Used 2016 CX-5 GT

Yea, we won't flame you for buying a Honda. Good luck with it!

Huh that went an interesting direction. Can't fault you for going new over used.

Enjoy your new car :)

I do agree that the EX trim is the bang for the buck trim in the CRV line. I believe you would pay less for a 2017 CX-5 Touring though, compared to a CRV EX. Anyway, it looks like Android Auto was the deciding factor here. I don't care about Android Auto or Apple Carplay, but Mazda lost a sale here because of not having that feature. So Mazda, you should make it available asap.

Nice post Yrwei. Except you can't really factor in the whole looks thing. So you may get a few more features with the EX... but then you have to LOOK at it every day. I mean... do CRV people look back at their cars, after parking, like many of us do because they just look so damn good sitting there?

(silly)(hah) BWAHAHAHA I'm only teasing.

Last edited:
Huh that went an interesting direction. Can't fault you for going new over used.

Enjoy your new car :)
Although this's only a single case, but Mazda should study this as why another ex-Mazda owner left Mazda, hence contributes lowering the customer retention rate which is already low. And this's not a case because there's nothing to offer to him from Mazda. He'd been considering a CX-5 and preferred better equipped CR-V than better handling CX-5. As I've said many times before, Mazda North American Operations can't keep deleting many nice features, which actually are available in other regions on Mazda products, to US customers. MNAO should understand many potential car buyers want more features even with a little higher price, just like this case here.

I'll list features between 2017 Mazda CX-5 Touring and Honda CR-V EX, just like the OP facing the choice between the two, then it's very easy to understand why he went an "interesting" direction. This's not just going for new over used, as the OP could have got a new CX-5 Touring for about the same price or even less. Especially he owned a Mazda CX-9 before and had been shopping for a CX-5 at first and almost got one.

BTW, Honda SensingTM suite which is standard on CR-V EX is equivalent to CX-5's optional Touring i-ActivSense Package without auto-dimming rearview mirror and rain-sensing wipers.

2017 Mazda CX-5 Touring said:
2017 Mazda CX-5 Touring - $26,855 MSRP w/Destination Charge
Includes the following features in addition to or in place of CX-5 Sport:
Leatherette seats with Lux Suede inserts
6-way power-adjustable drivers seat with manual lumbar support
6-way manual front passenger seat with seat height adjusted
Heated front seats with 3-level adjustment
Dual-zone automatic climate control with pollen filter
Auto-Leveling headlights
Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring
Rear Cross Traffic Alert
Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry System
AM/FM/MP3-compatible audio system with automatic level control and 6 speakers
Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
Dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors
40/20/40 split one-touch fold-down and reclining rear seatback with fold-down center armrest
Rear USB ports (2)
Rear air conditioning vents
Rear privacy glass

Optional PREFERRED EQUIPMENT PACKAGE - $780 MSRP
Auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink
Automatic on/off headlights
Rain-sensing variable-intermittent windshield wipers
Bose 10-Speaker audio sound system with Centerpoint2 and AudioPilot2
Mazda Navigation System
Power sliding-glass moonroof with one-touch open feature and interior sunshade
Power Rear Liftgate

Optional i-ACTIVSENSE PACKAGE - $625 MSRP
High Beam Control
Lane Departure Warning with Lane-keep Assist
Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop and Go
Smart Brake Support
Auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink
Automatic on/off headlights
Rain-sensing variable-intermittent windshield wipers

2017 Honda CR-V EX said:
2027 Honda CR-V EX - $27,735 MSRP w/Destination Charge
KEY STANDARD FEATURES FOR ALL CR-V MODELS
LED Daytime Running Lights(DRL)
Capless fuel filler
Easy fold-down 60/40 split rear seat
Bluetooth HandsFreeLink and streaming audio
Hill start assist
Multi-angle rearview camera with guidelines
Electric parking brake with automatic brake hold

EX adds to or replaces LX features
190-hp,1 1.5-liter turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 4-cylinder engine with direct injection
Remote engine start
18-inch alloy wheels
Multi-angle rearview camera with dynamic guidelines
Honda SensingTM suite of safety and driver-assistive features
Auto-on/off headlights with auto high-beam
Blind spot information system (BSI) with cross traffic monitor
Rear privacy glass
Security system
Smart Entry with push button start
One-touch power moonroof with tilt feature
Foglights
Heated, body-colored power side mirrors including integrated turn indicators
Dual-zone automatic climate control system
Retractable cargo area cover
Power windows with auto-up/down driver's and front passenger's windows
Power door and tailgate locks with walk-away auto-lock feature
Heated front seats
Driver's seat with 12-way power adjustment, including 4-way power lumbar support
7-inch Display Audio with electrostatic touch-screen
HondaLink
Apple CarPlayTM
Android AutoTM
SiriusXM Radio
SMS text message function
USB Audio Interface (1.0-amp & 1.5-amp ports in center console)
2nd-row 2.5 amp USB charging ports(2)

2017 Honda CR-V EX said:

Honda Sensing suite of safety and driver-assistive features

HondaLink
Apple CarPlay
Android Auto
Other than Apple CarPlay and Android Auto which are standard on Honda CR-V EX, Honda Sensing suite is something almost equivalent to Mazda's i-ActivSense with Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)、Lane Departure Warning (LDW)、Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)、Road Departure Mitigation System (RDM)、Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS)、etc.

