Exhaust Modifications

I tried looking for some dyno charts for the 2.5L engine but didn’t find much. Orange virus claims on their website that you can gain 20-30hp from their tune with a completely stock engine using 91 octane fuel. Honestly, I find that a little hard to believe unless they tune the ignition/fuel timing super aggressively, but that number is totally 100% accessible with a reasonable, not over the top aggressive tune as long as you delete your cats.

What I’m trying to say is that, with a cat delete and 91 octane fuel, 20+ hp gains are totally reasonable and you wouldn’t need to get an overly aggressive tune to achieve that.

In the video, keep in mind that the car is a Mazda 6 which is another reason why it looks quick.

Here in the US it is illegal, and considered a felony with thousands of dollars in fines to tamper with or remove the catalytic convertor.

Here in the US it is illegal, and considered a felony with thousands of dollars in fines to tamper with or remove the catalytic convertor.

Actually don't crackheads steel catalytic convertors to sell their metal or something like that?

Actually don't crackheads steel catalytic convertors to sell their metal or something like that?

Platinum is the catalyst in a catalytic converter, but there are other metals as well, including palladium, rhodium, copper, nickel, cerium, iron, and manganese.

With the advent of battery operated metal saws, it becomes very easy for the thieves.:(

If you put it that way, then the gains that GJ are talking about, are very much within reach with just a cat delete and a tune.

So GJ, give it a go and let us know how it works out for you.

I will try to get it all done by this week and report back when I get the ECU tune.

here is another video with a more aggressive tune. the first video I showed you was just a base tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEQw9Cf-6VY

not going to lie, thats quick. and that was WITH tire spin and only an intake which barely gains any power. with a cat delete and that same tune, this would be a properly quick car.

OVT has been discussed here before, and the conversations got quite heated. Mat (OVT) eventually got run off by a member here that doesn't post at all anymore. The threads could be dug up if one so desired.

But, a lot of the results from the tune were conjecture and feeling, nothing rooted in deep analysis. The only dyno and ECU mappnig charts that we saw were from Mat, and some posters questioned their validity. But those that have/had the tune (Moderator Chris_Top_her, and the guy Dave who recently sold his CX5 for an S4) claimed the car ran/pulled better, despite lack of physical evidence. Unobtanium also drove Dave's CX5, and he said it did feel different, but nothing that was really quantifiable.

YMMV

edit- to add Dave also had the racing beat muffler and a cold air intake he modified from his mazda 6.

I have Dave's parts now. The heat shield definitely works. I'm thinking of sneaking on an OVT tune in sport mode only and 93 octane (I could prob swing it myself,but I trust Mat at OVT).

For the rest of the thread and power gains,the results are easily feasible. The 2.5L is a big 4 cylinder,and they could
Squeeze 250hp NA out of it if they really wanted,safely as well. But,that would require premium fuel and less MPG,not what most really want in this price frame or category. However,they could easily get 215-225hp and achieve what they want,and
I so wish they would've as the car could really use it IMO...Oh well...

Nelson- I won't deny it's possible with the tune. But I'm not surprised a lot of folks want hard evidence before spending their dough.

Isn't the new 911 GT3 pushing 500hp out of a NA 4.0L inline 6? 125 hp per liter = deliciousness. High winding engine = bliss. But it's a Porsche, so...

Nelson- I won't deny it's possible with the tune. But I'm not surprised a lot of folks want hard evidence before spending their dough.

Isn't the new 911 GT3 pushing 500hp out of a NA 4.0L inline 6? 125 hp per liter = deliciousness. High winding engine = bliss. But it's a Porsche, so...

Hey,I understand why folks are skeptical,I really do,but I've seen it time and time again with my own eyes,so no worries here. Hell,I've pushed 200hp to the wheels out of a little 1.6L NA motor and turned it 9k+ rpm on the daily for 30k+ miles with zero problems. Honda was pushing 100 hp per liter over 15 years ago in stock form...

20hp isn't jack. As stated,it should've been done in the first place. I wish OVT hadn't been ran off as I'd take him up on his free tune offer he posted right before leaving and post the results.

