Front bumper dent

danveb

:
Mazda CX-5 GT
Hello guys, I just got a bad dent on the front bumper cover of my new 2017 CX-5 GT after hitting a plastic box on the carpool lane of the freeway at 65mi/h. Im wondering if I should contact Mazda body shop to replace the front bumper plastic cover or try to fix at a local joint. Im open to comments and suggestions, thanks!

Attachments

• 7217DD91-5113-470B-9E7D-8B4609F40D47.jpeg
    7217DD91-5113-470B-9E7D-8B4609F40D47.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 3,279
There's a hole in my front bumper cover. Metal was flying out of the back of someone's pickup. Better it hit that then the windshield. Punched a hole right into it.

At this point I've just lived with it, but eventually want to replace the piece.

Hello guys, I just got a bad dent on the front bumper cover of my new 2017 CX-5 GT after hitting a plastic box on the carpool lane of the freeway at 65mi/h. Im wondering if I should contact Mazda body shop to replace the front bumper plastic cover or try to fix at a local joint. Im open to comments and suggestions, thanks!

attachment.php
I believe most body shops in Mazda dealer are similar to independent body shops other than they should use factory paint and OEM parts but the paint may be from the same USA source used by independent body shop. You should check the reputation of these body shops, and be aware many dealers outsource their body work to independent body shops.

Service King is a good body shop with life-time warranty to their work covered by nation-wide network. You can ask them to use Mazda paint and OEM parts if you feel that's the way you want to. But there should be nothing available from aftermarket body parts at this time as the 2017 CX-5 is still too new.

Service King is a good body shop with life-time warranty to their work covered by nation-wide network. You can ask them to use Mazda paint and OEM parts if you feel that's the way you want to. But there should be nothing available from aftermarket body parts at this time as the 2017 CX-5 is still too new.

All the Service Kings in my region all had good reviews. The quality is top notch from personal experience. Best of all they have a robust network.

You should have full coverage since it is new, even with a $500 deductible, it might be worth giving your insurance company call since it should not raise your rates as it is a not your fault event.

All the Service Kings in my region all had good reviews. The quality is top notch from personal experience. Best of all they have a robust network.

Very happy with the work I got done with Service King. They came in under quote, and the work was top notch.

It's a relief to have such a great community! And thanks a lot for all the feedback. Now, I'm considering either an independent body shop around my area as well as Service King or Mazda. I'm waiting for a quote my Mazda dealer as we speak. They let me know I'd have to replace the whole front bumper instead of that plastic strip on the bottom. I shall let you guys know what comes up next. By the way, my deductible is $1,000...

Is there a Service King that you guys would recommend around Orange County (Cerritos or Fullerton preferred) or LA County?

Your bumper isnt damaged - only the small plastic piece underneath is damaged.
My guess is if only that is replaceable - MZD dealer will ask you for about 400 or 300. I recommend not even opening an issue with your insurer. Open a case only when you truly think it can cost above 1500 dollars. Till 1500 its not worth it.
You may have to use insurance for something big and a couple of claims is all it takes for an insurance to flag you out and you are buying a new one. So wait - evaluate and dont tell any shop you have insurance. Tell them its out of pocket - make any story.

Your bumper isnt damaged - only the small plastic piece underneath is damaged.
Kaps are you sure about that? I can see big line dented scratch on the side of the bumper.

But I agree with you on insurance claim. I'd even put up to $2,000 repair bill instead of $1,500 not to get insurance involved with $1,000 deductible.

That black unpainted section (OP's pic )cannot be "repaired". Why? because its an unpainted section. It wouldn't look right.

Options include:

-Replace with new whole bumper.
-Install an aftermarket lip bumper cover that covers that lower section.
-Replace with Used whole bumper like this :https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I can't see any damage to the black painted portion of the bumper, but it does look like its been pressed in a bit, which could compromise the paint when/if it was able to be pushed out, providing the unpainted bottom portion of the bumper could be removed.

I think there is a parking space stripe showing up in the reflection that can be mistaken for damage (you can see the guys shoes next to the paint stripe on the ground).

I finally decided take my car to a local auto body shop to fix the dent for... $40. I guess I could've waited for the Mazda dealer to quote but it could've cost above $800 if I wanted a new bumper. so i just desisted from that option. After taking it to the shop it took about 1-2 hours max to get if serviced. Now, the only noticeable aspect is the big scratch on the lower end of the bumper, but I guess it's something I can live with (hopefully). These guys did a really good job I admit. I'll share a couple pictures with you guys. Let me know what you think! I really hope I don't come across a plastic box in the middle of the freeway again...

20170921_174407950.jpg20170921_174406126.jpg

Wow that's so unfortunate and you just got yours not long ago! But I can't help to envy your front parking sensors in the picture ⋯ ;)
Nearly got that too! Collision happened the second day I got my unit in less than 24 hours. My family calls my CX-5 "Tony" for Tony Stark because it resembles the color of iron-man. [emoji1]
Yeah front parking sensors are very useful specially the length of our hood is longer than most SUV/CUV. Sometimes we also call it a crossover.

Now I see where it is at, that is hardly noticeable and a little road dirt, you wont even notice it.

I really hate it when people leave they waste on the freeway for other to hit and clean up...

Sorry that happened.. Does Not seem like anything last long before it get hit, scratched or dented anymore..

and here I was thinking I was having a bad day since I got rock chips on front bumper ... : /

Back