My Thoughts on a 2017 CX-5 Touring

Until you press the “luxury” brake in the 2017 model and realize you miss your 2014... plus they’ve softened the suspension on their cars for what, that fourth time already?

But I digress. Mazda has come a long way these few last years.

First time here for softening suspension

⋯ Man...If I hadn't seen more and more 2017's here out on the road that reinforced my thinking that they are butt ugly, especially that front end and no swoop, I might be persuaded.
Somehow I have exact same feeling like you against the look of 2017 CX-5⋯ The more I see the 2017's, the more I appreciate the front end and side swoop found on my 2016's! :)

Styling is always going to be a subjective thing. I love the look of our 2017, especially in the Soul Red. We seriously considered a CR-V but glad we decided to go with the CX-5. Just drives a little nicer and definitely looks a lot better than the CR-V. There's a lot of subtle detail to the design of the front end that you notice more each time you walk past it. I like the look of the previous gen CX-5 (had a 2013 before) but prefer the new one.

Until you press the “luxury” brake in the 2017 model and realize you miss your 2014... plus they’ve softened the suspension on their cars for what, that fourth time already?

But I digress. Mazda has come a long way these few last years.

Have you actually driven one for any significant amount of time?

Ongoing refinement

Yes, can't say I have spent much time in a 2016.5 CX-5 but compared to my 2014 GT, the difference is noticeable. One great test is to put music on. Turn the volume to 10 (with all other settings stock) and get out of the car and close the door while leaving the music on (with all windows up!). If you do that in the 2014 car, you will notice that you can hear the music very easily. In fact, you can barely tell the difference between being in the car and being out of the car. Do the same thing in the 2017 and the difference is huge.

Excellent review.

I always look for a quieter ride, but your throttle mapping/response points make it the most desirable change from previous gen.

Thanks for this summary.

Yes, can't say I have spent much time in a 2016.5 CX-5 but compared to my 2014 GT, the difference is noticeable. One great test is to put music on. Turn the volume to 10 (with all other settings stock) and get out of the car and close the door while leaving the music on (with all windows up!). If you do that in the 2014 car, you will notice that you can hear the music very easily. In fact, you can barely tell the difference between being in the car and being out of the car. Do the same thing in the 2017 and the difference is huge.

That's a good test, except I wouldn't assume that "10" is calibrated between the two.

(iagree)

Back