Exhaust Modifications

GJ-Molestor

Banned
:
2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual
If you are looking for more sound while actually freeing up some horsepower your best bet is to try deleting the second cat. if that is not loud enough for you, then a new axle-back works. alternatively, you can weld resonators behind your exhaust tips where your old muffler used to be for a great drone-free sound at a cheaper price.

here is a diagram of our exhaust system.

sy2kd4.gif

the WU-TWC (Warm-up Three-Way Converter) is inside the exhaust manifold, meaning you cannot remove the monitored cat unless you get aftermarket headers. this means that removing the exposed, unmonitored second cat will not cause any codes and your ECU can adjust to the mod on it's own within 500KM without the need for any sort of tune. this should open up a couple HP (or more, not sure how large this cat is) and will improve the sound without making it annoying. while you're underneath there, I would also recommend taking the factory mid-muffler/resonator and relocating it to underneath the rear passenger seats. DO NOT remove it unless you want an awful riced out honda farting sound.

260diy1.gif

this is a very simple yet effectively designed exhaust design and I personally think it sounds good without being too quiet like other stock exhaust systems.

one thing about resonators I will mention. resonators do exactly that - resonate your exhaust flow. this creates a turbulent flow - essentially a good type of backpressure that GAIN you a few ft/lb of torque. that's right, you will lose power if you delete your resonator unless you can fit an x-pipe (which is impossible due to our single pipe design)

Last edited:
I do not want to replace the stock muffler as well. I will be getting rid of the stock resonator and replacing it with a smaller one. I did that on my 2014 mazda 3 with the 2.5L engine and it sounds great. It's quiet as stock but has a deeper sportier tone when accelerating and there's no drone. Some people just take the resonator out and run a straight pipe, I'm not a fan of that because you get a raspy ricey sound at certain RPMs.

Here's the thread where I posted my mod, the pics won't show since photobucket won't host 3rd party anymore (for free accounts) and I have video sound clips somewhere in that thread.

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...d-stock-exhaust-resonator-12-vibrant-one.html

I do not want to replace the stock muffler as well. I will be getting rid of the stock resonator and replacing it with a smaller one. I did that on my 2014 mazda 3 with the 2.5L engine and it sounds great. It's quiet as stock but has a deeper sportier tone when accelerating and there's no drone. Some people just take the resonator out and run a straight pipe, I'm not a fan of that because you get a raspy ricey sound at certain RPMs.

Here's the thread where I posted my mod, the pics won't show since photobucket won't host 3rd party anymore (for free accounts) and I have video sound clips somewhere in that thread.

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...d-stock-exhaust-resonator-12-vibrant-one.html

Resonators are your friend. You never want to delete them.

If you were to replace a resonator on your car, it wouldve been best to put it underneath the rear passenger seats. Im not sure why mazda didnt put the resonator in the optimal, and typical location where everyone else places resonators.

This exhaust system does look super easy to mod though. Im going to replace the cats with a straight pipe and do an ECU tune :)

Borla makes a nice sounded catback exhaust for the current Mazda3. Not direct bolt on for CX-5 or Mazda6 though :(

It might not be an issue where you are, but deleting cats is illegal in the US and is a surefire way to fail state inspections. I don't know that the gains are enough to justify the possible penalties if you get caught, not to mention the fact that you have increased the toxic fumes coming out of the car. Unless you can get a turbo on it, I don't see the point of deleting a cat. As far as exhaust modifications for sound, Racing Beat has a good sounding exhaust that isn't too loud. Corksport has a very aggressive sounding exhaust as well.

It might not be an issue where you are, but deleting cats is illegal in the US and is a surefire way to fail state inspections. I don't know that the gains are enough to justify the possible penalties if you get caught, not to mention the fact that you have increased the toxic fumes coming out of the car. Unless you can get a turbo on it, I don't see the point of deleting a cat. As far as exhaust modifications for sound, Racing Beat has a good sounding exhaust that isn't too loud. Corksport has a very aggressive sounding exhaust as well.

My state doesn't even have inspections. Catless cars aplenty,including a few of mine. Go for it,but I wouldn't waste my time on a CX-5.

My state doesn't even have inspections. Catless cars aplenty,including a few of mine. Go for it,but I wouldn't waste my time on a CX-5.

That just means you won't fail inspections on your state, but deleting cats is still illegal because the EPA is not bound to a state. Whether or not someone will report a catless vehicle to the EPA is a different matter. In Texas, you cannot get a shop to delete a cat or install a part that removes a cat. It has to be a DIY job because the shops are scared of the hefty fines.

