OEM 19" weight??

SndChsr

:
2017 CX-5 GT
Hello folks,

My new rims and tires arrived today....well, one did because FedEx dropped the ball but that's another story. Rest are coming tomorrow. I've purchased 20" rims wrapped with 255/45/20 tires. This thing is pretty heavy and it worries me a little. The tires came pre-mounted on the wheels with TPMS pre-programmed. Basically ready to be thrown on the vehicle. Putting this new wheel on a weight scale, it comes in at just under 60lbs.

Does anyone have any weight specs on the OEM 2017 rims with tires? I wonder how much difference I'm looking at here and how much my fuel economy will suffer.

I've tried searching for this but no luck so far. Thanks for any help!

This subject came up when the 2017's started arriving but I haven't found the tread yet. IIRC the wheel/tire combo came in about 60 - 61 lbs. That's a bit heavier than for my 2016 which weighed in a 59.5 lbs when I put my winter tires on for the first time. I don't think you've hurt yourself from a weight standpoint.

That's awesome! I was a little worried that I may have added way too much weight. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!!

Hello folks,

My new rims and tires arrived today....well, one did because FedEx dropped the ball but that's another story. Rest are coming tomorrow. I've purchased 20" rims wrapped with 255/45/20 tires. This thing is pretty heavy and it worries me a little. The tires came pre-mounted on the wheels with TPMS pre-programmed. Basically ready to be thrown on the vehicle. Putting this new wheel on a weight scale, it comes in at just under 60lbs.

Does anyone have any weight specs on the OEM 2017 rims with tires? I wonder how much difference I'm looking at here and how much my fuel economy will suffer.

I've tried searching for this but no luck so far. Thanks for any help!

nice choice on the rim size. are you sure they will fit? did you check offsets?

could you post a pic of your car when they're on?

The stock toyo tires are 29'ish pounds. My new wheels are 23 pounds so that came out to about 52-53 pounds each wheel. So with that I'm guessing the OEM wheels are 30-31 pounds.

You're welcome. Once you get your new wheels/tires installed, can you get a weight on the OE ones to confirm what I've told you?

nice choice on the rim size. are you sure they will fit? did you check offsets?

could you post a pic of your car when they're on?

According to the shop I ordered from, they should fit. I also referred to the wheel/tire guide posted in this forum which also seems to confirm that these will fit. When ordering the set, I asked the sales person multiple times that these will fit and he confirmed. The OEM offset is 45. The offset on the ones I had purchased is 42.

The car gets a thorough wash on the weekend and then off to a photoshoot :)

Pre-programmed and ready to be thrown on? No, you have to register these new IDs from TPMS pressure sensors if they're Mazda TPMS compatible:

Wheel Unit ID Registration

That's what their website claims anyway. Here's a quote:
"TPMS valves programmed for your vehicle TPMS valves programmed for your vehicle +CA$51.99"

But I definitely agree with you on registering the ID's. I was aware of that. In my original post, I meant that the wheels are ready to be mounted. Registering the ID's is something to be done by me.

That's what their website claims anyway. Here's a quote:
"TPMS valves programmed for your vehicle TPMS valves programmed for your vehicle +CA$51.99"

But I definitely agree with you on registering the ID's. I was aware of that. In my original post, I meant that the wheels are ready to be mounted. Registering the ID's is something to be done by me.
I guess if a tire/wheel company says "TPMS valves programmed for your vehicle + CA$51.99" which is confusing as there's nothing can be "programmed" on the TPMS pressure sensor with the valve stem other than picking up the correct one compatible to 2017 Mazda CX-5 TPMS. Hope they will give you an instruction to register these new IDs like a responsible tire company such as the Tire Rack. :)

I guess if a tire/wheel company says "TPMS valves programmed for your vehicle + CA$51.99" which is confusing as there's nothing can be "programmed" on the TPMS pressure sensor with the valve stem other than picking up the correct one compatible to 2017 Mazda CX-5 TPMS. Hope they will give you an instruction to register these new IDs like a responsible tire company such as the Tire Rack. :)

Thanks yrwei52! I bought 4 mounted wheels/tires and yet according to FedEx, there are 6 packages on the way, 4 being 60lbs (makes sense since that's what the wheel/tire combo weighs), and 2 packages at 30lbs. Now, I have no idea what goes into registering those new ID's, but if it's PDF instructions that had to be split up into 2 packages at 30lbs each, I have some reading to do tonight (scratch)

Thanks for the insight. BTW, I got my stuff from https://pmctire.com/en
I'll report once these puppies have been mounted!

Thanks yrwei52! I bought 4 mounted wheels/tires and yet according to FedEx, there are 6 packages on the way, 4 being 60lbs (makes sense since that's what the wheel/tire combo weighs), and 2 packages at 30lbs. Now, I have no idea what goes into registering those new ID's, but if it's PDF instructions that had to be split up into 2 packages at 30lbs each, I have some reading to do tonight (scratch)

Thanks for the insight. BTW, I got my stuff from https://pmctire.com/en
I'll report once these puppies have been mounted!
That 2 extra 30-lb packages are really suspicious. May be they shipped you 2 temporary spares as a free gift? ;)

Please keep us posted about these 2 additional packages and post some pictures of your new 20" tire/rims for us. Giving us the brand name on tires and rims would be appreciated too.