Now I checked HondaLink and this included cell phone app can control many car functions such as remote engine start and remote door locks; it can also display many car informations such as tire pressure and door locking status. When I rode a new 2017 Lexus RX 350 with friends to a wedding a couple of days ago, the RX has the similar cell phone app included. Remember our MMS which has very limited features but requires a monthly fee? And the new genuine Mazda Remote Engine Start accessory comes with a separate fob and telescopic antenna? Mazda really needs to catch up in these areas!

Am_4AEqrloc5cLIxlIOEEsIXAhJr6XFlvnt-U3p3yESvcja7MQLneH0JSn6oJ6LYeQ=h310

Don;t care much of the Apple CarPlay and Android Auto....do like that the Honda has remote start though.

Thanks all. I could have likely gotten the CX5 for a little less but really not much (IMO). I closed on the Honda EX for $ 26,500 and got $ 6K for my CX9. The EX just ticked all the right buttons with "me". Android auto is a big deal for me where it is not for others. I get that. Even though the Nav in the CX5 in the touring would be there it can not hold a candle to Google maps in android auto or waze. And, not that I care much about it but the Honda EX comes with a sunroof standard where that is an option for the CX5 in the PEP package. Plus an added bonus I did not realize the EX had was the remote car start. That is nice up here in the Northeast. I test drove the 2017 EX and was surprised at how much I liked it over the EX 2016 oddly enough. Perhaps it was the 1.5 turbo. The 26,500 price plus the decent trade-in on my CX9 sealed the deal.

But I will truly miss Mazda. I really believe the CX5 would have been more fun to drive. I know this is not fair but the pain of dealing with the tranny issues on my CX9 still rung in my head.

Thanks again for all the input.

Good luck with it. Check back in a few weeks and let us know how you're enjoying it.

⋯ I test drove the 2017 EX and was surprised at how much I liked it over the EX 2016 oddly enough. Perhaps it was the 1.5 turbo. The 26,500 price plus the decent trade-in on my CX9 sealed the deal.
Well, you should feel much better test-driving a 2017 Honda CR-V than a 2016's because it's a complete redesign with much improvement in every categary over 2016's. 2017 CR-V is bigger、higher with a more powerful new engine、better quality interior、more features and functionalities (added a volume knob)、and better EPA fuel economy ratings than 2016's. It's also a little better looking than previous gen but still it's uglier than our CX-5 IMO. ;)

Well, you should feel much better test-driving a 2017 Honda CR-V than a 2016's because it's a complete redesign with much improvement in every categary over 2016's. 2017 CR-V is bigger、higher with a more powerful new engine、better quality interior、more features and functionalities (added a volume knob)、and better EPA fuel economy ratings than 2016's. It's also a little better looking than previous gen but still it's uglier than our CX-5 IMO. ;)

The true cost of ownership.

(rofl)

I kid, I kid....! Enjoy your new ride. And yes, yrwei this is an interesting case for Mazda not retaining a customer.

The reviewers' obsession over the volume knob on CRVs is ridiculous. There are volume buttons on the steering wheel (like all autos), and there was an up/down volume button on the dash. If that isn't enough, you/they aren't smart enough to be behind the wheel!

And yet enough people were annoyed by it that Honda brought it back. Sorry, but I agree it's too soon to remove a volume knob.

Even though the Nav in the CX5 in the touring would be there it can not hold a candle to Google maps in android auto or waze.
Not familiar with Android Auto. Can you actually use Waze with Android Auto? Meaning the Waze app would show up on the screen in the car? I know Apple Carplay restricts apps and so Waze isn't even supported.

Yes, that sucks. It's not that its complicated, its that its not ergonomic. I want a volume adjustment that I can use without looking at it. Preferably an absolute dial with hard stops at zero and max.

Yes, that sucks. It's not that its complicated, its that its not ergonomic. I want a volume adjustment that I can use without looking at it. Preferably an absolute dial with hard stops at zero and max.

Ease of use is important. In my CX5, my kiddo wants to hear Twinkle Twinkle from my iPod, I just use the commander to go to songs - turn right and go down letters to V because from V its faster to reach Twinkle ... and just scroll up and play. Boom its there. Fantastic implementation from ease of use.
Plus saw the 18 Accord - my thoughts about how Honda hires its designers is clear. Just like to tax filing day you have a dancing statue of liberty pointing to a shop to file taxes here - they have dancing CRZ dressed clowns advertising for designer positions. And the get the kind of people those costume ads will get you. To say its ugly is an insult to the word ugly. Its horrible.

Yeah, that's what the steering wheel buttons are for (no look adjustments). Not to harp on this, but I've never seen one customer complaint... just obnoxious reviewers flapping their gums about it. Not once in 2 1/2 years has it ever been a problem for us.

Now, having said that, that touchscreen menu is the pits, and one of the worst I've ever seen. It took us like 15 minutes trying to adjust the time for daylight savings. That system deserves massive derision. And the ride... yuck... all mushy and floaty.

But the volume knob? first world problems.

Real world city mpg for CRV is 21.9 >> http://www.motortrend.com/news/2017...-mpg-city-results-exceeds-epa-highway-rating/

That the 21.9 mpg number is so far below the 27 mpg estimate suggests how some small-displacement turbo engines may be especially sensitive to different driving styles.

If Unob was doing a 2.2 mile drive in 17 CRV his real world mpg would be -17 miles per gallon or so. Then he would have to post it multiple times in CRV forums.
One thing I noted with my Toyota and Mazda - if I drive hard, the mpg drop in Mazda is smaller compared to a Toyota. But 21.9 is horribad in city driving as i have always predicted that with tiny turbos.
It will be interesting to see what OP think if he drives city mostly with avg speeds in 25-35 mph range.

Back