How to install a dash cam on a 2017 mazda cx5

Here you go. Wish the USB input was on the other side but that small wire doesn't bother me at all. Barely see it.
5v50th.jpg

Aye that’s neat enough. Nice job.

How did you run the wire?

Ran it to my homelink mirror via the invisicord. I also added a 90 degree micro USB adapter because the OEM power adapter stuck out way too much. I can post that adapter and a better picture for you if you'd like when I get home.

Aye that’s neat enough. Nice job.

Yeah worked out well. Love that it all turns on and off automatically too.

Ran it to my homelink mirror via the invisicord. I also added a 90 degree micro USB adapter because the OEM power adapter stuck out way too much. I can post that adapter and a better picture for you if you'd like when I get home.

Yeah worked out well. Love that it all turns on and off automatically too.

Yeah paint a link to that adaptor would be much appreciated. I would imagine the invisicord will be compatible with many different dash cams? I haven't settled on the exact brand/model I'm getting. Also if you can direct me to a set of instructions that would be great

Yeah paint a link to that adaptor would be much appreciated. I would imagine the invisicord will be compatible with many different dash cams? I haven't settled on the exact brand/model I'm getting. Also if you can direct me to a set of instructions that would be great

Okay so the inivisord is the main cord that allows for power. There are different power hooks up for the invisicord but I got the micro usb option because my garmin dash cam is charged via micro usb. The invisicord is posted within this forum.

Here is the 90 degree micro usb adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned).

Here is a picture of everything tucked up and connected. You can't see anything from normal driving positions.
2iw25xu.jpg

So basically 90 degree micro usb adapter, plugs into the micro usb invisicord, and that just plugs into the homelink. Which is the red and yellow wire you see. Those insert locations are also posted within this thread.

I like it mounted on the right side. Virtually zero obstruction.
9175c179101fb6e10188c9eb435492b4.jpg

I thought about putting mine on the right side but you can't operate it from over there. If I want to save a video or a picture, I have to go by feel and hope I hit the correct button. Also, my dash cam has lane departure warning, FCW, moving traffic alters, red camera alerts, speed camera alerts. So being able to visually see the screen in my upper right of my visual feed is important. So I ultimately decided to keep it on my side. But having it completely out of the way would have been nice. Just not an option for my setup.

I have installed my Mini0805, as the first picture. I can't even see it. I have the same 90 degree USB adapter and I have soldered the wires, to the mirror connector. I have a 12v to 5V adaptor, tucked up over the sunglass holder.

I picked up a Garmin 35 dash cam for my GX... the part I don't like is the fixed mount you have to use on windshield. I was hoping I could use a suction cup based one but anything out there blocks part of the view of the camera lens. I plan to install next week.

One con of a Garmin Dash Cam 35 and an Invisicord.... the camera wants to boot in mass storage mode as if connected to a computer. This requires a few button pushes every time it powers up to get into dashcam mode. Not the most convenient and unlike my experience with my KDlinks and the Invisicord.

One con of a Garmin Dash Cam 35 and an Invisicord.... the camera wants to boot in mass storage mode as if connected to a computer. This requires a few button pushes every time it powers up to get into dashcam mode. Not the most convenient and unlike my experience with my KDlinks and the Invisicord.

This is not the case with my Garmin dash cam 45. It boots up into camera mode every time. It does tell me that the cable I have connected isn't supported to charge the device but it 100% charges that camera and that message goes away within 5 seconds.

This is not the case with my Garmin dash cam 45. It boots up into camera mode every time. It does tell me that the cable I have connected isn't supported to charge the device but it 100% charges that camera and that message goes away within 5 seconds.

I guess I should have gotten a 45 model... I noticed this behavior on the 35 when simply plugged into a USB charge battery as well so not an indictment on Invisicord either

Has anyone taken the plastic housing off of the piece behind the mirror? I see it has a split down the middle. This would be a great place to hide some of the wires for the camera. There also appears to be a big void in the headliner to hide extra wires.

We're purchasing a new cx-5 tonight, and I'll be installing a camera Wednesday.

Has anyone taken the plastic housing off of the piece behind the mirror? I see it has a split down the middle. This would be a great place to hide some of the wires for the camera. There also appears to be a big void in the headliner to hide extra wires.

Yes, they pull off easy. The slide off sideways, right side first.

The void behind the headliner is where I ran my wire. Ran it behind the liner, A pillar, down to the dash. Was pretty easy to make look tidy. I didn't hardwire mine, its just plugged into the 12V in the dash.

Thanks for the help.

Installed a ddpai mini 2 in the 17 cx-5 tonight.

Here's a during and after shot of the wires.

e1d1f23a2beb4053fd9ea94ba7cb4f12.jpg
fbb1af74341cd701e8d5f353d32f2993.jpg

Okay so the inivisord is the main cord that allows for power. There are different power hooks up for the invisicord but I got the micro usb option because my garmin dash cam is charged via micro usb. The invisicord is posted within this forum.

Here is the 90 degree micro usb adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned).

Here is a picture of everything tucked up and connected. You can't see anything from normal driving positions.
2iw25xu.jpg

So basically 90 degree micro usb adapter, plugs into the micro usb invisicord, and that just plugs into the homelink. Which is the red and yellow wire you see. Those insert locations are also posted within this thread.

Thanks, did you end up getting the invisicord with the 1.5 amp built in fuse?

Does the Invisicord step down power from 12v to 5v?? Or does the fusebox (if you order one with it) have also a step down in it? Most cameras are 5V so I'm curious where the voltage conversion takes place.

Does the Invisicord step down power from 12v to 5v?? Or does the fusebox (if you order one with it) have also a step down in it? Most cameras are 5V so I'm curious where the voltage conversion takes place.

If you get the USB model it will step down to 5V

Back