That just means you won't fail inspections on your state, but deleting cats is still illegal because the EPA is not bound to a state. Whether or not someone will report a catless vehicle to the EPA is a different matter. In Texas, you cannot get a shop to delete a cat or install a part that removes a cat. It has to be a DIY job because the shops are scared of the hefty fines.

Never said it wasn't illegal...Shops do it here all the time,hell they even will fab them up for you. You won't find a shop here that won't do it because the one down the block will... I've been pulled over before by a cop wanting to know what exhaust I had because "my car sounded amazing". s*** isn't policed here at all. Period.

All in all,it is a waste of damn time on a CX-5 though...

Last edited:
Never said it wasn't illegal...Shops do it here all the time,hell they even will fab them up for you. You won't find a shop here that won't do it because the one down the block will... I've been pulled over before by a cop wanting to know what exhaust I had because "my car sounded amazing". s*** isn't policed here at all. Period.

well, I was asking more for a Mazda 6, it makes sense to delete cats on that car.

I don't see why it is a waste of time on a CX-5. the 2.5L engine is so gutless and slow in the heavier crossover. with a 91 octane ecu tune and cat delete, you will get a 20-30 HP and ft/lb increase EASILY, putting your power output something in line with what the CX-5 shouldve had from the factory.

Makes sense that the shops don't care since there's no enforcement of the regulations there.

I agree that it is pointless on a CX-5, even on a Mazda6, especially on a small NA engine.

well, I was asking more for a Mazda 6, it makes sense to delete cats on that car.

I don't see why it is a waste of time on a CX-5. the 2.5L engine is so gutless and slow in the heavier crossover. with a 91 octane ecu tune and cat delete, you will get a 20-30 HP and ft/lb increase EASILY, putting your power output something in line with what the CX-5 shouldve had from the factory.

You will not get a 20-30 hp gain from a cat delete unless you can also increase airflow from the intake side. Most catalytic converters nowadays are not that restrictive.

You will not get a 20-30 hp gain from a cat delete unless you can also increase airflow from the intake side. Most catalytic converters nowadays are not that restrictive.

I meant WITH the ECU tune which makes your engine compatible with 91 octane, all together you will be seeing gains of 20+HP.

you said there is no point in tuning a small engine... isnt that the point? because it's a small engine and you want more power out of it, especially since that power is available for not much money at all? here is a video with JUST an ECU tune, not even a cat delete and it's already pretty quick. it looks far more peppy then before because of the 7000RPM redline. now imagine a cat delete on top of this, I think the car would break into 15 second quarter mile times. would be properly quick for a 4 cylinder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b01aSDqKpsY

I meant WITH the ECU tune which makes your engine compatible with 91 octane, all together you will be seeing gains of 20+HP.
If you're going all out with the tune, fully neglecting the fact that the CX-5/Mazda6 are family cars, then yeah sure, maybe you'll get 20+ hp with an intake, cat delete and very aggressive tune. I'm still a skeptic about getting 20+ hp from a cat delete and tune on the 2.5 engine. If you can show me verified dyno graphs showing gains like this, I would be a believer.

A racepipe with a cat delete gives maybe 10-15 hp on a Speed3 and that is on a car with a turbo already and runs 93 octane fuel. Pair that with a tune that turns up the boost and you can go past 20+ hp. The SkyActiv 2.5 engine though is still NA. Even if you put an aftermarket intake on it, there is no way for you to turn up the boost to take advantage of the extra airflow that the cat delete freed up. Which means, the only way to make more power is to increase timing or increase RPM, in other words a pretty aggressive tune. And at what cost to engine reliability? Don't get me wrong, I have no issues with people wanting to mod their car for power. I'm just saying, I don't think you will get 20+ hp on a cat delete and a tune.

you said there is no point in tuning a small engine... isnt that the point? because it's a small engine and you want more power out of it, especially since that power is available for not much money at all? here is a video with JUST an ECU tune, not even a cat delete and it's already pretty quick. it looks far more peppy then before because of the 7000RPM redline. now imagine a cat delete on top of this, I think the car would break into 15 second quarter mile times. would be properly quick for a 4 cylinder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b01aSDqKpsY
There's only so much power you can get from a relatively small NA engine that I don't think it is worth it. Again I am coming from the perspective that the CX-5 and Mazda6 are family cars.