That 2 extra 30-lb packages are really suspicious. May be they shipped you 2 temporary spares as a free gift? ;)

Please keep us posted about these 2 additional packages and post some pictures of your new 20" tire/rims for us. Giving us the brand name on tires and rims would be appreciated too.

So everything arrived yesterday. No extra 30lbs packages though in my email tracking they were clearly listed. Strange. My wheels were mounted late yesterday and DANG.....This thing looks awesome. Already got some inquires from other CX5 owners at red lights. The front desk person at Costco (where I had them mounted) took pics for her husband as they are also looking for a set. Tempted to post pics but taking pics of a dirty car is a sacrilege.

Tomorrow she gets a wash. I've found a decent spot for a shoot so it's all set. Also tomorrow, I will weigh the OEM's to confirm actual weight of the 19's.

Here it is folks! Everything is mounted and besides TPMS warning still being lit up despite having gone through the process of registering the new ID's. But I can deal with that later.
I'm posting only a few pics here, as I'll post the rest in the "Show me your wheels" as well as "2017 Pics" thread. Mind you, these are quick pics. I've scouted for locations today and found a couple where I'll do a proper photo shoot with proper lighting.

The wheels are RWC MHK80
Size: 20/8.5 ET42

Tyres: Falken Azenis - 255/45 R20

All purchased at www.pmctire.com/en

IMG_20170923_0238.jpg

IMG_20170923_0185.jpg

IMG_20170923_0242.jpg

IMG_20170923_0009.jpg

IMG_20170923_0191.jpg

IMG_20170923_0069.jpg

Thanks again to all who helped and answered my questions!

Last edited:
Looks good and fitment looks spot on!

As far as fitment/offsets goes, as long as you're on stock suspension, I think the bump stops will prevent the fenders from rubbing the tires. So you could probably go for a lower offset and poke the tires even more and not have issues, as long as you're on stock suspension. Of course I would never recommend fitment like that. This one on the other hand looks really nice.

Looks good and fitment looks spot on!

As far as fitment/offsets goes, as long as you're on stock suspension, I think the bump stops will prevent the fenders from rubbing the tires. So you could probably go for a lower offset and poke the tires even more and not have issues, as long as you're on stock suspension. Of course I would never recommend fitment like that. This one on the other hand looks really nice.

Thanks Finch. Yea, I wanted a bigger offset however all the rims that came with one didn't really appeal to me whereas these ones somehow offered exactly what I wanted, styling wise.

These seem to be pretty flush with the wheel wells, but I'm thinking of adding 15mm spacers for a bit wider stance. I think 15mm would be the sweet spot. I've called the service dept of my dealership to get their take on spacers and warranty and got a pretty diplomatic answer. I paraphrase:

"Spacers will not by themselves void your warranty, BUT if your wheel bearings have any issues and we determine they were caused by the spacers then the cost of repair will be incurred by you".

Another words, if your bearings go, we can imply it was the result of putting spacers on, and you pay. Because really, it's your word against ours!

So here I am, still debating it. I know that the odds of the bearings actually failing prematurely are very slim and second to none, but if anything else happens to them and I have spacers on, the dealer will just blame them and ask me to fork over the money.

Thanks Finch. Yea, I wanted a bigger offset however all the rims that came with one didn't really appeal to me whereas these ones somehow offered exactly what I wanted, styling wise.

These seem to be pretty flush with the wheel wells, but I'm thinking of adding 15mm spacers for a bit wider stance. I think 15mm would be the sweet spot. I've called the service dept of my dealership to get their take on spacers and warranty and got a pretty diplomatic answer. I paraphrase:

"Spacers will not by themselves void your warranty, BUT if your wheel bearings have any issues and we determine they were caused by the spacers then the cost of repair will be incurred by you".

Another words, if your bearings go, we can imply it was the result of putting spacers on, and you pay. Because really, it's your word against ours!

So here I am, still debating it. I know that the odds of the bearings actually failing prematurely are very slim and second to none, but if anything else happens to them and I have spacers on, the dealer will just blame them and ask me to fork over the money.
I'd do 5mm spacers max. Anything more than that and you will need extended wheel studs. Also going wider and wider is going to put strain on your bearings and will soften your suspension. Honestly, I'd leave it the way it is and just enjoy the car.

I'd do 5mm spacers max. Anything more than that and you will need extended wheel studs. Also going wider and wider is going to put strain on your bearings and will soften your suspension. Honestly, I'd leave it the way it is and just enjoy the car.

Come to think of it, you have a good point. 5mm would be sufficient but the other side of me says that it should be left as is. I'll give it some thought.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Back