have you ever commented anything, anywhere that was useful?

please, not on my thread.

Wait, what exactly are you saying it'll do in 6 seconds? 0-60?

of course I meant 0-60. but only assuming that the front tires have lots of grip, an aggressive tune and you'd probably need to delete your cats too. 6.5 sec is totally reasonable, low 6 sec is possible.

Back