The car in the video does look fast, almost hard to believe that is just a tune and an intake. Do they have dyno graphs showing the gains over stock?

Just FYI, Corksport is developing a turbo kit for the Mazda3/Mazda6 SkyActiv engines. That would probably be the best option if you really want more power.

I'd recommend a high-flow cat over a delete, if one can be found.

Of you could just remove it and gut it if you can't find or don't want to fab a straight pipe.

There's only so much power you can get from a relatively small NA engine that I don't think it is worth it. Again I am coming from the perspective that the CX-5 and Mazda6 are family cars.

Skyactiv tuning is a couple of years old now. Plenty of youtube vids and dyno sheets out there. Back in 2015 a skyactiv 2.0 with SRI and 91 octane tune gained gobs of power. See post #1 here http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...us-tuned-gen-3-skyacitv-2-0-dyno-results.html

One way to look at it is Mazda took a 2.5l 200hp engine and detuned it to 185hp for fuel efficiency and long life and then applied high compression safety checks.

Skyactiv tuning is a couple of years old now. Plenty of youtube vids and dyno sheets out there. Back in 2015 a skyactiv 2.0 with SRI and 91 octane tune gained gobs of power. See post #1 here http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...us-tuned-gen-3-skyacitv-2-0-dyno-results.html
I have not been following the tuning for SkyActiv engines as much, thanks for the link. I saw some dyno graphs from the tuner on the first page, but nothing more after having gone through 9 pages. I was hoping to find dyno graphs from customers themselves and not just from the tuner. Most just give a review in text and all of them seem to like the tune, so at least that's good.

One way to look at it is Mazda took a 2.5l 200hp engine and detuned it to 185hp for fuel efficiency and long life and then applied high compression safety checks.
If you put it that way, then the gains that GJ are talking about, are very much within reach with just a cat delete and a tune.

So GJ, give it a go and let us know how it works out for you.

If you're going all out with the tune, fully neglecting the fact that the CX-5/Mazda6 are family cars, then yeah sure, maybe you'll get 20+ hp with an intake, cat delete and very aggressive tune. I'm still a skeptic about getting 20+ hp from a cat delete and tune on the 2.5 engine. If you can show me verified dyno graphs showing gains like this, I would be a believer.

A racepipe with a cat delete gives maybe 10-15 hp on a Speed3 and that is on a car with a turbo already and runs 93 octane fuel. Pair that with a tune that turns up the boost and you can go past 20+ hp. The SkyActiv 2.5 engine though is still NA. Even if you put an aftermarket intake on it, there is no way for you to turn up the boost to take advantage of the extra airflow that the cat delete freed up. Which means, the only way to make more power is to increase timing or increase RPM, in other words a pretty aggressive tune. And at what cost to engine reliability? Don't get me wrong, I have no issues with people wanting to mod their car for power. I'm just saying, I don't think you will get 20+ hp on a cat delete and a tune.

The car in the video does look fast, almost hard to believe that is just a tune and an intake. Do they have dyno graphs showing the gains over stock?

I tried looking for some dyno charts for the 2.5L engine but didnt find much. Orange virus claims on their website that you can gain 20-30hp from their tune with a completely stock engine using 91 octane fuel. Honestly, I find that a little hard to believe unless they tune the ignition/fuel timing super aggressively, but that number is totally 100% accessible with a reasonable, not over the top aggressive tune as long as you delete your cats.

What Im trying to say is that, with a cat delete and 91 octane fuel, 20+ hp gains are totally reasonable and you wouldnt need to get an overly aggressive tune to achieve that.

In the video, keep in mind that the car is a Mazda 6 which is another reason why it looks quick.

OVT has been discussed here before, and the conversations got quite heated. Mat (OVT) eventually got run off by a member here that doesn't post at all anymore. The threads could be dug up if one so desired.

But, a lot of the results from the tune were conjecture and feeling, nothing rooted in deep analysis. The only dyno and ECU mappnig charts that we saw were from Mat, and some posters questioned their validity. But those that have/had the tune (Moderator Chris_Top_her, and the guy Dave who recently sold his CX5 for an S4) claimed the car ran/pulled better, despite lack of physical evidence. Unobtanium also drove Dave's CX5, and he said it did feel different, but nothing that was really quantifiable.

YMMV

edit- to add Dave also had the racing beat muffler and a cold air intake he modified from his mazda 6.

Last edited:
Back