Hey,I understand why folks are skeptical,I really do,but I've seen it time and time again with my own eyes,so no worries here. Hell,I've pushed 200hp to the wheels out of a little 1.6L NA motor and turned it 9k+ rpm on the daily for 30k+ miles with zero problems. Honda was pushing 100 hp per liter over 15 years ago in stock form...

20hp isn't jack. As stated,it should've been done in the first place. I wish OVT hadn't been ran off as I'd take him up on his free tune offer he posted right before leaving and post the results.

Yes, but you are missing a key point here. At what RPM does the little 1.6 make max torque, and how much of it? This is where the 2.5 really shines. Its so usuable during daiy driving.

Yes, but you are missing a key point here. At what RPM does the little 1.6 make max torque, and how much of it? This is where the 2.5 really shines. It’s so usuable during daiy driving.

What point am I missing? I never said anything about the 1.6 compared to the 2.5L. Not trying to compare anything between the two. Honda motors don't make s*** for torque...

I'm looking at that video and yes it seems like it is quick, but if you look at the times, it looks like in 8 seconds reaches 60.

I'm looking at that video and yes it seems like it is quick, but if you look at the times, it looks like in 8 seconds reaches 60.

He mentioned that he had winter tires in the video. All the tire spin lost him a fair amount of time. Since he did not have enough traction, he was not able to brake-torque which would make the car even quicker still.

Unfortunately, cat delete is not possible for me, I'm in Cali. In two years, I will have to go for my first smog check.
I'm all for tuning the car, but the most I could do, is changing some of the mufflers.
On my last VW, I have deleted the small muffler, between the cat and the big muffler, and gave me some much nicer sound. It was a $40 mod.
I'm on CS springs, CS rear sway bar, custom(made by me) lower adjustable links, to adjust camber.

Unfortunately, cat delete is not possible for me, I'm in Cali. In two years, I will have to go for my first smog check.
I'm all for tuning the car, but the most I could do, is changing some of the mufflers.
On my last VW, I have deleted the small muffler, between the cat and the big muffler, and gave me some much nicer sound. It was a $40 mod.
I'm on CS springs, CS rear sway bar, custom(made by me) lower adjustable links, to adjust camber.

The muffler on this car is great Stuff, I dont want to remove it. It creates back-pressure which helps low rpm driving without being restrictive at all. I wouldnt remove the mid muffler (resonator) because that little bottle thing fine-tunes and exhaust sound while filtering out unwanted droning/frequencies. Sounds better with it in place. I would recommend putting back the resonator and see how that changes the exhaust note, it wont become any quieter but the sound will simply improve.

Why dont you do a cat delete and just put them back on in two years when its time for your smog test?

Here in Toronto, our emissions testing is very lenient, but most places will not pass you if youre fully catless unless you personally know the shop owner. They scan your car to ensure the cat is in a ready state, but they also stand behind your car while its idling to smell the exhaust which is an easy way to tell if the cars catted or not.

I am thinking of deleting the small second cat (which is before the larger main cat, right after the exhaust manifold) this is still illegal, but your car will pass emissions as long as that big main car is in place.

For my BMW, I removed the secondary cats and replaced the restrictive stock muffler with a magnaflow. Its a pretty decent way to get some sound and open up a few HP while still easily passing emissions. I got an emissions test with my secondaries removed because they dont look underneath the car here.

Oh, and another option for you would be to have a muffler shop weld two resonators where your muffler used to be with exhaust tips welded on the end. Worth every penny, you will love the sound!

Pretty happy with my Racing Beat muffler... sounds good to my ears and also fills in the rear spots better. I realize not really a performance upgrade at reported 2HP.

CX-5

I was also thinking that, the rear bumper needs some bigger exhaust tips.

how is the noise level with this muffler? any drone at low-rpm?

yea, no more then 1-2HP gain from replacing the muffler and you're not gonna feel much of a difference until you start to rev it hard. it's mainly just a sound gain.

this is why I am considering to delete my cats, because it will sound good without being way too loud, free up a fair amount of horses and it will sound good with the stock muffler while being quiet and providing backpressure at low RPM.

you can also delete the small second cat for a bit more sound while still passing emissions.

I don't really notice any droning... it is louder than stock in most occasions other than just cruising RPMs where sound is almost like stock.

Back