How Often Do You Change Your Oil?

I follow the owner manual, 8000km 0W20 it's just 70$ CAN. I go to the dealer for 3 years, after that I do the oil change my self.

Transmission fluid is good until about 50k. Be sure to change the filter as well

Transmission fluid doesn't need changing in the CX-5. Lifetime fluid, is what it states, and it has maint. intervals for other things out to something like 120K miles, with no mention of transmission fluid change.

I tow 2500-3000 lbs regularly though. SO I think I may get it done a bit sooner. I will most likely trade it for a truck in the next year as the Mazda is maxed out with my trailer and what not. Doesn't like the tongue weight!

I mention a 50k trans fluid interval considering that you are towing. As long as you change the filter as well, its a reasonable mileage.

Transmission fluid doesn't need changing in the CX-5. Lifetime fluid, is what it states, and it has maint. intervals for other things out to something like 120K miles, with no mention of transmission fluid change.

Theres no such thing as a lifetime transmission fluid. Although to a lesser extent, transmission fluid gets dirty like engine oil and eventually wears out needing replacement. Mazdas transmission design is no different from other cars, and they need fresh fluid just like any other car would.

I like the 5000 mile change interval for direct injection engines like the SkyActiv. Fuel dilution is a concern.

Mazda’s SkyActiv transmission is very unique. It has a complicated torque converter/clutch pack setup. I like the idea of 30k fluid changes but most owners will never change it.

I like the 5000 mile change interval for direct injection engines like the SkyActiv. Fuel dilution is a concern.

Mazdas SkyActiv transmission is very unique. It has a complicated torque converter/clutch pack setup. I like the idea of 30k fluid changes but most owners will never change it.

Fuel dilution is only an issue if your fuel injectors are leaking. If your injectors are healthy, dilution will be minimal but it does happen particularly if you drive a lot in the city, so yes I agree that 5000 mile oil changes are optimal.

Fuel dilution is occurring on brand new DI engines. The Honda Earth Dreams 1.5 TGDI engine is notorious for fd. The SkyActiv engines do not dilute as much as others. It depends on the computer tune. Turbo engines have shown a increase in fd.

Fuel dilution is occurring on brand new DI engines. The Honda Earth Dreams 1.5 TGDI engine is notorious for fd. The SkyActiv engines do not dilute as much as others. It depends on the computer tune. Turbo engines have shown a increase in fd.

I definitely agree with you. Ideally you want some sort of german quality oil with detergents specifically designed for DI motors like Liqui Moly. A thicker oil once youre out of warranty will help too.

Turbo engines are known to cause more fuel dilution particularly at high RPM, where the ECU tunes the engine to run rich in order to protect the engine from the stress of the turbo. The new CX-9 with its stock tune limits boost to about 4500RPM because of this, and also because most owners do not rev their car any harder then that figure anyway.

I will say about FD however, that if you notice your oil level increasing after frequent city driving, your injector(s) are leaking causing excessive fuel contamination of your oil.

I mention a 50k trans fluid interval considering that you are towing. As long as you change the filter as well, it’s a reasonable mileage.

There’s no such thing as a “lifetime” transmission fluid. Although to a lesser extent, transmission fluid gets dirty like engine oil and eventually wears out needing replacement. Mazdas transmission design is no different from other cars, and they need fresh fluid just like any other car would.

Do you seriously think Mazda says it doesn't need changing for no reason?
Do you seriously think that Mazda recommends 5k-7.5k oil changes for no reason?
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...-Looking-For-Recommended-Oil-Brand-Type/page2

Back atcha!

Diluting tends to occur more often in these engines in colder temperatures and not allowing the engine to reach optimum operating temperature.

I have heard so much about the FD issues as well but I don't understand why it's specific to diesel engines
Does it have something to do with EGR?

I have heard so much about the FD issues as well but I don't understand why it's specific to diesel engines

No, its because of the direct injection design,meaning it is not limited to only Diesel engines, but really any engine with direct injection.

For one thing, diesel doesn't evaporate like gas does. Diesel is oil, once its mixed in with the engine oil, its there to stay, high temperature won't drive it off.

I think there was also an issue of intentional oversupply of diesel fuel as part of the DPF regeneration.

Back