Redemption

I get 22MPG overtaking everyone and practically racing through traffic in my 6 cylinder BMW, so your old 2 mile trip sounded pretty intense I will admit.

Punch it out of the complex to merge with traffic. Slam the brakes for the light. Punch it to get across the street before it turns red again. 1 more traffic light. Another one after that turn. Yeah, it sucked for mpg, but my mpg didn't really improve much when I worked a few shifts a town away, either. Regardless, it's likely I will keep my CX5 gas burner, now, though. I cannot justify doing the deed on the new CX5-D at this juncture, given the massive improvement my current vehicle seems to have made in delivering economy.

Well yeah there is that.

Coupled with getting 3mpg under rating on road-trips, I feel that getting 22.5mpg with about 50/50 mixed highway/city was crap. It's not like I ONLY went to work...I used to hit a gym about 13 miles away 5 times a week...got the same 22.5-23.5mpg.

My old 2016.5 diesel would only do mid 30s in city driving but this new one easily does mid 40s. I've done one long trip and it was well into the 50s so I'm perfectly satisfied with fuel consumption with it. I never struggle with the phone connection either.

My old 2016.5 diesel would only do mid 30s in city driving but this new one easily does mid 40s. I've done one long trip and it was well into the 50s so I'm perfectly satisfied with fuel consumption with it. I never struggle with the phone connection either.

Is that mpg, or Imperial?

Punch it out of the complex to merge with traffic. Slam the brakes for the light. Punch it to get across the street before it turns red again. 1 more traffic light. Another one after that turn. Yeah, it sucked for mpg, but my mpg didn't really improve much when I worked a few shifts a town away, either. Regardless, it's likely I will keep my CX5 gas burner, now, though. I cannot justify doing the deed on the new CX5-D at this juncture, given the massive improvement my current vehicle seems to have made in delivering economy.

Not gonna lie, a tall, bloated lumbering crossover just doesnt make sense for the sort of driving you do, constantly stopping and going aggressively like that. You cant expect good figures from the engine because its simply strained to move the heavier crossover. In the 6 Im getting 28MPG in mostly city driving.

You're killing me Anchorman. I've been waiting since March for the diesel to come to the US. No news whatsoever since May is making me anxious. And I wasn't planning to buy one the moment they arrive. Thought I could be patient and wait for some discount.

Not gonna lie, a tall, bloated lumbering crossover just doesn’t make sense for the sort of driving you do, constantly stopping and going aggressively like that. You can’t expect good figures from the engine because it’s simply strained to move the heavier crossover. In the 6 I’m getting 28MPG in mostly city driving.

Brother...the thing weighs 3500#. My 4400# Jeep Grand Cherokee got good mileage (compared to EPA rating) on my commutes. It's even more brick-like.

Also, I am amused by the "engine is strained" bit there. Today you say that, but back in the 1960's, the CX5 could have given competition to a 302ci Camaro Z28 0-60 and through the 1/4 mile. Wild, isn't it?

Brother...the thing weighs 3500#. My 4400# Jeep Grand Cherokee got good mileage (compared to EPA rating) on my commutes. It's even more brick-like.

Also, I am amused by the "engine is strained" bit there. Today you say that, but back in the 1960's, the CX5 could have given competition to a 302ci Camaro Z28 0-60 and through the 1/4 mile. Wild, isn't it?

Your Cherokee has an 8 speed transmission which helps in the city, but then again the trans IS tuned by Dodge...

Times have changed in the last 50 odd-years quite a lot. Theres a reason why all of Mazdas competitors dont offer a 2L engine for their crossovers, let alone their sedans...hell even the Mazda 6 is 2.5L only here...

Times have changed in the last 50 odd-years quite a lot. There’s a reason why all of Mazdas competitors don’t offer a 2L engine for their crossovers, let alone their sedans...hell even the Mazda 6 is 2.5L only here...

The Hyundais come with 2.0L engines. Imagine that. You really need to consider stop posting all of your nonsense...

Your Cherokee has an 8 speed transmission which helps in the city, but then again the trans IS tuned by Dodge...

Times have changed in the last 50 odd-years quite a lot. There’s a reason why all of Mazdas competitors don’t offer a 2L engine for their crossovers, let alone their sedans...hell even the Mazda 6 is 2.5L only here...

No, it was older, 5 speed. Plenty of mazda competitors offer 2.5l and smaller engines.

Uhh...making stuff up there???

Last tank was 25.6, including a fair amount of idling. Seems my commute is perfect. 50 to 65mph. When I get on the freeway mpg still plummets though. About 200mi into this tank, 27.7mpg.

Back