Serpentine Belt snapped at 50k miles?!?

:
2014 CX-5 GS AWD
So last oil change I did on the cx5, I inspected the belts and they looked fine for now. No real cracks but they were starting to look whethered but nothing to be alarmed about. And 4K later it snapped on the way to work. Limped it there, got my parts delivered to me and I put the belt on. It looks like it was under great force and just ripped apart. Is this too premature for a belt failure?

So last oil change I did on the cx5, I inspected the belts and they looked fine for now. No real cracks but they were starting to look whethered but nothing to be alarmed about. And 4K later it snapped on the way to work. Limped it there, got my parts delivered to me and I put the belt on. It looks like it was under great force and just ripped apart. Is this too premature for a belt failure?

Yours would be the first one that I have seen reported here.

Did you get a chance to spin everything by hand before you put the new belt on to make sure all of the belted items were turning free?

Yup. Ac clutch engaged and disengaged was easy to spin and alternator pulley was easy as well. The hyudraulic tensioner was bone dry too. I looked at the belt again and it has minuscule cracking in it so I guess I can attribute it to that.

Yup. Ac clutch engaged and disengaged was easy to spin and alternator pulley was easy as well. The hyudraulic tensioner was bone dry too. I looked at the belt again and it has minuscule cracking in it so I guess I can attribute it to that.

Read that Toyota owners experienced leaking tensioners. Prompted me to inspect and the CX-5 was fine but my Mazda6 was leaking a bit. Got it replaced under warranty. Everybody any make and model should really inspect their (hydraulic) tensioners.

Read that Toyota owners experienced leaking tensioners. Prompted me to inspect and the CX-5 was fine but my Mazda6 was leaking a bit. Got it replaced under warranty. Everybody any make and model should really inspect their (hydraulic) tensioners.

I recall a few months ago another forum member discovered his was leaking as well. Fixed under warranty. I suspect these are rather generic parts that some supplier sells to several manufacturers.

Belts need to be removed, and flipped inside-out, to check for cracks. You can't tell by looking at the outside.

I recall a few months ago another forum member discovered his was leaking as well. Fixed under warranty. I suspect these are rather generic parts that some supplier sells to several manufacturers.

Yes same supplier between Toyota and Mazda is possible. Here's Madar's old pic of his.

attachment.php

Belts need to be removed, and flipped inside-out, to check for cracks. You can't tell by looking at the outside.

Even new belts can crack. It happens although rare. All it takes is just one weak spot to give. OP should check his tensioner too.

Back