2015 Mazda6 Valvetrain noise

alexseiji

I have noticed recently at 55K miles that my valvetrain has began to make more fluttering noises than it used to. Sometimes it even sounds like there is a bearing that is beginning to make noise (VVT actuator issues?) Anyone else havint similar issue or have had a similar issued that was repaired?

I have noticed recently at 55K miles that my valvetrain has began to make more fluttering noises than it used to. Sometimes it even sounds like there is a bearing that is beginning to make noise (VVT actuator issues?) Anyone else havint similar issue or have had a similar issued that was repaired?

two causes

1. Valvetrain noise from thin oil. As the mileage increases, you want to start using thicker oil.

Switch to a quality 5w30 or 40 oil like motul or shell rotella and the engine will quiet down

2. Noise from carbon buildup on intake valves

Are you experiencing an intake rumbling sound at low-rpm? At your mileage, Im sure you have some carbon buildup. If you have the intake ports cleaned at a reputable shop then the engine will sound better, restore some performance and fuel economy. The best way to limit the amount of carbon buildup is by doing full throttle pulls about once a week and limiting the amount of city driving you do.

I actually noticed something similar and at 60,000 miles I did my oil change with an oil flush from Liqui Moly. Even though I run Mobil 1 and change it every 7500 miles since I did the oil flush the engine has been a lot quieter at idle. During the flush I listened to the engine all 10 minutes and heard a distinct clack get louder and then disappear like something was cleaned (it was surprising!) I think every 30-60k it's worth getting the little passages cleaned up just so the oil can flow to everything properly. I would consider that or as mentioned a thicker oil, but stay in grade and consider a high mileage oil like Valvoline Maxlife Synpower to see if the noise gets better or worse. A lot of the tick you hear is actually the fuel injectors spraying at high psi too.

I actually noticed something similar and at 60,000 miles I did my oil change with an oil flush from Liqui Moly. Even though I run Mobil 1 and change it every 7500 miles since I did the oil flush the engine has been a lot quieter at idle. During the flush I listened to the engine all 10 minutes and heard a distinct clack get louder and then disappear like something was cleaned (it was surprising!) I think every 30-60k it's worth getting the little passages cleaned up just so the oil can flow to everything properly. I would consider that or as mentioned a thicker oil, but stay in grade and consider a high mileage oil like Valvoline Maxlife Synpower to see if the noise gets better or worse. A lot of the tick you hear is actually the fuel injectors spraying at high psi too.

- Correct, most of the sound you hear is in fact the injectors, but the engine will sound quieter and more smooth with a good quality thicker oil.

- I recommend changing the oil every 5000 miles if you do city driving, this way you wont need to clean out the passages very often.

- every occasional oil change, try using some shell rotella 5w40. Its not only a very high quality yet cheap oil, but it has detergents which will help keep your motor nice and clean.

- in Australia, the owners manual specified anywhere between 5w40 - 10w50 so dont be scared to use slightly thicker oil if you live in a hot climate or drive aggressively

-you said that you were listening to the idle for 10 minutes? The less you idle the better for your Engine. Its always best to just get in and start driving right away.

- liqui moly is a good oil, but if you want the best toughest oil for your car I recommend motul. Very, very good oil. I suggest you also avoid Mobil 1.

- Correct, most of the sound you hear is in fact the injectors, but the engine will sound quieter and more smooth with a good quality thicker oil.

- I recommend changing the oil every 5000 miles if you do city driving, this way you wont need to clean out the passages very often.
- every occasional oil change, try using some shell rotella 5w40. Its not only a very high quality yet cheap oil, but it has detergents which will help keep your motor nice and clean.
- in Australia, the owners manual specified anywhere between 5w40 - 10w50 so dont be scared to use slightly thicker oil if you live in a hot climate or drive aggressively
-you said that you were listening to the idle for 10 minutes? The less you idle the better for your Engine. Its always best to just get in and start driving right away.
- liqui moly is a good oil, but if you want the best toughest oil for your car I recommend motul. Very, very good oil. I suggest you also avoid Mobil 1.

I think you misunderstood my post. I used this product: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Secondly I was answering his question. I am satisfied with how my engine sounds and performs on Mobil 1 0W-20 including oil analysis. I've been on BITOG since 2002. I might change in the future, but it won't be a change of grade for my application and driving style. You might want to answer OPs post - I again have no concerns.

Back