dd123

:
Mazda protege-5 2002
on a tight budget, dont want a new car. looking for a used low mileage FWD car
Not a fan of turbo engine.. need previous generation
wondering which years are good....
I am in socal

thanks a lot

07 is 3.5 and 08 and beyond was bored out to 3.7.
Sweet spot for few issues will be 2008 - 2010. Newer than that seems to be hit or miss with issues.
Newer models they cut down on a lot of production costs particularly on the inside of the car so it seems like
there have been a lot of interior related complaints on newer models.
Also, don't go all wheel drive if you are in socal. Transfer case is exact same part number as Ford Edge. Edge is much lighter vehicle.
Plan on a transfer case every 40k miles if you get awd. They were plagued with both transfer case and rear differential issues for a long time. I think later models
they finally put a drain plug or something in the transfer case, but I still wouldn't go awd. You are just asking for problems.

Good luck!

07 is 3.5 and 08 and beyond was bored out to 3.7.
Sweet spot for few issues will be 2008 - 2010. Newer than that seems to be hit or miss with issues.
Newer models they cut down on a lot of production costs particularly on the inside of the car so it seems like
there have been a lot of interior related complaints on newer models.
Also, don't go all wheel drive if you are in socal. Transfer case is exact same part number as Ford Edge. Edge is much lighter vehicle.
Plan on a transfer case every 40k miles if you get awd. They were plagued with both transfer case and rear differential issues for a long time. I think later models
they finally put a drain plug or something in the transfer case, but I still wouldn't go awd. You are just asking for problems.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot,
I am not planning for AWD, I'd shoot for: 2008 - 2010. Also, keeping my other options open... May be cx-5..

I can fit 10 foot lumber in my CX-9. Can also put 2 adult bikes on top, 2 kids bikes and equipment in the back plus 4 people, lunch and then some. But it's a really heavy vehicle. If space is not needed, cx5 will get better gas mileage but you still gotta deal with turbo issues.

I can fit 10 foot lumber in my CX-9. Can also put 2 adult bikes on top, 2 kids bikes and equipment in the back plus 4 people, lunch and then some. But it's a really heavy vehicle. If space is not needed, cx5 will get better gas mileage but you still gotta deal with turbo issues.

thnx for the reply.
cx-5 is NA, not Turbo engine..

Last edited:
Back